Are mains surge protectors needed in the UK?

lem

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Are surge protectors on the main power supply actually needed in
the UK?

here in the UK we have few overhead mains power lines and have a
relatively steady mains power supply when compared to many other
countries (including the US).

However there seem to be very many surge protector products
advertised for sale in the UK (Argos, Maplins, etc).

I am quite sure it is not bad practice to use a surge protector but
in fact I have never known anyone who has has a problem from a
surge coming in through the power supply.

So personally I don't bother using a surge protector on my PC.

Am I being too complacent?

"Lem" <lem@mail.com> wrote in message
> Are surge protectors on the main power supply actually needed in
> the UK?
>
> here in the UK we have few overhead mains power lines and have a
> relatively steady mains power supply when compared to many other
> countries (including the US).
>
> However there seem to be very many surge protector products
> advertised for sale in the UK (Argos, Maplins, etc).
>
> I am quite sure it is not bad practice to use a surge protector but
> in fact I have never known anyone who has has a problem from a
> surge coming in through the power supply.
>
> So personally I don't bother using a surge protector on my PC.
>
> Am I being too complacent?

Do you live in an area where lightning is frequent? A lightning strike that
is merely _near_ to an underground utility circuit can induce damaging
voltages into them meaning that your power mains, telephone, and cable TV
are all possible carriers. Admittedly there is no place in the UK that I've
heard of that experiences the sort of storms that ravage parts of the USA,
Flordia comes immediately to mind, but if you ever do have even one event
then a small investment in protection would be invaluable.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Bagpuss

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 15:47:28 +0100, Lem <lem@mail.com> wrote:

<snip>

>Am I being too complacent?

I've never used one. I've never had a surge blow anything either. My
next door neigbour as one for her PC, but makes SFA difference. Of
course in our house the fuse box has one of those quick trip over
fueses where even if a light bulb blows you have to reset the trip
switch, but even then its only ever the light bulb circuit that trips.

HarrY

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 16:10:40 +0100, Bagpuss
<rich.bagpuss.ard.hal.bagusss.ford@low.orbit> wrote:

>On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 15:47:28 +0100, Lem <lem@mail.com> wrote:
>

><snip>
>

>>Am I being too complacent?
>
>I've never used one. I've never had a surge blow anything either. My
>next door neigbour as one for her PC, but makes SFA difference. Of
>course in our house the fuse box has one of those quick trip over
>fueses where even if a light bulb blows you have to reset the trip
>switch, but even then its only ever the light bulb circuit that trips.

We are the same with regard to the fuse box tripping out.

I do have surge protectors on my PC equipment. For an extra few quid
it seemed a good safety measure.

Chances of a power surge are probably 5000 to 1. But wouldnt you feel
silly if you were that 5000th person?

At then end of the day its your call. Do you feel lucky? Just how many
thunderstorms are we having compared with last year, and the year
before?

cheers

from "The Harbinger of Doom"
:eek:)

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Lem wrote:
> Are surge protectors on the main power supply actually needed in
> the UK?
>
> here in the UK we have few overhead mains power lines and have a
> relatively steady mains power supply when compared to many other
> countries (including the US).
>
> However there seem to be very many surge protector products
> advertised for sale in the UK (Argos, Maplins, etc).
>
> I am quite sure it is not bad practice to use a surge protector but
> in fact I have never known anyone who has has a problem from a
> surge coming in through the power supply.
>
> So personally I don't bother using a surge protector on my PC.
>
> Am I being too complacent?

I've never used one either, no probs.

I think that if you need a new multi plug then you might as well get one
with a surge protector but I wouldn't get one otherwise.
--
Nick
-----------

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

<snip>

> I've never used one either, no probs.
>
> I think that if you need a new multi plug then you might as well get
> one with a surge protector but I wouldn't get one otherwise.

Actually you might as well get one that protects the modem/DSL as well.
--
Nick
-----------

Harry <A@A.A> wrote:

> I do have surge protectors on my PC equipment. For an extra
> few quid it seemed a good safety measure.
>
> Chances of a power surge are probably 5000 to 1. But wouldnt
> you feel silly if you were that 5000th person?
>
> At then end of the day its your call. Do you feel lucky? Just
> how many thunderstorms are we having compared with last year,
> and the year before?

