Odd networking 'problem'

I know this isn't exactly the right forum but it's likely something
someone here has encountered before...

There must be an answer out there but I can't seem to think about what
terms to use when using search engines.

So... I'm using Windows ME, and when you go to the Control Panel and go
into Network, you see the list of network components that are installed.
If all is normal, you will see 'client for microsoft networks', an
ethernet card and below them, depending on the protocols you have
installed, you will see IPX/SPX-compatible Protocol -> Realtek ...
and the same thing for NetBeui and TCP/IP.

BUT, I've seen this a few times before and the only way I've managed to
get around it is to 'reinstall' the OS on top of itself, but you can't do
that in ME if you have upgraded Internet Explorer beyond version 5.5.
Normally upgrading from 98SE to ME would fix it but that's not an option.

I've tried deleting all network clients, adapters and protocols and then
reinstalling them but that hasn't worked either.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I'm sure this has
been discussed but I just can't figure out what the best search words
would be to find the solution.

Thanks,
Mike

"Michael Mason" <an956@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message
> I know this isn't exactly the right forum but it's likely something
> someone here has encountered before...
>
> There must be an answer out there but I can't seem to think about what
> terms to use when using search engines.
>
> So... I'm using Windows ME, and when you go to the Control Panel and go
> into Network, you see the list of network components that are installed.
> If all is normal, you will see 'client for microsoft networks', an
> ethernet card and below them, depending on the protocols you have
> installed, you will see IPX/SPX-compatible Protocol -> Realtek ...
> and the same thing for NetBeui and TCP/IP.
>
> BUT, I've seen this a few times before and the only way I've managed to
> get around it is to 'reinstall' the OS on top of itself, but you can't do
> that in ME if you have upgraded Internet Explorer beyond version 5.5.
> Normally upgrading from 98SE to ME would fix it but that's not an option.
>
> I've tried deleting all network clients, adapters and protocols and then
> reinstalling them but that hasn't worked either.
>
> Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I'm sure this has
> been discussed but I just can't figure out what the best search words
> would be to find the solution.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

OK, so what's the problem? Don't mean to sound smart, but it's not clear
what you are asking here. :) -Dave

shawk

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> "Michael Mason" <an956@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message
> > I know this isn't exactly the right forum but it's likely something
> > someone here has encountered before...
> >
> > There must be an answer out there but I can't seem to think about what
> > terms to use when using search engines.
> >
> > So... I'm using Windows ME, and when you go to the Control Panel and go
> > into Network, you see the list of network components that are installed.
> > If all is normal, you will see 'client for microsoft networks', an
> > ethernet card and below them, depending on the protocols you have
> > installed, you will see IPX/SPX-compatible Protocol -> Realtek ...
> > and the same thing for NetBeui and TCP/IP.
> >
> > BUT, I've seen this a few times before and the only way I've managed to
> > get around it is to 'reinstall' the OS on top of itself, but you can't
do
> > that in ME if you have upgraded Internet Explorer beyond version 5.5.
> > Normally upgrading from 98SE to ME would fix it but that's not an
option.

> > I've tried deleting all network clients, adapters and protocols and then
> > reinstalling them but that hasn't worked either.
> >
> > Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I'm sure this has
> > been discussed but I just can't figure out what the best search words
> > would be to find the solution.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mike
>
> OK, so what's the problem? Don't mean to sound smart, but it's not clear
> what you are asking here. :) -Dave

Read your post through Dave - what have you seen a few times before? What's
the issue?

shawk

> "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Michael Mason" <an956@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message
> > > I know this isn't exactly the right forum but it's likely something
> > > someone here has encountered before...
> > >
> > > There must be an answer out there but I can't seem to think about what
> > > terms to use when using search engines.
> > >
> > > So... I'm using Windows ME, and when you go to the Control Panel and
go
> > > into Network, you see the list of network components that are
installed.
> > > If all is normal, you will see 'client for microsoft networks', an
> > > ethernet card and below them, depending on the protocols you have
> > > installed, you will see IPX/SPX-compatible Protocol -> Realtek ...
> > > and the same thing for NetBeui and TCP/IP.
> > >
> > > BUT, I've seen this a few times before and the only way I've managed
> > > get around it is to 'reinstall' the OS on top of itself, but you can't
> do
> > > that in ME if you have upgraded Internet Explorer beyond version 5.5.
> > > Normally upgrading from 98SE to ME would fix it but that's not an
> option.
> > >
> > > I've tried deleting all network clients, adapters and protocols and
then
> > > reinstalling them but that hasn't worked either.
> > >
> > > Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I'm sure this has
> > > been discussed but I just can't figure out what the best search words
> > > would be to find the solution.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Mike
> >
> > OK, so what's the problem? Don't mean to sound smart, but it's not
clear
> > what you are asking here. :) -Dave
> >

> Read your post through Dave - what have you seen a few times before?
What's
> the issue?

Whoops - sorry Dave. Skimmed the post, got the wrong OP and asked the same
question as you! Fitting end to a ah heck of a day! :)