case cooling, blowing air in instead of out.

Most sites have seen recommend you blow air out of the case, and if possible
have air intake in the front to create airflow through the case. Blowing air
out simply means that components don't overheat for example powersupplies
and vga coolers. I also know that if you open the case and stick a fan
beside it everything cools, the hd cools, the motherboard cools even the
powersupply cools. So has anyone tried turning all the fans so they blow air
into the case? hotter case? cooler case? no difference?
6 answers Last reply
More about case cooling blowing

    Monster wrote:
    > Most sites have seen recommend you blow air out of the case, and if possible
    > have air intake in the front to create airflow through the case. Blowing air
    > out simply means that components don't overheat for example powersupplies
    > and vga coolers. I also know that if you open the case and stick a fan
    > beside it everything cools, the hd cools, the motherboard cools even the
    > powersupply cools. So has anyone tried turning all the fans so they blow air
    > into the case? hotter case? cooler case? no difference?

    Well, a friend on mine did it without thinking, his normal mode of
    operation, and it was nice and toasty inside.

    How do you expect anything to be cooled without letting the heat out?

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 02:09:59 +0000, Monster wrote:

    > Most sites have seen recommend you blow air out of the case, and if possible
    > have air intake in the front to create airflow through the case. Blowing air
    > out simply means that components don't overheat for example powersupplies
    > and vga coolers. I also know that if you open the case and stick a fan
    > beside it everything cools, the hd cools, the motherboard cools even the
    > powersupply cools. So has anyone tried turning all the fans so they blow air
    > into the case?

    Considering 90% of the people in the world are idiots, I'm sure someone
    has.

    hotter case? cooler case? no difference?

    What do you think? That's all that matters.

    "Monster" <do.not.email@yo.mamas.hairy.ass.com> wrote in message
    > Most sites have seen recommend you blow air out of the case, and if
    possible
    > have air intake in the front to create airflow through the case. Blowing
    air
    > out simply means that components don't overheat for example powersupplies
    > and vga coolers. I also know that if you open the case and stick a fan
    > beside it everything cools, the hd cools, the motherboard cools even the
    > powersupply cools. So has anyone tried turning all the fans so they blow
    air
    > into the case? hotter case? cooler case? no difference?

    Do what you've read. It works.

    Built my box last winter. CPU around 43-45 degrees, left exhaust fan off to
    keep noise down. Now with summer here, CPU running 51-54 degrees. Added an
    exhaust fan and temp dropped about 6-8 degrees.

    Play around with it and see for yourself. No need to re invent the wheel,
    but satisfy your curiosity.

    --
    Four boxes protect our freedom: the soap box, the
    ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

    In article <10f4u4ok7kf62bd@corp.supernews.com>,
    pheasant <kiavan02@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >"Monster" <do.not.email@yo.mamas.hairy.ass.com> wrote in message
    >> Most sites have seen recommend you blow air out of the case, and if
    >possible
    >> have air intake in the front to create airflow through the case. Blowing
    >air
    >> out simply means that components don't overheat for example powersupplies
    >> and vga coolers. I also know that if you open the case and stick a fan
    >> beside it everything cools, the hd cools, the motherboard cools even the
    >> powersupply cools. So has anyone tried turning all the fans so they blow
    >air
    >> into the case? hotter case? cooler case? no difference?
    >>

    >Do what you've read. It works.
    >
    >Built my box last winter. CPU around 43-45 degrees, left exhaust fan off to
    >keep noise down. Now with summer here, CPU running 51-54 degrees. Added an
    >exhaust fan and temp dropped about 6-8 degrees.
    >
    >Play around with it and see for yourself. No need to re invent the wheel,
    >but satisfy your curiosity.

    The only thing that cools your box off is air coming in one side and
    exiting the other side, (or reasonable distributed openings), being
    warmed in the process. Each of the heat generating components (CPU,
    video card, PSU, disk) needs their share of the airflow. The more air
    volume the closer the components will be to ambient (the temp of the
    intake air.) If all you fans blew in you'd have a bottleneck on the
    exhaust.

    I find that one fan blowing in, low on the front of a mini-tower, and
    an exhaust fan high on the rear works fine, even though I've got lots
    of PCI cards and 3 HDD inside my case.

    Before you spend any time or money modifying you case I suggest you
    get software monitoring for the CPU and disks set up, or even
    a real thermometer so you know where you are now and what effect
    your changes make.

    --
    Al Dykes
    -----------

    To get MAXIMUM cooling in a tower case, the front panel fan should pull air
    in and the rear panel fans should blow air out. (If you direct ALL fans to
    blow air into the case, the system will overheat.)

    --
    DaveW

    Monster wrote:
    > Most sites have seen recommend you blow air out of the case, and if
    > possible have air intake in the front to create airflow through the
    > case. Blowing air out simply means that components don't overheat for
    > example powersupplies and vga coolers. I also know that if you open
    > the case and stick a fan beside it everything cools, the hd cools,
    > the motherboard cools even the powersupply cools. So has anyone tried
    > turning all the fans so they blow air into the case? hotter case?
    > cooler case? no difference?

    I wouldn't play with that idea. Hot air has to get out of the case somehow.
    I have one in the front blowing air in, and one in the back blowing air out.
    This is in addition to the CPU and P/S fans. I don't have a fan on my video
    card (besides, no real room for it in the mATX case I have right now) but
    the front fan is pushing air right directly toward the video card's heat
    sink.

    It's summer here and rarely if the CPU is at 100% usage, I'd get up maybe
    51 - 54 centigrade but normally it's in the low 40s with the system board
    temp in the upper 30s/low 40s. I have a 2GHz Intel P4 CPU installed. I think
    the better the airflow inside the case, the cooler things will run.

Homebuilt Cases Cooling Systems