Recommendations for components - UK home-build

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
July 17, 2004 8:19:35 PM

Hi
Hi,
I need to build a second PC and would much appreciate recommendations
for:

1) motherboard,
2) hard drive,
3) CPU and
4) RAM
5) a *quiet* power supply unit

(I have the other components already.

Budget is tight - hence the home-build. £200 to £300 max is my limit
including VAT.

I need the computer for:
a) Multi-track audio recording (hence the need for a quiet psu)
b) Business applications such as MS office 95
c) I don't need it for games, but do play videos.

I need around 80Gb hard drive
and 512 Mb RAM

If you could state briefly, *why* you recommend any specific
components, I'd be greatful.

I'm looking for reliability, freedom from fuss and performance.
Something easy to configure.

I'm in the UK so a good-value source for the components would be much
appreciated.

One more thing: I currently have Windows98 SE. Is there any real point
in paying out for a more recent OS?

Thank you,

Ally
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 17, 2004 10:22:40 PM

> "Ally" <Ally888@nospamxxxxx.com> wrote in message
>
> I'm in the UK so a good-value source for the
> components would be much appreciated.
>
> One more thing: I currently have Windows98 SE.
> Is there any real point in paying out for a
> more recent OS?

Firstly, check this chart:
http://www.romulus2.com/feedback/chart.php?1

With a new PC, with lots of RAM, a nice big hard
drive, and broadband internet then yes. If you
buy XP at the same time and from the same supplier
as your hard drive or other parts, you can
purchase the OEM version for a reduced price.

Just don't forget to enable the firewall, get
some antivirus software, and keep up to date with
windowsupdates.

--
AZC
Anonymous

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 18:22:40 +0100, "Andrew Z Carpenter"
<azc@cirencester.ac.uk> wrote:

>>> "Ally" <Ally888@nospamxxxxx.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I'm in the UK so a good-value source for the
>>> components would be much appreciated.
>>>
>>> One more thing: I currently have Windows98 SE.
>>> Is there any real point in paying out for a
>>> more recent OS?
>>

>>Firstly, check this chart:
>>http://www.romulus2.com/feedback/chart.php?1

Andrew, Thanks for that URL. It's good for checking out supplier
ratings - and through it, I found a nice source of low-noise PSU's,

Ally
a b B Homebuilt system
July 18, 2004 12:42:44 AM

PS

I'm looking at:

Asus A7N8X-X
Crucial PC3200 DIMM 512mb
AMD Athlon XP2500
Western Digital 120gb Caviar SE IDE

Does that look like a good combination?

Ally
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 18, 2004 1:24:51 PM

Don't like the WD drive.

I have a number of drives and for me the WD ones went down first. I like the
seagate barracudas, almost silent as well.

As for a CPU heatsink, take a look at the zalman flower. You may be able to
get away without the need for a fan, therefore quieter.

the_gnome

> PS
>
> I'm looking at:
>
> Asus A7N8X-X
> Crucial PC3200 DIMM 512mb
> AMD Athlon XP2500
> Western Digital 120gb Caviar SE IDE
>
> Does that look like a good combination?
>
> Ally
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 18, 2004 1:37:12 PM

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 09:24:51 +0100, "the gnome"
<news-replies@at.copperstream.co.uk> wrote:

>>Don't like the WD drive.
>>
>>I have a number of drives and for me the WD ones went down first. I like the
>>seagate barracudas, almost silent as well.
>>
>>As for a CPU heatsink, take a look at the zalman flower. You may be able to
>>get away without the need for a fan, therefore quieter.
>>
>>the_gnome

Hi there,
Many thanks for these suggestions. Yes, a quiet hard disc is important
to me, so I appreciated you comment. Thanks also for the cpu cooling
suggestion. I suppose cpu cooling fans do tyoically make some noise.

Ally
!