I don't want to take stupid risks. But I don't stupidly want to
spend money to prevent almost non-existent risks.

I don't have a surge protector on my TV or my stereo. So, do I
need one on my PC?

Bagpuss

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 16:58:57 +0100, Lem <lem@mail.com> wrote:

>>>I've never used one. I've never had a surge blow anything
>>>either. My next door neigbour as one for her PC, but makes SFA
>>>difference. Of course in our house the fuse box has one of
>>>those quick trip over fueses where even if a light bulb blows
>>>you have to reset the trip switch, but even then its only ever
>>>the light bulb circuit that trips.
>

>Harry <A@A.A> wrote:
>>
>> I do have surge protectors on my PC equipment. For an extra
>> few quid it seemed a good safety measure.
>>
>> Chances of a power surge are probably 5000 to 1. But wouldnt
>> you feel silly if you were that 5000th person?
>>
>> At then end of the day its your call. Do you feel lucky? Just
>> how many thunderstorms are we having compared with last year,
>> and the year before?
>

>I don't want to take stupid risks. But I don't stupidly want to
>spend money to prevent almost non-existent risks.
>
>I don't have a surge protector on my TV or my stereo. So, do I
>need one on my PC?

The only time I know of a lighting strike potentially affecting
equipment round here was where I used to work. But then the lighting
hit a cable outsite, passed down into the network switch then fanned
out from there blowing several PCs and melting the switch unit and the
wall mounted box it was located in. Of course a mains surge protector
would have done nothing for that.

If you have a quick trip fuse box in the house its probably not worth
it. If you don't then OK your PC is saved, but your TV, HiFi, Fridge
e.t.c is screwed :)

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

In article <9520A0A2FB83791F3A2@130.133.1.4>, Lem says...
> Are surge protectors on the main power supply actually needed in
> the UK?
>
> here in the UK we have few overhead mains power lines and have a
> relatively steady mains power supply when compared to many other
> countries (including the US).
>
> However there seem to be very many surge protector products
> advertised for sale in the UK (Argos, Maplins, etc).
>
> I am quite sure it is not bad practice to use a surge protector but
> in fact I have never known anyone who has has a problem from a
> surge coming in through the power supply.
>
> So personally I don't bother using a surge protector on my PC.
>
> Am I being too complacent?

Yup.
Have you never witnessed lightning in your area? WE've had some in East
Yorks as recent as this week.

Also there must be a need for one because I've just had to replace my
Belkin (free of charge) because it committed hari kari but it did its
job.

Remember a surge can come from alot of places such as a workman hitting
the mains lines with a digger.

--
Conor

Dumb as a box of rocks...

Andy

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Lem" <lem@mail.com> wrote in message
> Are surge protectors on the main power supply actually needed in
> the UK?
>
> here in the UK we have few overhead mains power lines and have a
> relatively steady mains power supply when compared to many other
> countries (including the US).
>
> However there seem to be very many surge protector products
> advertised for sale in the UK (Argos, Maplins, etc).
>
> I am quite sure it is not bad practice to use a surge protector but
> in fact I have never known anyone who has has a problem from a
> surge coming in through the power supply.
>
> So personally I don't bother using a surge protector on my PC.
>
> Am I being too complacent?

unlikely youll ever have a problem but it does happen to some people.
for the sake of a few quid ive got one downstairs for the tv, amp etc and
upstairs on the pc. If they were expensive i woudnt bother but as theyre
cheap, theyre worth having imo.

Lem wrote:

> Are surge protectors on the main power supply actually needed in
> the UK?
>
> here in the UK we have few overhead mains power lines and have a
> relatively steady mains power supply when compared to many other
> countries (including the US).
>
> However there seem to be very many surge protector products
> advertised for sale in the UK (Argos, Maplins, etc).
>
> I am quite sure it is not bad practice to use a surge protector but
> in fact I have never known anyone who has has a problem from a
> surge coming in through the power supply.
>
> So personally I don't bother using a surge protector on my PC.
>
> Am I being too complacent?

Definitely good to have one as an insurance. Heavy machinery can induce
start currents and outages can result in spikes. Also heavy crossposting
can overload the system.

