flat screen advice!

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
July 19, 2004 2:02:57 PM

Hi
I want to buy Flat screen monitor (15-17 inch)and I would like to hear
any adivce about that!! is it good idea or not compare with tub
monitor, what is good brad name I should consider.. etc. I live in
Toronto, Ontario...
thanks

More about : flat screen advice

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
July 19, 2004 10:31:39 PM

esara wrote:

> Hi
> I want to buy Flat screen monitor (15-17 inch)and I would like to hear
> any adivce about that!! is it good idea or not compare with tub
> monitor, what is good brad name I should consider.. etc. I live in
> Toronto, Ontario...
> thanks
There's a difference between a flat screen and a flat panel. They way
that you describe it, it sounds as if you want a flat panel. Make sure
that if you order one you ask for the right type.

Personally I have a Samsung at home and in my office and think both are
excellent.

dick
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
July 19, 2004 10:48:00 PM

"esara" <esara123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I want to buy Flat screen monitor (15-17 inch)and I would like to hear
> any adivce about that!! is it good idea or not compare with tub
> monitor, what is good brad name I should consider.. etc. I live in
> Toronto, Ontario...
> thanks

Well, I see your first reply was really helpful. (!) Not too long ago, it
was better to stick with a CRT monitor for gaming. Now the only reason to
buy a CRT monitor is that it's cheaper. Check out the NEC 1760 17" LCD,
which should be readily available in whatever retail stores you have up
there in Canada. 16ms response time, kick-butt gaming monitor (according to
my teenage nephew who LIVES for gaming), and the best image quality for
Internet and office application use, PERIOD. Only be aware that the NEC LCD
monitors comes from the factory with brightness and contrast turned WAY UP,
which is almost painful to look at because it is so bright. Set both around
50 (halfway) and it looks fantastic. -Dave
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
July 20, 2004 5:19:48 AM

esara123@hotmail.com (esara) wrote in

> Hi
> I want to buy Flat screen monitor (15-17 inch)and I would like to hear
> any adivce about that!! is it good idea or not compare with tub
> monitor, what is good brad name I should consider.. etc. I live in
> Toronto, Ontario...
> thanks

I'm guessing you're talking about a flat panel monitor. I would suggest
one with at least a 3 year warranty. Also check out each brand/model's
return policy on defective pixels. There are 2 types of defective pixels,
ones that stay either all black or all white (all 3 sub-pixels are
defective) & ones that are 'off color' because one or more of the sub-
pixels are not working. Each brand has its own specs on how many & how
far apart each type is considered 'acceptable' & must be exceeded before
the monitor would be eligible for warranty replacement.

In the past flat panel monitors were not recommended for gaming due to
their low refresh rate. However many newer models are suitable for gaming
but generally cost more.

Other than the above, the main considerations are cost & space. CRT
monitors are SUBSTANTIALLY lower in cost (1/3 to 1/5 the cost of a
similar LCD flat panel) & produce a very bright clear output but are
heavy & take up much more room. Flat panels are light weight & take up
much less desk space.

Tom
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
July 20, 2004 10:43:58 PM

"OCZ Guy" <ModenMr@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:D o2of0hm9da7uhid8m0fa9dpdrgs6bi0iq@4ax.com...

> If you want touse it for games dont get a LCD, flatscreen, fullstop.

That used to be the case a few years back, but theyve moved on from then.

I moved from a 17" CRT to a 15" LG Panel with a 20ms response time, and i
havent looked back.

The only drawback is the pixelation when doing tiny graphics work, but thats
not too often for the average user.

hamman
!