flat screen advice!

Hi
I want to buy Flat screen monitor (15-17 inch)and I would like to hear
any adivce about that!! is it good idea or not compare with tub
monitor, what is good brad name I should consider.. etc. I live in
Toronto, Ontario...
thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about flat screen advice

    esara wrote:

    > Hi
    > I want to buy Flat screen monitor (15-17 inch)and I would like to hear
    > any adivce about that!! is it good idea or not compare with tub
    > monitor, what is good brad name I should consider.. etc. I live in
    > Toronto, Ontario...
    > thanks
    There's a difference between a flat screen and a flat panel. They way
    that you describe it, it sounds as if you want a flat panel. Make sure
    that if you order one you ask for the right type.

    Personally I have a Samsung at home and in my office and think both are
    excellent.

    dick

    "esara" <esara123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I want to buy Flat screen monitor (15-17 inch)and I would like to hear
    > any adivce about that!! is it good idea or not compare with tub
    > monitor, what is good brad name I should consider.. etc. I live in
    > Toronto, Ontario...
    > thanks

    Well, I see your first reply was really helpful. (!) Not too long ago, it
    was better to stick with a CRT monitor for gaming. Now the only reason to
    buy a CRT monitor is that it's cheaper. Check out the NEC 1760 17" LCD,
    which should be readily available in whatever retail stores you have up
    there in Canada. 16ms response time, kick-butt gaming monitor (according to
    my teenage nephew who LIVES for gaming), and the best image quality for
    Internet and office application use, PERIOD. Only be aware that the NEC LCD
    monitors comes from the factory with brightness and contrast turned WAY UP,
    which is almost painful to look at because it is so bright. Set both around
    50 (halfway) and it looks fantastic. -Dave

    esara123@hotmail.com (esara) wrote in

    > Hi
    > I want to buy Flat screen monitor (15-17 inch)and I would like to hear
    > any adivce about that!! is it good idea or not compare with tub
    > monitor, what is good brad name I should consider.. etc. I live in
    > Toronto, Ontario...
    > thanks

    I'm guessing you're talking about a flat panel monitor. I would suggest
    one with at least a 3 year warranty. Also check out each brand/model's
    return policy on defective pixels. There are 2 types of defective pixels,
    ones that stay either all black or all white (all 3 sub-pixels are
    defective) & ones that are 'off color' because one or more of the sub-
    pixels are not working. Each brand has its own specs on how many & how
    far apart each type is considered 'acceptable' & must be exceeded before
    the monitor would be eligible for warranty replacement.

    In the past flat panel monitors were not recommended for gaming due to
    their low refresh rate. However many newer models are suitable for gaming
    but generally cost more.

    Other than the above, the main considerations are cost & space. CRT
    monitors are SUBSTANTIALLY lower in cost (1/3 to 1/5 the cost of a
    similar LCD flat panel) & produce a very bright clear output but are
    heavy & take up much more room. Flat panels are light weight & take up
    much less desk space.

    Tom

    "OCZ Guy" <ModenMr@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

    > If you want touse it for games dont get a LCD, flatscreen, fullstop.

    That used to be the case a few years back, but theyve moved on from then.

    I moved from a 17" CRT to a 15" LG Panel with a 20ms response time, and i
    havent looked back.

    The only drawback is the pixelation when doing tiny graphics work, but thats
    not too often for the average user.

    hamman

Homebuilt Flat Screen Monitors Systems