Are these components all compatible?

Someone help me with my impending home-build?
Are the folloeing parts all compatible and well-suited:

motherboard:
Abit NF7
(V2.0 nForce2 Socket A 8xAGP LAN USB2 6 ch Sound DDR400 Memory)

cpu:
AMD Athlon XP2500 333FSB 512 L2 Cache Barton

RAM:
256 DDR400 PC3200

Hard drives:
Seagate ST3120026A 120gb 7200rpm 8mb Cache Barracuda 7200.7 Plus - OEM

Maxtor 6Y080P0 Plus 9 80Gb 7200rpm 8mb Cache ATA133 Hard Drive - OEM

IDE cables:
High Quality Round IDE cable Ata133 x3

Finally, what wattage of PSU do I need?

Thank you,
Ally

Fitz

Yes, the components are compatible. Your RAM is rated at 400 MHz, and the
processor is 333 MHz, but nothing wrong with that, as the 2500+ Barton core
overclocks very well. Just wanted you to understand that just because the
motherboard is rated at 400 MHz and you buy 400 MHz memory, that's not the
speed it will run at. It will run at 333 MHz, as that is the speed the
processor FSB will be detected (or set) at. Unless you O/C it.

As for the power supply, it's as important to get clean, reliable power as
it is to get sufficient power. Antec and Enermax make good power supplies.
Get one with 2 fans (one on the bottom and one on the back). Less will do
the trick, but I would suggest 400W+
(Antec makes a good 430W).

Opinions will vary, and I will probably get flamed for "overkill', but more
is better than not enough.

Fitz

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:30:14 -0800, "Fitz" <akfitz@mtaonline.net>
wrote:

>>Yes, the components are compatible. Your RAM is rated at 400 MHz, and the
>>processor is 333 MHz, but nothing wrong with that, as the 2500+ Barton core
>>overclocks very well. Just wanted you to understand that just because the
>>motherboard is rated at 400 MHz and you buy 400 MHz memory, that's not the
>>speed it will run at. It will run at 333 MHz, as that is the speed the
>>processor FSB will be detected (or set) at. Unless you O/C it.
>>
>>As for the power supply, it's as important to get clean, reliable power as
>>it is to get sufficient power. Antec and Enermax make good power supplies.
>>Get one with 2 fans (one on the bottom and one on the back). Less will do
>>the trick, but I would suggest 400W+
>>(Antec makes a good 430W).
>>
>>Opinions will vary, and I will probably get flamed for "overkill', but more
>>is better than not enough.
>>
>>Fitz

Hi Fitz,
Thank you kindly for the reply, info and suggestions. I hope I can
find a really quiet PSU. I need this machine for recording in a home
studiom; I've got to make it as silent as possible. I was told that
PSU's with large fans are supposed to be quieter because they can run
slower. But maybe the same holds true for twin-fanned PSUs.

Best,

Ally

shawk

"Ally" <Ally888@nospamxyz.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:30:14 -0800, "Fitz" <akfitz@mtaonline.net>
> wrote:
>
> >>Yes, the components are compatible. Your RAM is rated at 400 MHz, and
the
> >>processor is 333 MHz, but nothing wrong with that, as the 2500+ Barton
core
> >>overclocks very well. Just wanted you to understand that just because
the
> >>motherboard is rated at 400 MHz and you buy 400 MHz memory, that's not
the
> >>speed it will run at. It will run at 333 MHz, as that is the speed the
> >>processor FSB will be detected (or set) at. Unless you O/C it.
> >>
> >>As for the power supply, it's as important to get clean, reliable power
as
> >>it is to get sufficient power. Antec and Enermax make good power
supplies.
> >>Get one with 2 fans (one on the bottom and one on the back). Less will
do
> >>the trick, but I would suggest 400W+
> >>(Antec makes a good 430W).
> >>
> >>Opinions will vary, and I will probably get flamed for "overkill', but
more
> >>is better than not enough.
> >>
> >>Fitz
>
> Hi Fitz,
> Thank you kindly for the reply, info and suggestions. I hope I can
> find a really quiet PSU. I need this machine for recording in a home
> studiom; I've got to make it as silent as possible. I was told that
> PSU's with large fans are supposed to be quieter because they can run
> slower. But maybe the same holds true for twin-fanned PSUs.
>
> Best,
>
> Ally

A lot of noise problems can be corrected with a good case which you havent
mentioned. Take a look at things like the Antec Sonata. Antec also do a
noise 'muffling' kit for some of their other cases if you dont like the
Sonata. I'll let you know about the dual fan Antec 430W PSU - I'm expecting
one to be delivered tomorrow with my new case. HTH. Shaun

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:20:22 +0100, "Shawk"
<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

>>> Thank you kindly for the reply, info and suggestions. I hope I can
>>> find a really quiet PSU. I need this machine for recording in a home
>>> studiom; I've got to make it as silent as possible. I was told that
>>> PSU's with large fans are supposed to be quieter because they can run
>>> slower. But maybe the same holds true for twin-fanned PSUs.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Ally
>>>

>>A lot of noise problems can be corrected with a good case which you havent
>>mentioned. Take a look at things like the Antec Sonata. Antec also do a
>>noise 'muffling' kit for some of their other cases if you dont like the
>>Sonata. I'll let you know about the dual fan Antec 430W PSU - I'm expecting
>>one to be delivered tomorrow with my new case. HTH. Shaun

Hi Shaun,
many thanks for that. It was just what I needed to know. I was having
difficulty deciding on a case. Now I've decided on the
Antec Solution Slk3700amb. It includes a two fan quiet PSU which is
worth almost as much as the case! It's good good reviews at the site.
I'm in the UK. Here's the URL if anyone wants to see it:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=49275

Thanks again,
Ally

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

Do you mean 2x 256mb DDR400?
512mb would be recommended, and as the Nforce2 is a dual-channel board you
need two memory sticks to get the speed advantage...

