Athlon XP 3200+ to a AMD64 2800+ - Worthwhile upgrade?

Is it worth upgrading to a amd64 2800+ from a xp3200+?

Rest of system is

Audigy 2 zs
PCI freeview card
768mb pc3200 ram
plextor dvd writer
2x 80gig hdd ( ide )
radeon 9800 pro

cheers all

paul
10 answers Last reply
More about athlon 3200 amd64 2800 worthwhile upgrade

    me!! wrote:
    > Is it worth upgrading to a amd64 2800+ from a xp3200+?
    >
    > Rest of system is
    >
    > Audigy 2 zs
    > PCI freeview card
    > 768mb pc3200 ram
    > plextor dvd writer
    > 2x 80gig hdd ( ide )
    > radeon 9800 pro
    >
    > cheers all
    >
    > paul

    what can't you do with your existing setup?

    ric

    It would be faster, you could keep everything i think, but just change
    the mobo and the cpu, not sure about the ram, ?

    But you prob wont notice any difference, unless you runa bechmark
    program and watch you FPS in games.

    On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:01:54 GMT, me!! <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >Is it worth upgrading to a amd64 2800+ from a xp3200+?
    >
    >Rest of system is
    >
    >Audigy 2 zs
    >PCI freeview card
    >768mb pc3200 ram
    >plextor dvd writer
    >2x 80gig hdd ( ide )
    >radeon 9800 pro
    >
    >cheers all
    >
    >paul

    On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:01:54 GMT, me!! <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >Is it worth upgrading to a amd64 2800+ from a xp3200+?

    I've got a 2800 and K8T800 motherboard, and it's about the same as an
    XP3100 ;)

    It does run cooler though, and it's memory functions are very good.
    And since I upgraded from a PIII, I'm not too disappointed.

    The question though is how well it will overclock with a good Nforce3
    250gb motherboard and PC4000 (or better) ram. I suspect it should get
    up to a AMD64 3100-3200 range easily. Sadly my current motherboard
    don't overclock too well ;)

    The 2800 has a multiplier of 9 and it looks like people drop the
    multiplier when overclocking with higher hypertransport speeds; so it
    may be a good choice. Prices have dropped.

    In article <35i5g0pn8mdd4irlgd128s5ko0fidf9ub1@4ax.com>, OCZ Guy
    says...

    > It would be faster, you could keep everything i think, but just change
    > the mobo and the cpu, not sure about the ram, ?

    It currently won't be faster. Until there's a proper release of a 64
    bit Windows OS then it'll run in 32bit compatibility mode.

    --
    Conor

    life, n.: A whim of several billion cells to be you for a while

    Ive got the same setup, NEARLY, expect a Mobile 2500 OCed to 2.5 ghz,
    and 1024 LL ram, soon to get a Radeon 9800 Pro Xtream, and that will
    be my PC for MANY years, till they release some dual core cpus.

    Then ill get a couple of the mobile versions and ill go to town with
    them on a dual board, water cooled or whatever they have then :)

    Do games run slow on your system ? or are you just itching to upgrade
    ?

    See ya.

    On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 22:09:24 +0100, "Ric"
    <news@spamless.infobubble.co.uk> wrote:

    >me!! wrote:
    >> Is it worth upgrading to a amd64 2800+ from a xp3200+?
    >>
    >> Rest of system is
    >>
    >> Audigy 2 zs
    >> PCI freeview card
    >> 768mb pc3200 ram
    >> plextor dvd writer
    >> 2x 80gig hdd ( ide )
    >> radeon 9800 pro
    >>
    >> cheers all
    >>
    >> paul
    >
    >what can't you do with your existing setup?
    >
    >ric

    > Ive got the same setup, NEARLY, expect a Mobile 2500 OCed to 2.5 ghz.....

    Did you run Prime95 and memtest on that setup yet...?

    --
    Regards

    Morgan

    Hard drive noisy....
    www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

    no_spam wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:01:54 GMT, me!! <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >

    >>Is it worth upgrading to a amd64 2800+ from a xp3200+?
    >>

    > I've got a 2800 and K8T800 motherboard, and it's about the same as an
    > XP3100 ;)

    What are you using to 'measure' this?

    > It does run cooler though, and it's memory functions are very good.
    > And since I upgraded from a PIII, I'm not too disappointed.
    >
    > The question though is how well it will overclock with a good Nforce3
    > 250gb motherboard and PC4000 (or better) ram. I suspect it should get
    > up to a AMD64 3100-3200 range easily. Sadly my current motherboard
    > don't overclock too well ;)
    >
    > The 2800 has a multiplier of 9 and it looks like people drop the
    > multiplier when overclocking with higher hypertransport speeds; so it
    > may be a good choice. Prices have dropped.

    Nope :), i can run a game just fine, no lockups stable as :), could
    run memtest, but why iam not that much of a geek :p

    I did 3dmark2001 and 2003 no probs, if i do get errors they are not
    bothering me enough to crash or lockup :)

    Then again i might run memtest tonight and see if their are any errors
    just ten times would be enough.

    Thanks.

    Yes i am a geek, I CAN"T FIGHT IT :)

    "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
    : no_spam wrote:
    : > On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:01:54 GMT, me!! <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    : >
    : >
    : >>Is it worth upgrading to a amd64 2800+ from a xp3200+?
    : >>
    : >>
    : >
    : >
    : > I've got a 2800 and K8T800 motherboard, and it's about the same as an
    : > XP3100 ;)
    :
    : What are you using to 'measure' this?

    The level of bioelectricity in his butt fluff

    HTH

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 18:44:15 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
    wrote:

    >no_spam wrote:
    >> On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:01:54 GMT, me!! <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Is it worth upgrading to a amd64 2800+ from a xp3200+?
    >>>

    >> I've got a 2800 and K8T800 motherboard, and it's about the same as an
    >> XP3100 ;)
    >
    >What are you using to 'measure' this?

    Ok 3100, 3300. Is there a difference in real life ? I'm being
    gracious since the guy already owns a XP3200.

    I suspect some people read Anand's amd64 2800 review and didn't notice
    the athlon XP cpu tested was a XP 3000 running with a 333mhz FSB.
    That's good marketing, eh ?

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2038

    A slightly more comparable review with an XP3200 is at

    http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=33

    The 2800 wins some benchmarks over a xp3200 but loses enough that a
    prudent person wouldn't get overly excited about it. An overclocked
    mobile 2600 would probably smoke them both on a lot of tests.

    >> It does run cooler though, and it's memory functions are very good.
    >> And since I upgraded from a PIII, I'm not too disappointed.
    >>
    >> The question though is how well it will overclock with a good Nforce3
    >> 250gb motherboard and PC4000 (or better) ram. I suspect it should get
    >> up to a AMD64 3100-3200 range easily. Sadly my current motherboard
    >> don't overclock too well ;)
    >>
    >> The 2800 has a multiplier of 9 and it looks like people drop the
    >> multiplier when overclocking with higher hypertransport speeds; so it
    >> may be a good choice. Prices have dropped.

Homebuilt Windows XP Systems