Doom3 is real slow on my pc

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.games.doom (More info?)

I bought doom3 at bestbuy today and the FPS hover around 29-30 and drop to
20fps on my 3.2GHZ/800mhz+9800PRO. What the heck gives am I doing something
wrong I figured at 1024x768 no AA I should expect 60fps at least.

Hugo Drax wrote:

> I bought doom3 at bestbuy today and the FPS hover around 29-30 and drop to
> 20fps on my 3.2GHZ/800mhz+9800PRO. What the heck gives am I doing something
> wrong I figured at 1024x768 no AA I should expect 60fps at least.

I would expect you to be getting 0 FPS since it's not out yet.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.games.doom (More info?)

since when was 29-30 fps slow?

"Hugo Drax" <hugodrax@aol.com> wrote in message
> I bought doom3 at bestbuy today and the FPS hover around 29-30 and drop to
> 20fps on my 3.2GHZ/800mhz+9800PRO. What the heck gives am I doing
something
> wrong I figured at 1024x768 no AA I should expect 60fps at least.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.games.doom (More info?)

"Hugo Drax" <hugodrax@aol.com> wrote in message
> I bought doom3 at bestbuy today and the FPS hover around 29-30 and drop to
> 20fps on my 3.2GHZ/800mhz+9800PRO. What the heck gives am I doing
something
> wrong I figured at 1024x768 no AA I should expect 60fps at least.

I thought Doom3 ships on Aug. 3?

"Hugo Drax" <hugodrax@aol.com> said:

> I bought doom3 at bestbuy today and the FPS hover around 29-30 and
> drop to 20fps on my 3.2GHZ/800mhz+9800PRO. What the heck gives am I
> doing something wrong I figured at 1024x768 no AA I should expect
> 60fps at least.

I'm getting 40+ FPS with a 2.53Ghz P4 and Ti4200 @ 1024x768 2xAA. You are
definitely doing something wrong. Try turning the overclocking screw on
the 9800 clockwise until you see visual artifacts, then back off 1/4 turn
and benchmark again.
--
Mac Cool

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.games.doom (More info?)

In article <TR_Kc.11$33z1.1@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>,
do.not.email@yo.mamas.hairy.ass.com says...
> since when was 29-30 fps slow?

Well, since 50 is a minimum. :p

--
Kill them a lot!

I bought Doom 3 today from my local Games shop runs fine on my
system, :)

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:34:31 +0200, Smola <spam@supersmola.net> wrote:

>In article <TR_Kc.11$33z1.1@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>,
>do.not.email@yo.mamas.hairy.ass.com says...
>> since when was 29-30 fps slow?
>
>Well, since 50 is a minimum. :p

The actual minimum FPS is 30. This number is not magical, but is high
enough to allow for smooth enough animation. (Besides, that number is
lower than the reaction time of most humans.) Project IGI is a great
example of this: it only has 30 FPS, but it does not vary as most games do.

In most cases, the FPS shown for games is only an average. It does not
contain information on how much the FPS jumps around, how often it drops
below the critical FPS mark, and so on.

"Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
> "Hugo Drax" <hugodrax@aol.com> said:
>
> > I bought doom3 at bestbuy today and the FPS hover around 29-30 and
> > drop to 20fps on my 3.2GHZ/800mhz+9800PRO. What the heck gives am I
> > doing something wrong I figured at 1024x768 no AA I should expect
> > 60fps at least.
>
> I'm getting 40+ FPS with a 2.53Ghz P4 and Ti4200 @ 1024x768 2xAA. You are
> definitely doing something wrong. Try turning the overclocking screw on
> the 9800 clockwise until you see visual artifacts, then back off 1/4 turn
> and benchmark again.
> --
> Mac Cool

Cool thanks, I never knew what the purpose of that little plastic
screwdriver they ship with was for.

Raymond Martineau wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:34:31 +0200, Smola <spam@supersmola.net> wrote:
>

>>In article <TR_Kc.11$33z1.1@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>,
>>do.not.email@yo.mamas.hairy.ass.com says...
>>
>>>since when was 29-30 fps slow?
>>
>>Well, since 50 is a minimum. :p
>

> The actual minimum FPS is 30. This number is not magical, but is high
> enough to allow for smooth enough animation. (Besides, that number is
> lower than the reaction time of most humans.)

'Reaction time' isn't a good gauge as 'perception' times are much, much
faster. And by that I mean something that 'catches' attention (such as
movement in the peripheral vision field).

The human 'reaction' to it may be 'slow' by comparison, but then you never
react if you don't notice it at all.

> Project IGI is a great
> example of this: it only has 30 FPS, but it does not vary as most games do.
>
> In most cases, the FPS shown for games is only an average. It does not
> contain information on how much the FPS jumps around, how often it drops
> below the critical FPS mark, and so on.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.games.doom (More info?)

How hell did you buy the game if it's not oficially out until beginning og
August.

