Google Fiber Gigabit Internet and TV Officially Launched

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesto1000

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
I thought that it was going to be completely free, but still... $70 a month for a gigabit connection!? That is a steal! I'm currently paying $65 for 12mbps down and 6mbps up....

The free internet isn't so bad either considering that it's free for the most part, but I still wouldn't get it.

vilenjan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
3.6$ a month for 5 Mbps? I am paying Att DSL $30 for 3Mbps. Heck even at a steady 25$ month its a much better deal than what I have now... Come to California please?

busuan

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
I had wished Microsoft would have come up with this strategy first ... they had so much cash. Instead, Balmer decided to sit on it. And then, he wrongly believed that Apple (again) was his model to follow. I dare to say Microsoft would gain little in the battle against Apple, even if Windows8/Surface become a success and it would lose tremendously on its stronghold in OS/Office market. Combing with its online solutions and optical Gb network, finally Google will be able to render it mostly unnecessary to buying/upgrading Windows/Office in order to expanding business and increasing productivity.
"Microsoft make such mediocre products"? Probably not so ... but their leader's vision is seriously below average.

Zagen30

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
I pay $65 for 25/2 (Cox doesn't think anyone needs decent upload speeds). $70 for gigabit up/down is a steal. Of course, they're obviously offering such great deals to get their foot in the door, but if they could eventually offer it in many locations for roughly that price it would be fantastic.

G

This is a total game changer. I live about 5 miles north of the service area right now :( Hopefully it expands beyond downtown KC very quickly. I have a few friends who live downtown who are in coverage areas and they have to get enough people to preregister before they can set up a time to install. I pay $120 for cable right now with 15 mb/s down and 1 mb/s up. The two big X factors is whether they can get the missing channels. It looks like there is no Fox or ESPN right now, and they haven't said anything about HBO but the announcement did say they have premium pay channels. Also what kind of up time they will have. No word on business yet either, though they said it would be coming.

yzfr1guy

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
this is half the channel line up I get with Verizon FIOS and I get telephone as well for the same price, now of course my interwebz is only 25/25 but the hell needs gigabit when webservers and networks don't allow ultra fast speeds?! Wake up people, screw the g00gle machine!

krr711

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I would like the Google cable and would also like exiting the Comcast only option in Indianapolis, IN.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]yzfr1guy[/nom]this is half the channel line up I get with Verizon FIOS and I get telephone as well for the same price, now of course my interwebz is only 25/25 but the hell needs gigabit when webservers and networks don't allow ultra fast speeds?! Wake up people, screw the g00gle machine![/citation]
Yes, but who really wants to deal with a company who's idea of customer service....is ignoring the customer?

game junky

Distinguished
I appreciate Google's willingness to see this through. I think it initially was just their way of giving the larger ISP's the bird about cost vs performance. Now, it's an actual service option in a large metropolitan area. I will be interested to see if they try to invade some other big cities where there is clear competition like NYC or LA. In the interim, I will wait patiently for them to decide to move a little further south into Wichita. (If only)

Get 'em Goog. Kick Cox, Comcast, TW, AT&T & Verizon right in the wallet.

loops

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Cable is such an outdated model. We pay for the privilege to watch advertising on most channels. DVR has kept it alive a bit longer than it should. I'd rather have a streaming service, have the option to watch a season of a show in one sitting or when I want, and elect to watch ads to save money. I'd like to be able to just go straight to the channel site and view from there rather an get bundles of shows where most are just crap. Aside from getting more cable options, this seems like a fine deal.

thefiend1

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Just got off a live chat with the google fiber peeps. They said "we have no plans of expanding this outside of Kansas City." Wtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.