Cleaning up heatsink

So, I've order the new HSF for the AMD Slot A
processor. I've removed the old one, and there's
thermal paste on the processor and the heatsink.

Is it recommended to remove the old paste before
applying the new HSF?

How would I go about doing that, without making a
big mess?

Thanks!

--
AZC

> Is it recommended to remove the old paste before
> applying the new HSF?

Yes, you need to or the new HSF won't lay optimally.

> How would I go about doing that, without making a
> big mess?

A small rag and some rubbing alcohol should do. Use it sparingly, and with
small strokes, as to not spread the old paste somewhere it doesn't belong.
If you can get one, do a final clean up with a lint-free cloth.

"Andrew Z Carpenter" <azc@cirencester.ac.uk> wrote in message
> So, I've order the new HSF for the AMD Slot A
> processor. I've removed the old one, and there's
> thermal paste on the processor and the heatsink.
>
> Is it recommended to remove the old paste before
> applying the new HSF?

GooGone (available at supermarkets) or cigarette lighter
fluid, then 91% isopropyl alcohol (available at pharmacies),
then, optionally, trichlorotrifluroethane (VCR head cleaner)
(I don't think it's available any more, but if you already have
some...).

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

You MUST remove the old paste to get good heat conduction. Use Isopropyl
alcohol 99% which is available at drugstores.

--
DaveW

"Andrew Z Carpenter" <azc@cirencester.ac.uk> wrote in message
> So, I've order the new HSF for the AMD Slot A
> processor. I've removed the old one, and there's
> thermal paste on the processor and the heatsink.
>
> Is it recommended to remove the old paste before
> applying the new HSF?
>
> How would I go about doing that, without making a
> big mess?
>
> Thanks!
>

> --
> AZC

Does anyone know if 'White Spirits' will be appropriate?

It's the stuff you can use to wash paintbrushes.

--
AZC

HarrY

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 09:23:43 +0100, "Andrew Z Carpenter"
<azc@cirencester.ac.uk> wrote:

>Does anyone know if 'White Spirits' will be appropriate?
>
>It's the stuff you can use to wash paintbrushes.
No, I am sure it contains oils and other chemicals that leave a
residue. Best off using Iso Alcohol

Harry

> "Harry" <A@A.A> wrote in message
>
> No, I am sure it contains oils and other chemicals that
> leave a residue. Best off using Iso Alcohol
>
> Harry

OK, thanks!

--
AZC