Recommend a new hard drive

I'm getting a message that my drive is operating outside normal parameters
and that I should back up my data and replace the drive. It is a 2 year
old DiamondMax Plus 40GB.

I would ideally like to copy or ghost the current drive over to a new
drive... do I need to buy the exact same HD to do that?

Norton Ghost is cheap enough at $10 and it looks like it will work on
drives of different sizes. Any alternatives I should consider?

I have owned Quantum, Maxtor, Western Digital and few others, none have
ever failed on me until now. My current 40GB drive is only 2/3 full and
that just installed programs and games, very little else will ever be
installed so I don't need much more space. Any recommendations on current
drives? I don't want to spend over $100. Performance is important but I
don't want a turbine engine either ;)

--
Mac Cool
18 answers Last reply

    http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=AA17640

    Mac Cool wrote:

    > I'm getting a message that my drive is operating outside normal parameters
    > and that I should back up my data and replace the drive. It is a 2 year
    > old DiamondMax Plus 40GB.
    >
    > I would ideally like to copy or ghost the current drive over to a new
    > drive... do I need to buy the exact same HD to do that?

    No.

    > Norton Ghost is cheap enough at $10 and it looks like it will work on
    > drives of different sizes. Any alternatives I should consider?

    As long as the new drive is larger than the old partition there is no
    problem and, under the right circumstances, it can resize to a smaller
    drive as well but since any new drive will, undoubtedly, be larger than
    your current one it's a moot issue.

    "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> said:

    > http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=AA17640

    Why are you recommending it, speed, noise, reliability?
    --
    Mac Cool

    > "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> said:
    >
    > > http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=AA17640
    >
    > Why are you recommending it, speed, noise, reliability?
    > --
    > Mac Cool

    It's double the size of what the OP needs, is a good reliable brand, has an
    *8MB* buffer, and is really cheap, as far as hard drives go. -Dave

    Mac,
    i have had excellent results with wd,seagate and maxtor . no need to
    buy ghost they all offer utilities to partition and format your new
    drive and copy the contents of the existing drive to the new .
    hope this helps,
    terry

    ==============

    > buy ghost they all offer utilities to partition and format your new
    > drive and copy the contents of the existing drive to the new .

    Terry,

    Are talking about the whole enchilada, or data files? I mean, can you clone
    you're old drive, including XP, to the new one using the utilities that come
    with a new drive?

    alby

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 03:13:16 GMT, Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote:

    >I'm getting a message that my drive is operating outside normal parameters
    >and that I should back up my data and replace the drive. It is a 2 year
    >old DiamondMax Plus 40GB.
    >
    >I would ideally like to copy or ghost the current drive over to a new
    >drive... do I need to buy the exact same HD to do that?
    >
    >Norton Ghost is cheap enough at $10 and it looks like it will work on
    >drives of different sizes. Any alternatives I should consider?
    >
    >I have owned Quantum, Maxtor, Western Digital and few others, none have
    >ever failed on me until now. My current 40GB drive is only 2/3 full and
    >that just installed programs and games, very little else will ever be
    >installed so I don't need much more space. Any recommendations on current
    >drives? I don't want to spend over $100. Performance is important but I
    >don't want a turbine engine either ;)

    When I bought my new drive (a Maxtor) it came with a utility to copy
    from the old drive to the new drive. But, you'll probably be better
    off installing everything again. I hear all the rage about Norton
    Ghost but I found it to be PITA. Look into XCOPY.

    "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
    > I'm getting a message that my drive is operating outside normal parameters
    > and that I should back up my data and replace the drive. It is a 2 year
    > old DiamondMax Plus 40GB.
    >
    > I would ideally like to copy or ghost the current drive over to a new
    > drive... do I need to buy the exact same HD to do that?
    >
    > Norton Ghost is cheap enough at $10 and it looks like it will work on
    > drives of different sizes. Any alternatives I should consider?
    >
    > I have owned Quantum, Maxtor, Western Digital and few others, none have
    > ever failed on me until now. My current 40GB drive is only 2/3 full and
    > that just installed programs and games, very little else will ever be
    > installed so I don't need much more space. Any recommendations on current
    > drives? I don't want to spend over $100. Performance is important but I
    > don't want a turbine engine either ;)
    >
    > --
    > Mac Cool

    I have 2 maxtor diamondmax 9's with 8Mb buffers. One of which is in my
    server which is on 24 hours a day. Its the quietest component in there
    (after the passive heatsinks).

