Weird bootup error

When I've rebooted my spare computer I've sometimes gotten the
following error right after the POST activities:

"Trap 00000001
Debug trap
cs:eip0008:00404465
ss:esp=0010:00060Ec4
flags=000000086
NoCy NoZr IntDis Down Trap Dis
eax=000000A5 ebx=00000C00
edx=00000000 ecx=00000000
ds=0010 es=0010
edi=00070000 epb=00061FF0
esi=0000009F fs=0036
cr0=00000011 gs=0000000"

After making sure everything was seated properly, I figured that
possibly memory might have something to do with it, because it
happened so early in the boot. I've tried taking DIMMs out and
re-starting. Eventually I was able to start Windows, but I don't trust
it.

I'm getting paranoid about this machine, since my main computer is
out for repair. Was I correct to suspect memory? Could it actually be
something else, like a bad motherboard, power supply or corrupted boot
record?

Computer is an old ePox 8KTA3+ with an AMD Athlon 1400 CPU. I have 3
256meg DIMMs (only 2 currently installed) and an ATI 7500 video card.

Sam
--
To mail me please get rid of the BS first
7 answers Last reply

    Sam,
    It sounds like the memory to me. Looks like you fixed it. Use an eraser
    and clean the contacts of the 3rd dimm. Sometimes that's all you have to do
    to be rolling again.
    Alby

    Sometime on, or about Sat, 17 Jul 2004 13:46:41 -0400, -Alby Hewlet
    scribbled:

    > Sam,
    > It sounds like the memory to me. Looks like you fixed it. Use an eraser
    > and clean the contacts of the 3rd dimm. Sometimes that's all you have to do
    > to be rolling again.
    > Alby

    Ah! The old eraser trick. I'll try it.

    I was also thinking that it could be the power supply. It's pretty
    undersized (250watts). Besides taking out one of the DIMMs, I also
    took out a slave harddrive. That would have reduced the load on the
    PSU.

    I just wish I understood would the error message was trying to tell
    me, so I could identify the problem directly, instead of just
    guessing.

    Sam
    --
    To mail me please get rid of the BS first

    >Sometime on, or about Sat, 17 Jul 2004 13:46:41 -0400, -Alby Hewlet
    >scribbled:
    >
    >> Sam,
    >> It sounds like the memory to me. Looks like you fixed it. Use an eraser
    >> and clean the contacts of the 3rd dimm. Sometimes that's all you have to do
    >> to be rolling again.
    >> Alby
    >
    >Ah! The old eraser trick. I'll try it.
    >
    >I was also thinking that it could be the power supply. It's pretty
    >undersized (250watts). Besides taking out one of the DIMMs, I also
    >took out a slave harddrive. That would have reduced the load on the
    >PSU.
    >
    >I just wish I understood would the error message was trying to tell
    >me, so I could identify the problem directly, instead of just
    >guessing.
    >
    >Sam

    You must be careful getting advice from a hosed PC. In almost every
    case the error message is wrong.

    Sometime on, or about Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:48:57 -0400, AndrewJ
    scribbled:

    >>Sometime on, or about Sat, 17 Jul 2004 13:46:41 -0400, -Alby Hewlet
    >>scribbled:
    >>
    >>> Sam,
    >>> It sounds like the memory to me. Looks like you fixed it. Use an eraser
    >>> and clean the contacts of the 3rd dimm. Sometimes that's all you have to do
    >>> to be rolling again.
    >>> Alby
    >>
    >>Ah! The old eraser trick. I'll try it.
    >>
    >>I was also thinking that it could be the power supply. It's pretty
    >>undersized (250watts). Besides taking out one of the DIMMs, I also
    >>took out a slave harddrive. That would have reduced the load on the
    >>PSU.
    >>
    >>I just wish I understood would the error message was trying to tell
    >>me, so I could identify the problem directly, instead of just
    >>guessing.
    >>
    >>Sam
    >
    > You must be careful getting advice from a hosed PC. In almost every
    > case the error message is wrong.

    Yeah, I know... the error often relates to something else that the
    real problem triggered. I'm just trying to decide if the motherboard
    is at fault or not. This board has been known to have problems due to
    a bad batch of capacitors that were used on some of them. I'm just
    concerned that they may be fluctuating and causing the occasional
    errors. I've heard reports that they've actually exploded on some
    Mb's... but, I'm not sure if that's an urban myth or not.