Lem <lem@mail.com> wrote in news:9520A0A2FB83791F3A2@130.133.1.4:

> Am I being too complacent?

Like others said .. depends.
I know ONE person whose system was destroyed by lightning.

Here's a secret .. well I worked it out myself so could be wrong but...

Instead of buying an expensive one, just buy the small cube thingy (like
the old two-ways) and then run a multi socket extension from it. Last I
looked they were less that 15 quid with a phone/modem socket whassname..

--
Lordy

Lem wrote:

> Are surge protectors on the main power supply actually needed in
> the UK?
>
> here in the UK we have few overhead mains power lines and have a
> relatively steady mains power supply when compared to many other
> countries (including the US).

Wasn't there a big black out around London last year just after the
North American black out?

> However there seem to be very many surge protector products
> advertised for sale in the UK (Argos, Maplins, etc).

A surge protector can be very simple, doesn't need to cost a lot.

> I am quite sure it is not bad practice to use a surge protector but
> in fact I have never known anyone who has has a problem from a
> surge coming in through the power supply.

My first PSU was killed by a spike, but then you don't know me. At a
place where I once worked, they had problems with fuse timings on the
entire building, the engineers would sometimes test which fuses went
first, thereby inducing enormous currents in the power network.

> So personally I don't bother using a surge protector on my PC.
>
> Am I being too complacent?

Entirely up to you.

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

How about using a plug with the correct sized fuse in it?

Probably a lot cheaper?

Probably a waste of money.

You probably have a greater chance of deing struck by
lightnening.

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

The frequency of destructive surges is about once every
eight years. What is that frequency in your neighborhood?
That is a question that only you (and your long term
neighbors) can answer. Surge damage is a function of
underlying geology, frequency of CG lightning, and a properly
wired building. Properly wired means all incoming utilities
enter at same location and use the same single point earth
ground.

What can affect your frequency of surges? How and what kind
of trees are nearby (that might act as lightning rods)?
Underground utilities such as transcontinental pipeline?
Monolithic earth means better equipotential geology and
therefore less probability of transients. Again, time to
discuss history with the neighbors.

Effective 'whole house' protectors cost about £1 per
protected appliance. Is it necessary? Only you can provide
the other numbers.

In the meantime, plug-in protectors are not effective, cost
tens of times more money per protected appliance, and are
typically undersized. No sense wasting good money on
ineffective protectors that don't even claim to protect from
the typically destructive transient. A protector is only as
effective as its earth ground - which plug-in power strip and
UPS manufacturers fear you might learn.

half_pint wrote:

> How about using a plug with the correct sized fuse in it?

No, a fuse takes time to burn. In the meantime the spike will do its work.

> Probably a lot cheaper?
>
> Probably a waste of money.

If you're cheapskate, you can make one up from an old 50nF high voltage
capacitor. Anyway, they don't eat any bread and last a lifetime.

> You probably have a greater chance of deing struck by
> lightnening.

Depens where you stand :)

Bagpuss wrote:

>>Harry <A@A.A> wrote:
>>
>>>I do have surge protectors on my PC equipment. For an extra
>>>few quid it seemed a good safety measure.
>>>
>>>Chances of a power surge are probably 5000 to 1. But wouldnt
>>>you feel silly if you were that 5000th person?
>>>
>>>At then end of the day its your call. Do you feel lucky? Just
>>>how many thunderstorms are we having compared with last year,
>>>and the year before?
>>

>>I don't want to take stupid risks. But I don't stupidly want to
>>spend money to prevent almost non-existent risks.
>>
>>I don't have a surge protector on my TV or my stereo. So, do I
>>need one on my PC?
>

> The only time I know of a lighting strike potentially affecting
> equipment round here was where I used to work. But then the lighting
> hit a cable outsite, passed down into the network switch then fanned
> out from there blowing several PCs and melting the switch unit and the
> wall mounted box it was located in. Of course a mains surge protector
> would have done nothing for that.
>
> If you have a quick trip fuse box in the house its probably not worth
> it.

Circuit breakers and fuses, quick trip or not, will not prevent equipment
faults. They are there to prevent fires after the equipment fault.

