BIOS ROM checksum error

Hello,
I can't seem to get my PC to boot. I get the error:

Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0
Copyright....

BIOS ROM checksum error
Detecting floppy drive A media
Insert system media and press Enter

I have swapped out the power supply, battery, floppy and data cable to no
avail. I have also cleared the CMOS.

For a time I was able to boot off the C: drive which has
XP installed but now I can't any further than the above error.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
Abbie

Did you clean the C-MOS battery itself and the two clips ?
Rub them with a Q-Tip dipped into isopropilic alchool (dryer than ethanol or
methanol) and blow dry air onto.

The reason is that the currents are very very low and a bad contact due to
oxidation or dirt or grease deposited by the fingers while handling the
battery can be highly unstable, causing unpredictable resistances and
leading to loss of contact.

Don't touch the contacts after cleaning nor the battery unless you're
wearing clean gloves or you're using a piece of clean cotton fabric.

Quite frequent, especially if RH is rather high.

Every summer, when the humidity rises to 80/85%, I've problems with a 5-y
old computer.

"James Doherty" <jdoherty2@nyc.rr.com> a écrit dans le message news:
LoyLc.38706$oW6.6639841@twister.nyc.rr.com...
> Hello,
> I can't seem to get my PC to boot. I get the error:
>
> Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0
> Copyright....
>
> BIOS ROM checksum error
> Detecting floppy drive A media
> Insert system media and press Enter
>
> I have swapped out the power supply, battery, floppy and data cable to no
> avail. I have also cleared the CMOS.
>
> For a time I was able to boot off the C: drive which has
> XP installed but now I can't any further than the above error.
>
> Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
> Abbie

Spajky

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 18:15:07 GMT, "James Doherty"
<jdoherty2@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

>BIOS ROM checksum error
>Detecting floppy drive A media
>Insert system media and press Enter

you are lucky, Bios damaged but recognizes FD:

you have to prepare a bootable FD with a minimum DOS system
(Command.com + Io.sys + Msdos.sys) taken from W98 boot FD

& added program & file for flashing the Bios with the same MoBo Bios
flash file (find it on a manufacturers site). Than make an
Autoexec.bat file with line for example with those switches:
A:\AWDFL741 W663MJ33 /SN /PY /CP /CD /CC /R /LD
& put it on the FD

Legend: example:
AWDFL741=flash program for my mobo
W663MJ33=flash file for my mobo

BE CAREFUL to flash your Bios with exact flash file for your MoBo &
hope that passess ok (do not do it when storms are around,)
if something goes wrong, your MoBo is toasted (fortunatelly there are
rescueing techniques too...)

Put into FDD that FD & restart the machine & follow the screen
procedure ... (after Bios programming, the machine should restart
itself alone ...

see also:
http://www.badflash.com/main.html
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/blastman/BADBIOS/Default.htm