clrmamepro questions

ok, i am an idiot and got totally lost reading the FAQ on clrmamepro site.
i used pleasuredome site some time ago to do it last time at roms .90 and
was very helpful cause screenshots of clrmamepro on that site!

i don't want to get lost and start over and overwrite roms now(11gb)! i
downloaded cmp 373 and ready to go but not sure what to do next. i already
used Profiler and then Create then pointed to mame.exe and named it
mame.99(or whatever) for Profile name, correct?

then i Load/Update that profile(of course then small one-touch windows with
tabs comes up) then scan with pointed at roms?? this is where i really get
lost and don't want to overwrite/delete anything. i remember using a
program to change the rom names slightly so that clrmamepro would know what
is old or not!

i now i have to specify directory of roms folder in Settings thenwhat is
backup folder (Misc Options) used for? should i unzip anything at all?

i pointed to roms and samples in Settings and then Scan? a whole huge list
comes up on side of window and underneath of missing/bad roms.

Missing Sets: 222 of 5705
Wrong SetName Case: 0
Wrong Named Sets: 23

Missing Roms: 3606 (213 are 'nodumps') of 83104
Missing Bytes: 2gb of 40gb
Wrong Named Roms: 1034
Wrong RomName Case: 0
Wrong Sized Roms: 19
Wrong Date/Time Roms: 0
Wrong CRC32s: 17
Wrong MD5s: <n/a>
Wrong SHA1s: <n/a>

Missing Samples: 2419 of 2419

whats next steps?

TIA,
Kelly
17 answers Last reply
More about clrmamepro questions

    First of all...there is a clrmamepro forum at www.clrmame.com ;)

    The normal usage is:

    - select a datfile (or let clrmamepro auto-create one for you...)
    looks like you already made that step ;)

    - go to settings and setup rompaths (maybe sample paths as well if you
    want to chose them, too)

    - go to the scanner and hit scan

    That's basically it...

    The scanresults tree window shows you detailed information what is wrong
    in which set. Usually enabling the fix options will fix most problems
    automatically. Completely missing roms won't be created magically of
    course and bad dumps (wrong checksums) can only be repaired if you got
    the correct dump.

    Merge mode is another thing you should define once...very common is
    split-merged (which is enabled by default).

    So basically you only need a method to add new files to your
    collection...That's either done by fix-missing (keeping newly collected
    files in a defined addpath) or by using the rebuilder.

    You don't have to be afraid of anything since any removed file (e.g.
    when marked as unneeded) is backup'ed to the backupfolder.

    The only thing YOU have to care about: Use the correct datfile
    (database) for the correct collection...in other words: don't try to
    scan a nebula set with MAME definitions or your c:\ folder with a Kawaks
    dat.

    ok, thanks Roman...i see where there are less problems once i selected fix
    names and sizes!

    rebuilder....what exactly does this do? this does not retrieve the
    remaining roms that i am misssing for .100, right? i would still have to
    ftp the updating roms, correct? does the scanner unzip or do something that
    the rebuilder has to reform?
    source and destination should be which folders? should i use the default
    "Use Back up path" for source and "Use 1st roms path" for destin?

    i think if this was explained to me in laymans(sp) terms to what each thing
    is doing....then i would comprehend it!!! the terminology/acronyms used on
    the official site and what you guys talk about have me at "Hello" ;)

    but i'm getting there, bare with,
    TIA
    Kelly

    "Roman Scherzer" <cmpro@1und1.de> wrote in message
    > First of all...there is a clrmamepro forum at www.clrmame.com ;)
    >
    > The normal usage is:
    >
    > - select a datfile (or let clrmamepro auto-create one for you...)
    > looks like you already made that step ;)
    >
    > - go to settings and setup rompaths (maybe sample paths as well if you
    > want to chose them, too)
    >
    > - go to the scanner and hit scan
    >
    > That's basically it...
    >
    > The scanresults tree window shows you detailed information what is wrong
    > in which set. Usually enabling the fix options will fix most problems
    > automatically. Completely missing roms won't be created magically of
    > course and bad dumps (wrong checksums) can only be repaired if you got the
    > correct dump.
    >
    > Merge mode is another thing you should define once...very common is
    > split-merged (which is enabled by default).
    >
    > So basically you only need a method to add new files to your
    > collection...That's either done by fix-missing (keeping newly collected
    > files in a defined addpath) or by using the rebuilder.
    >

    > You don't have to be afraid of anything since any removed file (e.g. when
    > marked as unneeded) is backup'ed to the backupfolder.
    >
    > The only thing YOU have to care about: Use the correct datfile (database)
    > for the correct collection...in other words: don't try to scan a nebula
    > set with MAME definitions or your c:\ folder with a Kawaks dat.

    > Clrmamepro is a very great piece of software but it doesn't do magic. You
    > have to provide the missing files yourself.

    i know this is really a great tool listening to everyone here! when i
    update roms download, is there a specific path that it has to be? just
    normal rompath or new destination path from rebuilder?

