Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PS/2 ports are not working

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 7, 2004 10:27:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I bought a computer from a neighbor and the ps/2 ports are not working. I
looked in the bios and XP hardware manager to see if anything was
disabled, but everything seems fine. I looked at the ports and motherboard
and didn't see any obvious damage, although the pins on the keyboard plug
were bent. Anything else I should check before writing it off as
irreparable?
--
Mac Cool

More about : ports working

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 7, 2004 10:27:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
news:Xns951F930ECC9BCMacCool@24.25.9.43...
> I bought a computer from a neighbor and the ps/2 ports are not working. I
> looked in the bios and XP hardware manager to see if anything was
> disabled, but everything seems fine. I looked at the ports and motherboard
> and didn't see any obvious damage, although the pins on the keyboard plug
> were bent.

Well that would be an obvious reason it's not working :) 

> Anything else I should check before writing it off as
> irreparable?

You can straigten the pins with a pair of needlenose pliers. But then, you
can get new keyboards very cheap these days.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 7, 2004 11:08:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

You can also get USB keyboard/mice and forget about the PS2.

--Dan

"David Besack" <daveREMOVEbesack@mac.com> wrote in message
news:cchged$a4kf$1@netnews.upenn.edu...
>
> "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns951F930ECC9BCMacCool@24.25.9.43...
> > I bought a computer from a neighbor and the ps/2 ports are not working.
I
> > looked in the bios and XP hardware manager to see if anything was
> > disabled, but everything seems fine. I looked at the ports and
motherboard
> > and didn't see any obvious damage, although the pins on the keyboard
plug
> > were bent.
>
> Well that would be an obvious reason it's not working :) 
>
> > Anything else I should check before writing it off as
> > irreparable?
>
> You can straigten the pins with a pair of needlenose pliers. But then,
you
> can get new keyboards very cheap these days.
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 8, 2004 12:23:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Yes if he can get into the BIOS that is I guess... to enable the USB
keabord.
I'm having the same problem can't use the PS/2 port as it won't even let the
system to pass image into the screen and I've tried an USB and nothing, how
you going to tell the bios to enabe an USB keyboard????
Carlos


"dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:7TXGc.12406$qn4.1779@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com...
> You can also get USB keyboard/mice and forget about the PS2.
>
> --Dan
>
> "David Besack" <daveREMOVEbesack@mac.com> wrote in message
> news:cchged$a4kf$1@netnews.upenn.edu...
> >
> > "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
> > news:Xns951F930ECC9BCMacCool@24.25.9.43...
> > > I bought a computer from a neighbor and the ps/2 ports are not
working.
> I
> > > looked in the bios and XP hardware manager to see if anything was
> > > disabled, but everything seems fine. I looked at the ports and
> motherboard
> > > and didn't see any obvious damage, although the pins on the keyboard
> plug
> > > were bent.
> >
> > Well that would be an obvious reason it's not working :) 
> >
> > > Anything else I should check before writing it off as
> > > irreparable?
> >
> > You can straigten the pins with a pair of needlenose pliers. But then,
> you
> > can get new keyboards very cheap these days.
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 8, 2004 1:14:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

You reminded me, the guy said he already checked the bios settings so he
must have a usb keyboard and he must already have legacy usb enabled. Or
maybe his PS2 ports don't work in windows but do work in CMOS, which would
be a little odd and point to software problems in that case.

--Dan

"Carlos Arruda" <carlos@carlos-arruda.com> wrote in message
news:SYYGc.1835$tX3.1527@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
> Yes if he can get into the BIOS that is I guess... to enable the USB
> keabord.
> I'm having the same problem can't use the PS/2 port as it won't even let
the
> system to pass image into the screen and I've tried an USB and nothing,
how
> you going to tell the bios to enabe an USB keyboard????
> Carlos
>
>
> "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:7TXGc.12406$qn4.1779@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com...
> > You can also get USB keyboard/mice and forget about the PS2.
> >
> > --Dan
> >
> > "David Besack" <daveREMOVEbesack@mac.com> wrote in message
> > news:cchged$a4kf$1@netnews.upenn.edu...
> > >
> > > "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
> > > news:Xns951F930ECC9BCMacCool@24.25.9.43...
> > > > I bought a computer from a neighbor and the ps/2 ports are not
> working.
> > I
> > > > looked in the bios and XP hardware manager to see if anything was
> > > > disabled, but everything seems fine. I looked at the ports and
> > motherboard
> > > > and didn't see any obvious damage, although the pins on the keyboard
> > plug
> > > > were bent.
> > >
> > > Well that would be an obvious reason it's not working :) 
> > >
> > > > Anything else I should check before writing it off as
> > > > irreparable?
> > >
> > > You can straigten the pins with a pair of needlenose pliers. But
then,
> > you
> > > can get new keyboards very cheap these days.
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
July 8, 2004 2:13:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Mac Cool wrote:
> I bought a computer from a neighbor and the ps/2 ports are not working. I
> looked in the bios and XP hardware manager to see if anything was
> disabled, but everything seems fine. I looked at the ports and motherboard
> and didn't see any obvious damage, although the pins on the keyboard plug
> were bent. Anything else I should check before writing it off as
> irreparable?