Lem <lem@mail.com> wrote:

>Are surge protectors on the main power supply actually needed in
>the UK?
>
>here in the UK we have few overhead mains power lines and have a
>relatively steady mains power supply when compared to many other
>countries (including the US).
>
>However there seem to be very many surge protector products
>advertised for sale in the UK (Argos, Maplins, etc).
>
>I am quite sure it is not bad practice to use a surge protector but
>in fact I have never known anyone who has has a problem from a
>surge coming in through the power supply.
>
>So personally I don't bother using a surge protector on my PC.
>
>Am I being too complacent?

Probably. In my experience mains surges do not tend to cause problems, either your
trip switch or the general robustness of most devices rules them out.

However.....

modems are different. If the strike hits a telephone pole then the resulting surge
down the phone line can easily take out a modem, and if you're unlucky your mobo as
well. Usually though your modem will act as a very expensive fuse.

Buy a surge protection device that also protects modems and you should be okay. IMHO
Belkin are the best, but others may have a different view.

Look at it this way. A couple of years ago we had a massive storm in our area -
apparently there were 30,000 odd lightening strikes over the county. (according to
the electricity people). Over a two week period, I replaced several dozen modems for
people who "suddenly couldn't get online". My supplier ran out of stock! Even the
local PCWorld ran out (someone from there even phoned my business to see if we had
any modems left in stock that they could buy!!).

You can save £30 or so and take the risk - its up to you in the end.

--
Email addy is a spam trap - Spam will go to a spammer
Please post in the group to reply.

"Stormsinger" <support@wirednic.com> wrote in message
> Lem <lem@mail.com> wrote:
>
> >Are surge protectors on the main power supply actually needed in
> >the UK?
> >
> >here in the UK we have few overhead mains power lines and have a
> >relatively steady mains power supply when compared to many other
> >countries (including the US).
> >
> >However there seem to be very many surge protector products
> >advertised for sale in the UK (Argos, Maplins, etc).
> >
> >I am quite sure it is not bad practice to use a surge protector but
> >in fact I have never known anyone who has has a problem from a
> >surge coming in through the power supply.
> >
> >So personally I don't bother using a surge protector on my PC.
> >
> >Am I being too complacent?
>
> Probably. In my experience mains surges do not tend to cause problems,
either your
> trip switch or the general robustness of most devices rules them out.
>
> However.....
>
> modems are different. If the strike hits a telephone pole then the
resulting surge
> down the phone line can easily take out a modem, and if you're unlucky
your mobo as
> well. Usually though your modem will act as a very expensive fuse.
>
> Buy a surge protection device that also protects modems and you should be
okay. IMHO
> Belkin are the best, but others may have a different view.
>
> Look at it this way. A couple of years ago we had a massive storm in our
area -
> apparently there were 30,000 odd lightening strikes over the county.
(according to
> the electricity people). Over a two week period, I replaced several dozen
modems for
> people who "suddenly couldn't get online". My supplier ran out of stock!
Even the
> local PCWorld ran out (someone from there even phoned my business to see
if we had
> any modems left in stock that they could buy!!).
>
> You can save £30 or so and take the risk - its up to you in the end.
>

> --
> Email addy is a spam trap - Spam will go to a spammer
> Please post in the group to reply.

I had a house electrical check a few weeks back from the local council, 2
guys, well one guy and his chimp, while doing it i said i do not want any
testing or surges as i run a large lan, although pre powerd down, they said
it was a good job i told them as at the end its normal to do something and
shove a surge? of some kind around the system.

They said, and i knew before hand even tho switched off at the wall but
still plugged in it could have blown the lot, how true this is i dont know

Never had a surge pretector in years, always thought about it but never got
round to it, ok the LAN i have is cheap old junk, but the data should i lose
it would be a proble

half_pint wrote:

> How about using a plug with the correct sized fuse in it?

The proper fuse is always a good idea but fuses do not protect from power
line faults. They blow after your 'protected' device is fried and pulling
too much current as a result of it.