    > Use whatever you want as source folder, but make a new destination folder
    > for your rebuilt roms.

    ok, that's done....now if i go to pleasuredome and download "update roms",
    how does this know what i already have(roms) now that i have just rebuilt to
    a specific folder just created(only a few roms files)? do i use merger
    "tab" for anything?

    i guess i should say, what is the destination folder for? what do with
    romfiles in it?

    Kelly

    > Wrong Named Sets: 23

    turn on set + name + fix name

    > Missing Roms: 3606 (213 are 'nodumps') of 83104

    well...you need the missing files of course somewhere....enabling
    fix missing will probably automatic find some. the nodumps can be
    replaced with dummy placeholders (scanner nodump handling->create missing)

    > Wrong Named Roms: 1034

    turn on rom + name + fix name

    > Wrong Sized Roms: 19

    turn on rom + size + fix size

    > Wrong CRC32s: 17

    You need to find correct dumps for this

    > Missing Samples: 2419 of 2419

    Well...setup a samplepath and get the samplesets from www.mame.net

    Kelly Ray wrote:
    Snipped

    > ok, that's done....now if i go to pleasuredome and download "update roms",
    > how does this know what i already have(roms) now that i have just rebuilt to
    > a specific folder just created(only a few roms files)? do i use merger
    > "tab" for anything?

    This is what I do. Once you have your ROM set clrmamepro'd. Run the
    program torrentzip on the MAME ROM folder. It should take some time as
    it checks each set and does its magic.

    Now download your (for example) MAME .100 torrent file and save to your
    MAME ROM directory. If you have done this correctly then you should
    find AT LEAST some of the set shows as already downloaded.

    If it doesnt...

    1) You have it set to the wrong path.. like C:\mame\roms\roms folder
    instead of C:\mame\roms

    2) You re-scanned with clrmamepro which adjusted the hashes for the
    files. You will need to verify this with torrentzip, it will not re-do
    correctly torrentziped zips.

    3) Your set is too old/too many different zips to see the few that are
    correct on the tracker.

    Remember (as the front page says) pleasure-dome is a ratio site, dont
    forget to share!

    Good luck!

    --
    MCR
    MAME(tm) - History In The Making

    >> ok, that's done....now if i go to pleasuredome and download "update
    >> roms",
    >> how does this know what i already have(roms) now that i have just rebuilt
    >> to a specific folder just created(only a few roms files)? do i use
    >> merger "tab" for anything?
    >
    > This is what I do. Once you have your ROM set clrmamepro'd. Run the
    > program torrentzip on the MAME ROM folder. It should take some time as it
    > checks each set and does its magic.

    so you do use the merger tab to combine the 2 folders to main rom folder
    then?

    > 2) You re-scanned with clrmamepro which adjusted the hashes for the files.
    > You will need to verify this with torrentzip, it will not re-do correctly
    > torrentziped zips.

    how would i know if i re-scanned since i have done, experimenting a few
    different times? how can i tell if they are hashed or not? just don't want
    to waste a week and a half downloading/overwriting what i already have!!
    since i have most(version .90), i wouldn't think that it would take too long
    to update roms!

    > Remember (as the front page says) pleasure-dome is a ratio site, dont
    > forget to share!

    yes, i plan too if i figure out how...i think i did this before though!

    thanks,
    Kelly

    Kelly Ray wrote:
    Snipped

    > so you do use the merger tab to combine the 2 folders to main rom folder
    > then?

    I would just go into settings and set the path to your MAME ROM
    directory. I wouldnt bother trying to copy into another folder and
    re-scan. Basically just leave your ROMs in the folder they are in for
    MAME and set clrmamepro up to scan that folder. By default clrmamepro
    backs up un-used ROMs to the clrmame backup folder, so dont worry about
    deleting ROMs you'll need. You dont need to re-build, you just have to
    scan the set using the scanner.

    > how would i know if i re-scanned since i have done, experimenting a few
    > different times? how can i tell if they are hashed or not? just don't want
    > to waste a week and a half downloading/overwriting what i already have!!
    > since i have most(version .90), i wouldn't think that it would take too long
    > to update roms!

    If you re-scan it, torrentzip will know if they have previously been
    hashed and ignore the zip.. If torrenzip skips all the sets, you know
    you have successfully torrentzipped.

    >>Remember (as the front page says) pleasure-dome is a ratio site, dont
    >>forget to share!
    >

    > yes, i plan too if i figure out how...i think i did this before though!

    Of course. Its just if I dont mention it, I would be doing the site an
    injustice! I am not the site owner BTW, I am just a member!

    --
    MCR
    MAME(tm) - History In The Making
    www.pleasure-dome.org.uk

    > It takes all the rom/sample/chd files

    Wrong. The rebuilder only works for ROMs.

    > The rebuilder doesn't know what to rebuild before the roms have been
    > scanned.