"Hugo Drax" <hugodrax@aol.com> wrote in message
> I bought doom3 at bestbuy today and the FPS hover around 29-30 and drop to
> 20fps on my 3.2GHZ/800mhz+9800PRO. What the heck gives am I doing
something
> wrong I figured at 1024x768 no AA I should expect 60fps at least.

grieve

"David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Raymond Martineau wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:34:31 +0200, Smola <spam@supersmola.net> wrote:
> >

> >>In article <TR_Kc.11$33z1.1@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>,
> >>do.not.email@yo.mamas.hairy.ass.com says...

> >>Well, since 50 is a minimum. :p
> >

> > The actual minimum FPS is 30. This number is not magical, but is high
> > enough to allow for smooth enough animation. (Besides, that number is
> > lower than the reaction time of most humans.)
>
> 'Reaction time' isn't a good gauge as 'perception' times are much, much
> faster. And by that I mean something that 'catches' attention (such as
> movement in the peripheral vision field).

The original Doom Engine was locked at 30 FPS :)
Most Doom ports had this limit still until now.

Grieve wrote:

> "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>>Raymond Martineau wrote:

>>>The actual minimum FPS is 30. This number is not magical, but is high
>>>enough to allow for smooth enough animation. (Besides, that number is
>>>lower than the reaction time of most humans.)
>>
>>'Reaction time' isn't a good gauge as 'perception' times are much, much
>>faster. And by that I mean something that 'catches' attention (such as
>>movement in the peripheral vision field).
>>

> The original Doom Engine was locked at 30 FPS :)
> Most Doom ports had this limit still until now.

Yes, but I wasn't talking about the merits of the game design, I was
talking about the design of human beings.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.games.doom (More info?)

In article <orkqf05fjha6j7op70hgp1jusjiiu0no5s@4ax.com>, bk039
@freenet.carleton.ca says...
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:34:31 +0200, Smola <spam@supersmola.net> wrote:
>
> >In article <TR_Kc.11$33z1.1@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>,
> >do.not.email@yo.mamas.hairy.ass.com says...
> >> since when was 29-30 fps slow?
> >
> >Well, since 50 is a minimum. :p
>
> The actual minimum FPS is 30. This number is not magical, but is high
> enough to allow for smooth enough animation. (Besides, that number is
> lower than the reaction time of most humans.) Project IGI is a great
> example of this: it only has 30 FPS, but it does not vary as most games do.
>
> In most cases, the FPS shown for games is only an average. It does not
> contain information on how much the FPS jumps around, how often it drops
> below the critical FPS mark, and so on.

Well, I just remember reading somewhere that for arcade games the 50 fps
should be the minimum. When I look back at playing Quake2, 30-35 fps was
never enough for me.

--
I don't play well with others.

Smola <spam@supersmola.net> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b6876e51b38407a989eb9@news.iskon.hr>...
> In article <orkqf05fjha6j7op70hgp1jusjiiu0no5s@4ax.com>, bk039
> @freenet.carleton.ca says...
> > On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:34:31 +0200, Smola <spam@supersmola.net> wrote:
> >
> > >In article <TR_Kc.11$33z1.1@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>,
> > >do.not.email@yo.mamas.hairy.ass.com says...
> > >
> > >Well, since 50 is a minimum. :p
> >
> > The actual minimum FPS is 30. This number is not magical, but is high
> > enough to allow for smooth enough animation. (Besides, that number is
> > lower than the reaction time of most humans.) Project IGI is a great
> > example of this: it only has 30 FPS, but it does not vary as most games do.
> >
> > In most cases, the FPS shown for games is only an average. It does not
> > contain information on how much the FPS jumps around, how often it drops
> > below the critical FPS mark, and so on.
>
> Well, I just remember reading somewhere that for arcade games the 50 fps
> should be the minimum. When I look back at playing Quake2, 30-35 fps was
> never enough for me.

I don't know about anyone else, but frame rates over 35 or so FPS
seems to have a "glassy", unnatural look to it. 30 seems to be
the "magic number" for me, when it comes to realism.

(notice how live or video taped NTSC footage seems to have a higher FPS
than the "real world?". am i the only one who notices this?

David Besack <daveREMOVEbesack@mac.com> wrote in message news:<cdho9u$am2m$1@netnews.upenn.edu>...
> Hugo Drax wrote:
>
> > I bought doom3 at bestbuy today and the FPS hover around 29-30 and drop to
> > 20fps on my 3.2GHZ/800mhz+9800PRO. What the heck gives am I doing something
> > wrong I figured at 1024x768 no AA I should expect 60fps at least.
>
> I would expect you to be getting 0 FPS since it's not out yet.

