pre mmx cyrix processor replacement

jules

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

What are the chances that I totally ruin my old pc if I remove its pre-mmx
cyrix processor from it's socket 7 and put there a, say 300 mhz mmx
compatible processor instead? Is there a chance the board even recognize it?

If you do kill the Mb a replacement one should be pretty cheap.

jules wrote:

> What are the chances that I totally ruin my old pc if I remove its pre-mmx
> cyrix processor from it's socket 7 and put there a, say 300 mhz mmx
> compatible processor instead? Is there a chance the board even recognize it?

You first have to find out what motherboard it is to get any answers on
what it can, or can't do.

anthony fidler wrote:
> If you do kill the Mb a replacement one should be pretty cheap.
>
> "jules" <jgoulot@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>What are the chances that I totally ruin my old pc if I remove its
>
> pre-mmx
>
>>cyrix processor from it's socket 7 and put there a, say 300 mhz mmx
>>compatible processor instead? Is there a chance the board even recognize
>
> it?

Yeah, like, it is a hassle to buy a new mainboard, and change it out,
and get it running, so, energy is better spent building newer
technology. Use the older systems as cross platform, thin clients for
kids games,
http://www.linuxworld.com/story/32827.htm

or as a firewall/router and/or web/print server!
http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1556

To change the cpu, you need to know if your board can support the
different core voltages, otherwise, the cpu and the board get smoked!

You need to write down the bios at boot up (use the 'pause' key)! Then,
go to one of the mainboard sites and find the maker...

jules wrote:
> What are the chances that I totally ruin my old pc if I remove its pre-mmx
> cyrix processor from it's socket 7 and put there a, say 300 mhz mmx
> compatible processor instead? Is there a chance the board even recognize it?

look up the board on the manufacturer's website and check...

jules

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

At the momment I don't have any specs for that board, I'm really only
concerned about the chances it would permanently kill the board...is it
possible?

jules wrote:
> At the momment I don't have any specs for that board, I'm really only
> concerned about the chances it would permanently kill the board...is it
> possible?

probably not.

> "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> a écrit dans le message de
>
>>jules wrote:
>>
>>>What are the chances that I totally ruin my old pc if I remove its
>
> pre-mmx
>
>>>cyrix processor from it's socket 7 and put there a, say 300 mhz mmx
>>>compatible processor instead? Is there a chance the board even recognize
>
> it?
>

>>look up the board on the manufacturer's website and check...
>>
>>--
>>spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo

jules

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

- Award Bios id string 08/14/97-VXPro+-USB-Ultr-2A5LDHO9C-00
- 4-72 pin SIMM slots (8-256meg FPM/EDO 60ns DRAM)
- 2-168pin DIMM slot (16Mx4, 8Mx8, 4Mx16 SDRAM pc66)
- 4-32bit PCI Bus slots
- 3-16bit ISA slots
- 512k Onboard Pipelined Burst synchronous L2 cache
- PS/2 Mouse Connector + USB connectors (optional)
- VXpro+ Pentium PCI chipset
- 321pin ZIF socket 7 which supports these processors:
INTEL Pentium 75~233MHz P54C, P55C MMX
CYRIX/IBM 6x86MX(M2), IDT C6,and AMD K5/K6 CPUs
- Supports 50/60/66/75 MHz external clock speeds
- Multi-I/O chip supports:
2 PCI Enhanced IDE Ports (Supports 4 Devices PIO 0-4)
2 High Speed Serial Ports (16550 UART Compatible)
1 Enhanced Parallel Port (SPP, EPP, ECP capable)
1 Floppy Drive Port (Supports 2 Floppy Drives)
- Manufactured by: 1437 Hsing Tech Enterprise Co., LTD.
- Sold as: Ability, Amptron, Aristo, Eurone/Matsonic, Houston Tech,
PCWare(Alton), Protac, PcChips, and Sybercom

I read somewhere (here actually http://www.zen26266.zen.co.uk/Skt7up3.htm )
the board could fry ...
I guess I will never know unless I try
The extra procwessor I've got is unidentyfied sinceit's got a heatsink glued
on top. lol.But looking at the size of it it kind of smells like a AMD K5/K6