    I too had one of the early 40Gb Maxtor disks, and its the only one to have
    failed on me, with the same errors as yours. A month or so after it siezed
    completly with a mechanical failiure.

    hamman

    "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
    > I'm getting a message that my drive is operating outside normal parameters
    > and that I should back up my data and replace the drive. It is a 2 year
    > old DiamondMax Plus 40GB.
    >
    > I would ideally like to copy or ghost the current drive over to a new
    > drive... do I need to buy the exact same HD to do that?
    >
    > Norton Ghost is cheap enough at $10 and it looks like it will work on
    > drives of different sizes. Any alternatives I should consider?

    The drive makers usually have a free program that will copy the information
    on one drive to another. I know Maxtor does. Think it is called Maxiblast.
    You can download it from their web site. It will make a bootable floppy and
    you boot off it and follow the menue and directions depending on what you
    want to do.
    You do not need the exect drive to use it.

    "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> said:

    >> > http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=AA17640
    >>
    >> Why are you recommending it, speed, noise, reliability?

    > It's double the size of what the OP needs, is a good reliable brand,
    > has an *8MB* buffer, and is really cheap, as far as hard drives go.

    I am the OP. I'm not questioning your judgement, I was just wondering what
    you liked about that drive. It looks pretty good to me also.
    --
    Mac Cool

    Phisherman <nobody@noone.com> said:

    > I hear all the rage about Norton Ghost but I found it to be PITA.

    I've read many positive comments about Ghost as well but most of the
    negative comments came from people using it as a backup utility.
    --
    Mac Cool

    > Phisherman <nobody@noone.com> said:
    >
    > > I hear all the rage about Norton Ghost but I found it to be PITA.
    >
    > I've read many positive comments about Ghost as well but most of the
    > negative comments came from people using it as a backup utility.
    > --
    > Mac Cool

    Hi:
    I am constantly puzzled by the continuous negative comments (and frequent
    misinformation!) I come across on the various newsgroups that deprecate
    Symantec's Norton Ghost program. My experience with that program has been,
    and continues to be, completely counter to the negative views expressed by
    so many posters. I have often remarked that I wish every software program I
    use was as simple, straightforward, and effective to use as the Norton Ghost
    program. Let me state at the outset that I use Ghost for one and only one
    purpose - to clone the contents of one hard drive to another. By making a
    bit-for-bit copy (not technically precise perhaps, but correct for all
    practical purposes) of one's working hard drive, you have, what seems to me,
    the ultimate backup system. I have used various versions of Ghost over the
    years, including the present 2003 version. During that time I estimate I've
    cloned various hard drives about a thousand times. And done so with
    virtually
    zero problems that I could attribute to the software.
    Ghost's portability through use of a floppy disk, and ease of use
    together with reasonable speed, make it a joy to use.

    No doubt you'll receive a variety of responses to a query asking "what's the
    best backup program?", each one touting this or that imaging program. And
    the likelihood is you won't go wrong with any of the more popular ones.
    For myself I prefer Symantec's Norton Ghost program for the reasons noted
    above.

    Incidentally, for a one-shot deal cloning the contents of an old hard drive
    to a new
    one, you can use the manufacturer's utility to perform this operation as one
    poster
    pointed out. All the major hard drive manufacturers package this type of
    utility
    with their retail (boxed) hard drives. The only negative to them is that
    (based upon
    my experience) they're glacially slow. The other day I had occasion to use
    Maxtor's
    utility (MaxBlast) to clone a drive of 8 GB. It took 1 1/2 hours on a P4 2.8
    GHz
    machine with a modern HDs. It would have taken me about 10 minutes using
    Ghost.

    Art

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:57:37 GMT, Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote:

    | >> Why are you recommending it, speed, noise, reliability?
    |
    | > It's double the size of what the OP needs, is a good reliable brand,
    | > has an *8MB* buffer, and is really cheap, as far as hard drives go.
    |
    | I am the OP. I'm not questioning your judgement, I was just wondering what
    | you liked about that drive. It looks pretty good to me also.