    Wrong again. The rebuilder isn't even setbased (it's filebased) and a
    total different module which isn't connected to the scanner at all.

    No you don't have to use the merger at any time.

    always use the scanner to fix all problems and the rebuilder to add
    files to your collections. Nothing more, nothing less.

    Sune Salminen wrote:
    > Roman Scherzer wrote:
    >
    >>>It takes all the rom/sample/chd files
    >>

    >>Wrong. The rebuilder only works for ROMs.
    >>

    >>>The rebuilder doesn't know what to rebuild before the roms have been
    >>>scanned.
    >>

    >>Wrong again. The rebuilder isn't even setbased (it's filebased) and a
    >>total different module which isn't connected to the scanner at all.
    >

    > Argh, right.
    >
    > I was confusing the scanner with the rebuilder.
    >
    > I never use the rebuilder myself.
    >
    > -Sune

    Its either your age or the children that are making you as senile as me ;-)

    --

    Sune Salminen wrote:
    > MCR wrote:
    >
    >>Sune Salminen wrote:

    >>>Argh, right.
    >>>
    >>>I was confusing the scanner with the rebuilder.
    >>>
    >>>I never use the rebuilder myself.
    >>>
    >>>-Sune
    >>>

    >>Its either your age or the children that are making you as senile as
    >>me ;-)
    >

    > ..who are you again...?
    >
    > ö_Ö
    >
    > -Sune

    Me? I am Sune... I *think* or I could be Deadly Dad or Dungeon Dave...
    I know I am *SOMEONE* ;-)

    --

    MER wrote:
    > Sune Salminen wrote:
    >
    >> MCR wrote:

    >>> Its either your age or the children that are making you as senile as
    >>> me ;-)
    >>

    >> ..who are you again...?
    >>
    >> ö_Ö
    >>
    >> -Sune
    >>

    > Me? I am Sune... I *think* or I could be Deadly Dad or Dungeon Dave...
    > I know I am *SOMEONE* ;-)

    Well, I know you are not me, and you seem too intelligent to be
    DD.....<GBEG>

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Deadly_Dad

    crucifixion@pteriony.gov
    Lutianidae@rainbird.Antheraeat.be
    Takilman@ponticularr.edu
    synartesis@bravoite.unicea.int
    Hymenomycetes@cyclometrical.incoheringg.is

    Deadly_Dad wrote:

    Snipped

    >>> ..who are you again...?
    >>>
    >>> ö_Ö
    >>>
    >>> -Sune
    >>>

    >> Me? I am Sune... I *think* or I could be Deadly Dad or Dungeon
    >> Dave... I know I am *SOMEONE* ;-)
    >>

    > Well, I know you are not me, and you seem too intelligent to be
    > DD.....<GBEG>

    Well I dont know about DD, but my IQ varies between above average to
    moron depending on alcohol content! :-D

    --

    MCR wrote:

    >> Well, I know you are not me, and you seem too intelligent to be
    >> DD.....<GBEG>
    >
    > Well I dont know about DD, but my IQ varies between above average to
    > moron depending on alcohol content! :-D

    Average with a high alcohol content and moron with no alcohol content? ;)

    --
    FSogol

    FSogol wrote:
    > MCR wrote:
    >

    >>> Well, I know you are not me, and you seem too intelligent to be
    >>> DD.....<GBEG>
    >>

    >> Well I dont know about DD, but my IQ varies between above average to
    >> moron depending on alcohol content! :-D
    >>
    > Average with a high alcohol content and moron with no alcohol content? ;)

    Isnt that what I said :-P ??!?!?!?

    --

    MER wrote:
    > FSogol wrote:

    >>> Well I dont know about DD, but my IQ varies between above average to
    >>> moron depending on alcohol content! :-D
    >>>
    >> Average with a high alcohol content and moron with no alcohol content? ;)
    >>

    > Isnt that what I said :-P ??!?!?!?

    It's like that old adage: 'Nobody's ugly by closing time." <G>

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Deadly_Dad

    kgallantizef@uoutsulkz.mil tsaltfootr@zparallelogrammich.int
    nnachj@shusbandhoodb.com junchokedk@usorrowg.net
    lschtoffa@ibacillarieaey.edu csociodramaq@ebasidiolichenesf.edu
    osubcrureusu@pwoodcraftinessz.edu rocotean@ubakuz.com
    hprofoundnessy@claudv.org rpermiakh@cgeomancyl.net

    Deadly_Dad wrote:
    > MER wrote:
    >
    >> FSogol wrote:

    >>> Average with a high alcohol content and moron with no alcohol
    >>> content? ;)
    >>>

    >> Isnt that what I said :-P ??!?!?!?
    >>

    > It's like that old adage: 'Nobody's ugly by closing time." <G>

    he he... I think we've *all* suffered from that at some stage in our
    lives :-D

    --
    MCR
    MAME(tm) - History In The Making