When you say PS/2 ports, I assume that both the keyboard and mouse are
not working? This will not help you if that is your problem, but I
thought I would relay to you a problem I recently encountered with the
PS/2 mouse port:

It seems that every time I booted with the printer powered up (a
Lexmark model) the mouse driver would not load when it started Windows.
Turn off the printer and everything was fine, the mouse loaded. Once
the mouse driver was loaded, you could turn on the printer and
everything continued to work fine. The operator was turning on the
power for the computer and printer via a power strip and the printer
powered up when the power strip was turned on. Apparently the printer
needed to be plugged into A/C in order to retain its previous state with
regard to power.

I just thought I would mention this in case you were having trouble
only with the mouse port.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 8, 2004 9:24:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> said:

> You reminded me, the guy said he already checked the bios settings so he
> must have a usb keyboard and he must already have legacy usb enabled.

There's always a smart kid in the class ;) 

Yes to both and a USB mouse as well. I want to sell it so that is why I
hoped to fix the ps/2 ports.
--
Mac Cool
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 8, 2004 9:29:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"David Besack" <daveREMOVEbesack@mac.com> said:

>> I bought a computer from a neighbor and the ps/2 ports are not
>> working. I looked in the bios and XP hardware manager to see if
>> anything was disabled, but everything seems fine. I looked at the
>> ports and motherboard and didn't see any obvious damage, although
>> the pins on the keyboard plug were bent.
>
> Well that would be an obvious reason it's not working :) 

It's an obvious reason for the keyboard not to work, but that wouldn't
explain the mouse would it?
--
Mac Cool
July 8, 2004 10:44:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Just a thought - are the keyboard and mouse plugged in the correct sockets?
Daft I know, but if you try booting with them transposed the mouse sometimes
works anyway, but the keyboard does not (at least, thats what happened when
I connected them incorrectly in a rush)

<user@domain.invalid> wrote in message
news:Wz_Gc.210923$Gx4.139167@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>
>
> Mac Cool wrote:
> > I bought a computer from a neighbor and the ps/2 ports are not working.
I
> > looked in the bios and XP hardware manager to see if anything was
> > disabled, but everything seems fine. I looked at the ports and
motherboard
> > and didn't see any obvious damage, although the pins on the keyboard
plug
> > were bent. Anything else I should check before writing it off as
> > irreparable?
>
> When you say PS/2 ports, I assume that both the keyboard and mouse are
> not working? This will not help you if that is your problem, but I
> thought I would relay to you a problem I recently encountered with the
> PS/2 mouse port:
>
> It seems that every time I booted with the printer powered up (a
> Lexmark model) the mouse driver would not load when it started Windows.
> Turn off the printer and everything was fine, the mouse loaded. Once
> the mouse driver was loaded, you could turn on the printer and
> everything continued to work fine. The operator was turning on the
> power for the computer and printer via a power strip and the printer
> powered up when the power strip was turned on. Apparently the printer
> needed to be plugged into A/C in order to retain its previous state with
> regard to power.
>
> I just thought I would mention this in case you were having trouble
> only with the mouse port.
>
July 9, 2004 6:01:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 18:27:12 GMT, Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote:

>I bought a computer from a neighbor and the ps/2 ports are not working. I
>looked in the bios and XP hardware manager to see if anything was
>disabled, but everything seems fine. I looked at the ports and motherboard
>and didn't see any obvious damage, although the pins on the keyboard plug
>were bent. Anything else I should check before writing it off as
>irreparable?

let some your friend (hobby electrician or so) inspect it, if the
ports are getting +5V there; if not that can be bypassed: taking the
+5V line from nearby Usb connector with soldering thin isolated wire.
Probably the ports will work than (I had a case like this & repaired
the MoBo this way ...
--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
& visit my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com
"Tualatin OC-ed / BX-Slot1 / inaudible setup!"
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##
!