WinXP will not install firewire card driver

This one is strange. A friend ask me to help get his Belkin (TI chipset)
firewire card working. XP recognizes "new hardware", and correctly ID's the
card, but stops the driver install process with a message that says,"New
hardware could not be installed. Data is invalid. Code 1."

I tried removing the device (Control Panel, System), made sure the card was
seated properly, changed PCI slots, cleared the CMOS, checked the 5V rail
through the BIOS monitor (steady 4.99V), and tried installing in Safe Mode
(and various combinations with multiple attempts). Also tried installing a
different firewire board, one having a 4 pin connector for power directly
from the power supply.

The motherboard is an ASUS KT333 (VIA chipset). It is set to jumperless
mode.

I've never had a firewire card fail to install with XP, and the only
possibility I found with a "google" is someone who said they fixed the same
type problem by increasing the 5V rail to 5.15...don't appear to have that
option with this board, or on the power supply itself.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Fitz
3 answers Last reply
More about winxp install firewire card driver

    Checkout the info at this website.
    Should fix your problem.

    http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Tips.htm#probleminst

    Cheers,

    John S.

    "Fitz" <akfitz@mtaonline.net> wrote in message
    > This one is strange. A friend ask me to help get his Belkin (TI chipset)
    > firewire card working. XP recognizes "new hardware", and correctly ID's
    the
    > card, but stops the driver install process with a message that says,"New
    > hardware could not be installed. Data is invalid. Code 1."
    >
    > I tried removing the device (Control Panel, System), made sure the card
    was
    > seated properly, changed PCI slots, cleared the CMOS, checked the 5V rail
    > through the BIOS monitor (steady 4.99V), and tried installing in Safe Mode
    > (and various combinations with multiple attempts). Also tried installing a
    > different firewire board, one having a 4 pin connector for power directly
    > from the power supply.
    >
    > The motherboard is an ASUS KT333 (VIA chipset). It is set to jumperless
    > mode.
    >
    > I've never had a firewire card fail to install with XP, and the only
    > possibility I found with a "google" is someone who said they fixed the
    same
    > type problem by increasing the 5V rail to 5.15...don't appear to have that
    > option with this board, or on the power supply itself.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Fitz

    Excellent link- thanks (haven't got a chance to get over to the guys
    comp yet, but it sounds like the fix)!

    Fitz

    Thanks again- it worked great. Ran the add hardware wizard after changing
    permissions and drivers installed first try.
    Fitz

Homebuilt Hardware Firewire Systems