help setting up home wi fi network

Hi all

I have been reading through some of the topics on here and think im getting
my head around it.

I know nothing at all about wifi networking and hope someone can help me out
here

All I need is wifi one a pc that is upstairs and the laptop. At this moment
in time I am on ADSL with a USRobtocis ADSL Router Modem that is connected
to the main pc by cat 5 and then a run of cat 5 upto the 2nd pc upstairs

I have also just got a laptop that I want to be able to use while working
outside and have the pc upstairs on wifi as the cat 5 cable is in the way
at present.

Can anyone tell me what I need to purchase to add wifi to the current setup
or if there is a decent ADSL Router / Modem that can do wifi and what models
etc people would recomend.

Were getting wifi put into work in the next 6 months so the laptop is the
main one to do first followed by the base pc thought I guess for the laptop
that just a PCMCIA card will do the job. I need to be able to share files
over the network both at home and at work and at work have the need to be
able to print to mulitple printers 1 Epson and a A3 printer

Thanks guys I really am I newbie when it comes to this

Paul
2 answers Last reply
More about help setting home network

    Hi

    To add Wireless to an existing Network you need to buy an Access Point and
    plug it to an available RJ-45 port on a switch/hub or Cable/DSL Router.

    Equipped each computer that you want to make Wireless with a Wireless Client
    card, configure and enjoy.

    You can read the pages in the following link for further information and
    actual instructions: http://www.ezlan.net#wireless and
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq#wireless

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Paul Henry" <apav54@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > I have been reading through some of the topics on here and think im
    getting
    > my head around it.
    >
    > I know nothing at all about wifi networking and hope someone can help me
    out
    > here
    >
    > All I need is wifi one a pc that is upstairs and the laptop. At this
    moment
    > in time I am on ADSL with a USRobtocis ADSL Router Modem that is connected
    > to the main pc by cat 5 and then a run of cat 5 upto the 2nd pc upstairs
    >
    > I have also just got a laptop that I want to be able to use while working
    > outside and have the pc upstairs on wifi as the cat 5 cable is in the way
    > at present.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what I need to purchase to add wifi to the current
    setup
    > or if there is a decent ADSL Router / Modem that can do wifi and what
    models
    > etc people would recomend.
    >
    > Were getting wifi put into work in the next 6 months so the laptop is the
    > main one to do first followed by the base pc thought I guess for the
    laptop
    > that just a PCMCIA card will do the job. I need to be able to share files
    > over the network both at home and at work and at work have the need to be
    > able to print to mulitple printers 1 Epson and a A3 printer
    >
    > Thanks guys I really am I newbie when it comes to this
    >
    > Paul

    Hi Jack

    Is that all I need at home to add wifi just an access point I have a spare
    RJ45 con at the back so looks like a plan

    any recomendations on a access point or any to avoid and anyone got any
    recomendations on a PCMCIA card

    Thanks

    Paul
    "Jack" <jack@msnews.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > To add Wireless to an existing Network you need to buy an Access Point and
    > plug it to an available RJ-45 port on a switch/hub or Cable/DSL Router.
    >
    > Equipped each computer that you want to make Wireless with a Wireless
    Client
    > card, configure and enjoy.
    >
    > You can read the pages in the following link for further information and
    > actual instructions: http://www.ezlan.net#wireless and
    > http://www.ezlan.net/faq#wireless
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "Paul Henry" <apav54@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi all
    > >
    > > I have been reading through some of the topics on here and think im
    > getting
    > > my head around it.
    > >
    > > I know nothing at all about wifi networking and hope someone can help me
    > out
    > > here
    > >
    > > All I need is wifi one a pc that is upstairs and the laptop. At this
    > moment
    > > in time I am on ADSL with a USRobtocis ADSL Router Modem that is
    connected
    > > to the main pc by cat 5 and then a run of cat 5 upto the 2nd pc upstairs
    > >
    > > I have also just got a laptop that I want to be able to use while
    working
    > > outside and have the pc upstairs on wifi as the cat 5 cable is in the
    way
    > > at present.
    > >
    > > Can anyone tell me what I need to purchase to add wifi to the current
    > setup
    > > or if there is a decent ADSL Router / Modem that can do wifi and what
    > models
    > > etc people would recomend.
    > >
    > > Were getting wifi put into work in the next 6 months so the laptop is
    the
    > > main one to do first followed by the base pc thought I guess for the
    > laptop
    > > that just a PCMCIA card will do the job. I need to be able to share
    files
    > > over the network both at home and at work and at work have the need to
    be
    > > able to print to mulitple printers 1 Epson and a A3 printer
    > >
    > > Thanks guys I really am I newbie when it comes to this
    > >
    > > Paul

WiFi and Home Networking Wireless Networking