> Probably a lot cheaper?
>
> Probably a waste of money.
>
> You probably have a greater chance of deing struck by
> lightnening.

lem

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Stormsinger <support@wirednic.com> wrote:

> modems are different. If the strike hits a telephone pole then
> the resulting surge down the phone line can easily take out a
> modem, and if you're unlucky your mobo as well. Usually though
> your modem will act as a very expensive fuse.
>
> Buy a surge protection device that also protects modems and
> you should be okay. IMHO Belkin are the best, but others may
> have a different view.
>
> Look at it this way. A couple of years ago we had a massive
> storm in our area - apparently there were 30,000 odd
> lightening strikes over the county. (according to the
> electricity people). Over a two week period, I replaced
> several dozen modems for people who "suddenly couldn't get
> online". My supplier ran out of stock! Even the local PCWorld
> ran out (someone from there even phoned my business to see if
> we had any modems left in stock that they could buy!!).
>
> You can save £30 or so and take the risk - its up to you in
> the end.

See this posting to a second thread started with the same posting
as this one. news:40EDC0A0.31DADBE8@hotmail.com

It says the following.

====== QUOTE =======

A plug-in surge protector is on the order of tens of times
more money per protected appliance. Furthermore it does not
even claim to protect from the typically destructive
transient. Protectors do not stop, block, filter, or absorb
destructive transients. Ineffective protector manufacturers
get one to wish that is how they work. In reality, the
protector is not protection. Protector and protection are two
separate components of a surge protection system. Effective
systems must include the protection. And the connection to
protection is either a hardwire (less than 3 meters) or a
protector (also part of a less than 3 meter connection).

In short, the protection is called single point earth
ground. Destructive surges may enter the building seeking
earth ground. If not earthed (either by hardwire connection
or by surge protector), then the destructive surge may find a
path to earth ground via computer. One classic example is due
to a direct strike to lines highest on utility poles - AC
electric. Incoming on AC electric, through computer and its
modem, then outgoing to earth ground via phone line. Many
then *assume* the surge entered on phone line, damaged modem,
then stopped - a violation of even primary school science.

Effective protection means all incoming utilities are
earthed before entering the building. All must be earthed to
the same single point earth ground. That means even the CATV
wire drops down to earth ground, connects ground block 'less
than 3 meters' to that earth ground, and only then rises back
up to enter building. Again, no surge protector required
because earthing is accomplished by a direct and short
hardwire connection.

These concepts are explained further including some examples
of 'whole house' protectors for AC mains at:
"RJ-11 line protection?" on 30 Dec 2003 through 12 Jan 2004 in
pdx.computing at
http://tinyurl.com/2hl53 and
"strange problem after power surge/thunderstorm" in
comp.dcom.modems on 31 Mar 2003 at
http://tinyurl.com/2gumt .

Additional information on how surge protectors work, how
they are rated, installed, etc was posted in:
"Opinions on Surge Protectors?" on 7 Jul 2003 in the
newsgroup alt.certification.a-plus at
http://tinyurl.com/l3m9 and
"Power Surge" on 29 Sept 2003 in the newsgroup
alt.comp.hardware at
http://tinyurl.com/p1rk

One industry professional demonstrates how two structures
are protected. Notice every wire entering each structure
(building and tower) must first connect to single point
ground. Even the buried phone wire carries a potentially
destructive transient which is why even buried wires must
enter building at the service entrance with the 'less than 3
meter' connection to earth ground:

http://www.erico.com/public/library/fep/technotes/tncr002.pdf

How do we identify ineffective protectors? 1) No dedicated
connection to earth ground AND 2) manufacturer avoids all
discussion about earthing. A surge protector is only as
effective as its earth ground - the protection.

Those ineffective protector manufacturers fear you might
learn about the essential earth ground AND discover that
plug-in protectors cost tens of times more money per protected
appliance.

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Lem <lem@mail.com> wrote in news:9520E94266B391F3A2@130.133.1.4:

[SNIP informative stuff I'm sure]

I just dont understand this bit..

> plug-in protectors cost tens of times more money per protected
> appliance.

"tens of times" more than what??

--
Lordy

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Johannes H Andersen" <johs@sizefitterlikneasfuongtuintgsjadfasejk.com>
wrote in message

> half_pint wrote:
> >
> > How about using a plug with the correct sized fuse in it?
>
> No, a fuse takes time to burn. In the meantime the spike will do its work.

I still think it would prevent damage to your computer.
A lightening conductor myght be a better bet.

whats the point in saving your computer if you house is burnt out and
gutted?