He must've imported a time machine from Brazil (extremely obscure
Simpsons halloween reference :)

shawk

"äÍÉÔÒÉÊ íÉÎËÉÎ" <user@host.com> wrote in message
> How hell did you buy the game if it's not oficially out until beginning og
> August.
>

> "Hugo Drax" <hugodrax@aol.com> wrote in message
> > I bought doom3 at bestbuy today and the FPS hover around 29-30 and drop
> > 20fps on my 3.2GHZ/800mhz+9800PRO. What the heck gives am I doing
> something
> > wrong I figured at 1024x768 no AA I should expect 60fps at least.

Doh! Hugo got one!

Proprclr wrote:

> Smola <spam@supersmola.net> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b6876e51b38407a989eb9@news.iskon.hr>...
>
>>In article <orkqf05fjha6j7op70hgp1jusjiiu0no5s@4ax.com>, bk039
>>@freenet.carleton.ca says...

>>>The actual minimum FPS is 30. This number is not magical, but is high
>>>enough to allow for smooth enough animation. (Besides, that number is
>>>lower than the reaction time of most humans.) Project IGI is a great
>>>example of this: it only has 30 FPS, but it does not vary as most games do.
>>>
>>>In most cases, the FPS shown for games is only an average. It does not
>>>contain information on how much the FPS jumps around, how often it drops
>>>below the critical FPS mark, and so on.
>>
>>Well, I just remember reading somewhere that for arcade games the 50 fps
>>should be the minimum. When I look back at playing Quake2, 30-35 fps was
>>never enough for me.
>

> I don't know about anyone else, but frame rates over 35 or so FPS
> seems to have a "glassy", unnatural look to it. 30 seems to be
> the "magic number" for me, when it comes to realism.

There is nothing about a higher 'FPS' that would 'detract' from realism.
More likely is there is some other factor with generating the images that
go INTO the 'higher FPS' that causes the effect you perceive.

The human eye/brain combination does a lot of 'interpretation' and causes
things one might think are irrelevant to sometimes have dramatic effects.
As just one example, the eye/brain makes 'predictions' about movement,
which is one reason why fixed frame rate video appears as smooth motion.
But if the frame rate is not constant, like some versions of 3/2 pull down,
a fast moving object will appear as TWO objects because the brain thinks,
based on movement in the previous frames, that it should be 'here' when
it's still 'there', so the 'there' observation gets perceived as another one.

Not saying that's what you were seeing but if, for example, to get the
'higher' frame rates the game simply inserts a few additional frames of the
same image, appropriately interspersed to make up for the needed extra
frames, then the eye/brain will not see it as 'natural' because the
movement rapidly stop/starts every time an extra frame is inserted.

> (notice how live or video taped NTSC footage seems to have a higher FPS
> than the "real world?". am i the only one who notices this?

I have no idea what you mean by a "higher FPS than the 'real world'".

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.games.doom (More info?)

In article <cb8bd93a.0407212058.4a3dec8@posting.google.com>, balanco01
@yahoo.com says...

I don't know about anyone else, but frame rates over 35 or so FPS
> seems to have a "glassy", unnatural look to it. 30 seems to be
> the "magic number" for me, when it comes to realism.

Well, I think the problem is that an average rate of 35 fps will
eventually fall to 8-10 fps when the action becomes two crowdy (have I
said this right? :) ).
So, average rate of 60 fps will ensure you at least 30 fps in any
situation.

> (notice how live or video taped NTSC footage seems to have a higher FPS
> than the "real world?". am i the only one who notices this?

I did notice that too.

--
I don't play well with others.

http://mikhailtech.com/articles/editorials/fps/
--
Mac Cool

Smola <spam@supersmola.net> said:

>> (notice how live or video taped NTSC footage seems to have a higher FPS
>> than the "real world?". am i the only one who notices this?
>
> I did notice that too.

What are you talking about?

--
Mac Cool

Where? Everything I have seen says it won't be out until Aug 3, including
BestBuy's web site, and Doom3's web site.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.games.doom (More info?)

It's not even out yet.
"Hugo Drax" <hugodrax@aol.com> wrote in message
> I bought doom3 at bestbuy today and the FPS hover around 29-30 and drop to
> 20fps on my 3.2GHZ/800mhz+9800PRO. What the heck gives am I doing
something
> wrong I figured at 1024x768 no AA I should expect 60fps at least.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.games.doom (More info?)

this same dude posted on half life exactly the same post replacing half life
2 with doom 3

--
Almeyda

"Proprclr" <balanco01@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> David Besack <daveREMOVEbesack@mac.com> wrote in message
> > Hugo Drax wrote:
> >
> > > I bought doom3 at bestbuy today and the FPS hover around 29-30 and
drop to
> > > 20fps on my 3.2GHZ/800mhz+9800PRO. What the heck gives am I doing
something
> > > wrong I figured at 1024x768 no AA I should expect 60fps at least.
> >
> > I would expect you to be getting 0 FPS since it's not out yet.
>
> He must've imported a time machine from Brazil (extremely obscure
> Simpsons halloween reference :)

stan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.games.doom (More info?)

TOOL!