    Sam
    --

    Sam wrote:
    > Sometime on, or about Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:48:57 -0400, AndrewJ
    > scribbled:
    >

    >>>Sometime on, or about Sat, 17 Jul 2004 13:46:41 -0400, -Alby Hewlet
    >>>scribbled:

    >>>Ah! The old eraser trick. I'll try it.
    >>>
    >>>I was also thinking that it could be the power supply. It's pretty
    >>>undersized (250watts). Besides taking out one of the DIMMs, I also
    >>>took out a slave harddrive. That would have reduced the load on the
    >>>PSU.
    >>>
    >>>I just wish I understood would the error message was trying to tell
    >>>me, so I could identify the problem directly, instead of just
    >>>guessing.
    >>>
    >>>Sam
    >>
    >>You must be careful getting advice from a hosed PC. In almost every
    >>case the error message is wrong.
    >

    > Yeah, I know... the error often relates to something else that the
    > real problem triggered. I'm just trying to decide if the motherboard
    > is at fault or not. This board has been known to have problems due to
    > a bad batch of capacitors that were used on some of them. I'm just
    > concerned that they may be fluctuating and causing the occasional
    > errors. I've heard reports that they've actually exploded on some
    > Mb's... but, I'm not sure if that's an urban myth or not.
    >
    > Sam

    The 'bad capacitor' problem can happen to a lot of motherboards and is not
    limited to a particular 'brand'.

    Look for 'bulged' tops on the large electrolytic capacitors (look like a
    vertically mounted 'tube') around the CPU and memory area.

    The tops are normally FLAT and, while the bulge isn't 'huge', it's quite
    apparent when compared to a normal one (and there's always some 'normal'
    ones left even with a massive problem).

    Sometime on, or about Sat, 17 Jul 2004 20:56:31 -0500, David Maynard
    scribbled:

    > Sam wrote:
    >> Sometime on, or about Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:48:57 -0400, AndrewJ
    >> scribbled:

    >>>You must be careful getting advice from a hosed PC. In almost every
    >>>case the error message is wrong.
    >>
    >> Yeah, I know... the error often relates to something else that the
    >> real problem triggered. I'm just trying to decide if the motherboard
    >> is at fault or not. This board has been known to have problems due to
    >> a bad batch of capacitors that were used on some of them. I'm just
    >> concerned that they may be fluctuating and causing the occasional
    >> errors. I've heard reports that they've actually exploded on some
    >> Mb's... but, I'm not sure if that's an urban myth or not.
    >>
    >> Sam
    >
    > The 'bad capacitor' problem can happen to a lot of motherboards and is not
    > limited to a particular 'brand'.
    >
    > Look for 'bulged' tops on the large electrolytic capacitors (look like a
    > vertically mounted 'tube') around the CPU and memory area.
    >
    > The tops are normally FLAT and, while the bulge isn't 'huge', it's quite
    > apparent when compared to a normal one (and there's always some 'normal'
    > ones left even with a massive problem).

    I've just looked at all the capacitors on the board, and I could see
    nothing that was really out of place. No obvious bulges, leakage, etc.

    Sam
    --

    Sam wrote:

    > Sometime on, or about Sat, 17 Jul 2004 20:56:31 -0500, David Maynard
    > scribbled:
    >

    >>Sam wrote:
    >>
    >>>Sometime on, or about Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:48:57 -0400, AndrewJ
    >>>scribbled:

    >>>Yeah, I know... the error often relates to something else that the
    >>>real problem triggered. I'm just trying to decide if the motherboard
    >>>is at fault or not. This board has been known to have problems due to
    >>>a bad batch of capacitors that were used on some of them. I'm just
    >>>concerned that they may be fluctuating and causing the occasional
    >>>errors. I've heard reports that they've actually exploded on some
    >>>Mb's... but, I'm not sure if that's an urban myth or not.
    >>>
    >>>Sam
    >>
    >>The 'bad capacitor' problem can happen to a lot of motherboards and is not
    >>limited to a particular 'brand'.
    >>
    >>Look for 'bulged' tops on the large electrolytic capacitors (look like a
    >>vertically mounted 'tube') around the CPU and memory area.
    >>
    >>The tops are normally FLAT and, while the bulge isn't 'huge', it's quite
    >>apparent when compared to a normal one (and there's always some 'normal'
    >>ones left even with a massive problem).
    >

    > I've just looked at all the capacitors on the board, and I could see
    > nothing that was really out of place. No obvious bulges, leakage, etc.
    >
    > Sam

    Good. That should eliminate one potential source of the problem, then.

Homebuilt Computer Systems