    Newegg has it for the same price (plus $3 shipping). They also have
    the SATA version for $74.75, shipping free.

    I've been using one of the regular WD 80G SE drives almost since it
    first came out. It's quiet, fast and has never failed to deliver.

    The three-year warranty is nice, too!

    Larc

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 07:09:53 -0400, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

    >>"Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message

    >>> Why are you recommending it, speed, noise, reliability?
    >>> --
    >>> Mac Cool
    >>
    >>It's double the size of what the OP needs, is a good reliable brand, has an
    >>*8MB* buffer, and is really cheap, as far as hard drives go. -Dave

    Dave,
    PMFJI, but I'm also in the process of choosing a gard drive. How much
    does an 8MB buffer improve performance in general terms? I've seen
    these drives costing more than 50% more than the version without the
    8mb buffer.

    Ally
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > Dave,
    > PMFJI, but I'm also in the process of choosing a gard drive. How much
    > does an 8MB buffer improve performance in general terms? I've seen
    > these drives costing more than 50% more than the version without the
    > 8mb buffer.
    >
    > Ally

    Generally, it will speed up disk performance slightly. Overall, you
    probably won't notice much of a difference. But as it's selling at a lower
    price than a lot of 2MB cache drives with the same storage capacity, it's a
    heckuva bargain, so buy it anyway. :) -Dave
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    In article <Xns9529EC381E8C7MacCool@24.25.9.43>, Mac@2cool.com says...
    > I'm getting a message that my drive is operating outside normal parameters
    > and that I should back up my data and replace the drive. It is a 2 year
    > old DiamondMax Plus 40GB.
    >
    > I would ideally like to copy or ghost the current drive over to a new
    > drive... do I need to buy the exact same HD to do that?

    One thing you didn't mention is the current o/s that you are using. If
    you are using XP there may be other issues to do with product activation
    that may give you one or two other problems when replacing a drive.
    --
    Pete Ives
    Remove ALL_STRESS before sending me an email

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 03:13:16 GMT, Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote:

    >I'm getting a message that my drive is operating outside normal parameters
    >and that I should back up my data and replace the drive. It is a 2 year
    >old DiamondMax Plus 40GB.
    >
    >I would ideally like to copy or ghost the current drive over to a new
    >drive... do I need to buy the exact same HD to do that?
    >
    >Norton Ghost is cheap enough at $10 and it looks like it will work on
    >drives of different sizes. Any alternatives I should consider?
    >
    >I have owned Quantum, Maxtor, Western Digital and few others, none have
    >ever failed on me until now. My current 40GB drive is only 2/3 full and
    >that just installed programs and games, very little else will ever be
    >installed so I don't need much more space. Any recommendations on current
    >drives? I don't want to spend over $100. Performance is important but I
    >don't want a turbine engine either ;)

    Nowadays all the brands are good; I wouldn't worry too much about this. Any
    drive can fail before its time, so maybe the warranty is the most important
    factor all other things equal.

    As for the cloning, get a free trial of BootitNG. With new drive as slave,
    boot the BootitNG floppy, cancel install, go into maintenance/partition
    work . . . . Then in View MBR, highlight your new C: partion and click Set
    Active and Write Standard MBR. Then swap the disks, disconnect the old one
    so that you boot up w/ only the new disk and you should be fine, avoiding
    having the wrong drive letter (PITA).

    Afterwards you can also use BootitNG to resize the clusters before
    converting to NTFS if you want to.

    W/ Ghost, use the option flags -FDSP.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    J. S. Pack <me@privacy.net> said:

    > maybe the warranty is the most important
    > factor all other things equal.

    The warranty became the deciding factor. I was deciding between a Western
    Digital and Maxtor. The Maxtor was a smidgeon faster but had a one year
    warranty; the WD had a 3 year warranty. To me, it translates that WD has
    more faith in their drives than Maxtor does. If my drive that is failing
    was a Western Digital, it would still be under warranty.
    --
    Mac Cool

Homebuilt Hard Drives Systems