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 23:03:02 GMT, "GTS" <gts123NOSPAM@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>>Do you mean 2x 256mb DDR400?
>>512mb would be recommended, and as the Nforce2 is a dual-channel board you
>>need two memory sticks to get the speed advantage...

Hi there - Yes - thanks, I forgot to add the "x2"

Ally

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 23:39:39 GMT, Matt <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com>
wrote:

>>GTS wrote:
>>> Do you mean 2x 256mb DDR400?
>>> 512mb would be recommended, and as the Nforce2 is a dual-channel board you
>>> need two memory sticks to get the speed advantage...
>>
>>1 x 512 will be better---for future expansion. There will not be a
>>speed advantage from dual channel DDR unless that motherboard has
>>on-board graphics.

Hi Matt, Wow - that's an interesting comment; thanks... No, the mobo
doesn't have onboard graphics, only onboard sound which I won't be
using. I appreciate you mentioning this, because I almost certainly
will want to upgrade - hopefully while its still possible to buy
another 512mb stick that works alongside the old one!

wrote:

>>GTS wrote:
>>> Do you mean 2x 256mb DDR400?
>>> 512mb would be recommended, and as the Nforce2 is a dual-channel board you
>>> need two memory sticks to get the speed advantage...
>>
>>1 x 512 will be better---for future expansion. There will not be a
>>speed advantage from dual channel DDR unless that motherboard has
>>on-board graphics.

I've switched the order to one stick of:

Samsung 512 PC3200 DDR400 184pin

That "184 pin" is suitable isn't it? (it looks a slightly different
shape than the other ones I had in mind...)

> >>A lot of noise problems can be corrected with a good case which you
havent
> >>mentioned. Take a look at things like the Antec Sonata. Antec also do
> >>noise 'muffling' kit for some of their other cases if you dont like the
> >>Sonata. I'll let you know about the dual fan Antec 430W PSU - I'm
expecting
> >>one to be delivered tomorrow with my new case. HTH. Shaun
>
> Hi Shaun,
> many thanks for that. It was just what I needed to know. I was having
> difficulty deciding on a case. Now I've decided on the
> Antec Solution Slk3700amb. It includes a two fan quiet PSU which is
> worth almost as much as the case! It's good good reviews at the site.
> I'm in the UK. Here's the URL if anyone wants to see it:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=49275

> Thanks again,
> Ally

Looks just what you need. You havent mentioned a graphics card (unless I
missed it). Graphics card can be a drain on the PSU but a good quality PSU
like the Antec should be fine. I think this is the case you can get the
additional soundproofing for?

I've gone for one I guess will be noisier - the Antec Plus 1080AMG with the
430W PSU. Also in the UK and ordered from www.overclockers.co.uk Pretty
good service, comparable prices and quick delivery. Not sure what they're
like on aftersales but I'll be able to tell you soon - just had to RMA a gra
phics card.

Shaun

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:20:36 +0100, "Shawk"
<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

>>Looks just what you need. You havent mentioned a graphics card (unless I
>>missed it). Graphics card can be a drain on the PSU but a good quality PSU
>>like the Antec should be fine.

Oh yes! I forgot the graphics card... I have an old one here which I'm
hoping will work.

>> I think this is the case you can get the
>>additional soundproofing for?

I hope so. If not, I've seen kits of soundpooring material - but I
thought it seemed expensive. I was thinking of making a long wooden
box, lined with thick carpet, (open at both ends to let air flow
through).

>>I've gone for one I guess will be noisier - the Antec Plus 1080AMG with the
>>430W PSU. Also in the UK and ordered from www.overclockers.co.uk Pretty
>>good service, comparable prices and quick delivery. Not sure what they're
>>like on aftersales but I'll be able to tell you soon - just had to RMA a gra
>>phics card.

I hope you have a good experience with overclockers.com. How come you
chose that case rather than the Antec Solution Slk3700amb? I guess you
get what you pay for, anyway.

I'm ordering from e-buyer; prices seem very good there.

> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:20:36 +0100, "Shawk"
> <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
>

> I hope you have a good experience with overclockers.com. How come you
> chose that case rather than the Antec Solution Slk3700amb? I guess you
> get what you pay for, anyway.
>
> I'm ordering from e-buyer; prices seem very good there.
>
> Ally

Very similar cases and like both but chose that one purely for the Antec
430W PSU. Have a lot of things plugged into my PC and while the 350 would
probably be OK at the moment I'm a sod for adding new things and wanted the
power there for the future.

Good luck with the build, Shaun

Matt wrote:
> GTS wrote:
>> Do you mean 2x 256mb DDR400?
>> 512mb would be recommended, and as the Nforce2 is a dual-channel
>> board you need two memory sticks to get the speed advantage...
>
> 1 x 512 will be better---for future expansion. There will not be a
> speed advantage from dual channel DDR unless that motherboard has
> on-board graphics.

yes there will. minimal, but there will be.

ddr3200 is a cheaper bet, too.
oh, and for the record, the sonata's not all that great. i've one, and
whilst it's nice, it's not particularly quiet.