I guess you can log on and tell folks about it :O)

> > Probably a lot cheaper?
> >
> > Probably a waste of money.
>
> If you're cheapskate, you can make one up from an old 50nF high voltage
> capacitor. Anyway, they don't eat any bread and last a lifetime.
>
> > You probably have a greater chance of deing struck by
> > lightnening.
>
> Depens where you stand :)

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Lem wrote:

[...]
> See this posting to a second thread started with the same posting
> as this one. news:40EDC0A0.31DADBE8@hotmail.com
>
> It says the following.
>
> ====== QUOTE =======

The problem with this quote is that people might think it's too
complicated and simply give up. But protection is a matter of degree.
Clearly if it is a lab with expensive scientific equipment, they would
have more full proof protection, but my assertion is that simple
protection is better than no protection. A 50nF high voltage capacitor
across the appliance can kill many spikes and possibly increase the
life of a PSU, in many cases such protection is already included. Then
you can go on with more elaborate surge protectors for more and more
rare incidents. All these incidents are possible with associated
probabilities. In any case, a decent surge protector is a once only
investment, so why making a fuss about it?

Lem wrote:

> Stormsinger <support@wirednic.com> wrote:
>

>>modems are different. If the strike hits a telephone pole then
>>the resulting surge down the phone line can easily take out a
>>modem, and if you're unlucky your mobo as well. Usually though
>>your modem will act as a very expensive fuse.
>>
>>Buy a surge protection device that also protects modems and
>>you should be okay. IMHO Belkin are the best, but others may
>>have a different view.
>>
>>Look at it this way. A couple of years ago we had a massive
>>storm in our area - apparently there were 30,000 odd
>>lightening strikes over the county. (according to the
>>electricity people). Over a two week period, I replaced
>>several dozen modems for people who "suddenly couldn't get
>>online". My supplier ran out of stock! Even the local PCWorld
>>ran out (someone from there even phoned my business to see if
>>we had any modems left in stock that they could buy!!).
>>
>>You can save £30 or so and take the risk - its up to you in
>>the end.
>>

> See this posting to a second thread started with the same posting
> as this one. news:40EDC0A0.31DADBE8@hotmail.com
>
> It says the following.

The article below is misleading. They talk of earthing "all incoming
utilities" but fail to recognize that any incoming 'utility' is not simply
a single wire, as evidenced by their stating "even the CATV wire drops down
to earth ground." It's a coax cable folks, not a 'wire', and the wire in
the middle is not 'earthed' or else there's be no signal. It IS however,
'protected', to some degree, by the shield, which is what's earthed.

Power lines are more problematic. True, the incoming power line 'earth'
should be 'earthed', as they describe, but the others are not, or else your
incoming power would be a direct short to each other through this common
'earth' point.

The 'protection' for power and signal lines is an arc gap suppressor to
that common earth ground which, hopefully, arcs a lightning strike to earth
at that point rather than having it find earth through the devices, or you,
in the home so lucky you end up with only a few hundreds, or thousands, of
volts transients dancing around on the home wiring and your home equipment
with the brunt going through the arc gap suppressors.

Now you, as a human being, are probably safe from those remaining
transients, unless you have your finger stuck in a socket, but electronic
devices are not as they ARE plugged into the socket. And it is those
transients that an in-house transient/surge suppressor is meant to deal
with, not 'lightning strikes' per see.

It is true that small in-house 'protectors' are essentially useless if the
home utilities AREN'T properly protected (earthed) but the implication
derived from the small snippet that if the home has 'proper' incoming surge
suppression that it's then 'safe' for electronic devices (I.E. they're
sufficiently 'protected') is simply hogwash.

It should also be obvious that if the surge protector has no path to earth
then it's function is lost, which means the outlet(s) it's plugged into
must have the proper earth, or it's own wired earth. I.E. Using a '3 wire
to 2 wire adapter' on a surge suppressor disables the majority of it's
protection.

'Protection' is a multistage process. You have the 'protection' on the
utilities themselves, meaning the power company equipment/line outside the
home, which absorb the brunt of most faults. Then there is the protection
going into the home, which depends on the incoming line impedance to limit
the surge. And then you have protection (or lack thereof) from the
'remnants' left on the interior wiring.