Athlon XP 3200+ to a AMD64 2800+ - Worthwhile upgrade?

Is it worth upgrading to a amd64 2800+ from a xp3200+?

Rest of system is

Audigy 2 zs
PCI freeview card
768mb pc3200 ram
plextor dvd writer
2x 80gig hdd ( ide )
radeon 9800 pro

cheers all

paul

me!! wrote:
> Is it worth upgrading to a amd64 2800+ from a xp3200+?
>
> Rest of system is
>
> Audigy 2 zs
> PCI freeview card
> 768mb pc3200 ram
> plextor dvd writer
> 2x 80gig hdd ( ide )
> radeon 9800 pro
>
> cheers all
>
> paul

what can't you do with your existing setup?

ric

It would be faster, you could keep everything i think, but just change
the mobo and the cpu, not sure about the ram, ?

But you prob wont notice any difference, unless you runa bechmark
program and watch you FPS in games.

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:01:54 GMT, me!! <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Is it worth upgrading to a amd64 2800+ from a xp3200+?
>
>Rest of system is
>
>Audigy 2 zs
>PCI freeview card
>768mb pc3200 ram
>plextor dvd writer
>2x 80gig hdd ( ide )
>radeon 9800 pro
>
>cheers all
>
>paul

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:01:54 GMT, me!! <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Is it worth upgrading to a amd64 2800+ from a xp3200+?

I've got a 2800 and K8T800 motherboard, and it's about the same as an
XP3100 ;)

It does run cooler though, and it's memory functions are very good.
And since I upgraded from a PIII, I'm not too disappointed.

The question though is how well it will overclock with a good Nforce3
250gb motherboard and PC4000 (or better) ram. I suspect it should get
up to a AMD64 3100-3200 range easily. Sadly my current motherboard
don't overclock too well ;)

The 2800 has a multiplier of 9 and it looks like people drop the
multiplier when overclocking with higher hypertransport speeds; so it
may be a good choice. Prices have dropped.

In article <35i5g0pn8mdd4irlgd128s5ko0fidf9ub1@4ax.com>, OCZ Guy
says...

> It would be faster, you could keep everything i think, but just change
> the mobo and the cpu, not sure about the ram, ?

It currently won't be faster. Until there's a proper release of a 64
bit Windows OS then it'll run in 32bit compatibility mode.

--
Conor

life, n.: A whim of several billion cells to be you for a while

Ive got the same setup, NEARLY, expect a Mobile 2500 OCed to 2.5 ghz,
and 1024 LL ram, soon to get a Radeon 9800 Pro Xtream, and that will
be my PC for MANY years, till they release some dual core cpus.

Then ill get a couple of the mobile versions and ill go to town with
them on a dual board, water cooled or whatever they have then :)

Do games run slow on your system ? or are you just itching to upgrade
?

See ya.

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 22:09:24 +0100, "Ric"
<news@spamless.infobubble.co.uk> wrote:

>me!! wrote:
>> Is it worth upgrading to a amd64 2800+ from a xp3200+?
>>
>> Rest of system is
>>
>> Audigy 2 zs
>> PCI freeview card
>> 768mb pc3200 ram
>> plextor dvd writer
>> 2x 80gig hdd ( ide )
>> radeon 9800 pro
>>
>> cheers all
>>
>> paul
>
>what can't you do with your existing setup?
>
>ric

morgan

> Ive got the same setup, NEARLY, expect a Mobile 2500 OCed to 2.5 ghz.....

Did you run Prime95 and memtest on that setup yet...?

--
Regards

Morgan

Hard drive noisy....
www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

no_spam wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:01:54 GMT, me!! <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Is it worth upgrading to a amd64 2800+ from a xp3200+?
>>

> I've got a 2800 and K8T800 motherboard, and it's about the same as an
> XP3100 ;)

What are you using to 'measure' this?

> It does run cooler though, and it's memory functions are very good.
> And since I upgraded from a PIII, I'm not too disappointed.
>
> The question though is how well it will overclock with a good Nforce3
> 250gb motherboard and PC4000 (or better) ram. I suspect it should get
> up to a AMD64 3100-3200 range easily. Sadly my current motherboard
> don't overclock too well ;)
>
> The 2800 has a multiplier of 9 and it looks like people drop the
> multiplier when overclocking with higher hypertransport speeds; so it
> may be a good choice. Prices have dropped.

Nope :), i can run a game just fine, no lockups stable as :), could
run memtest, but why iam not that much of a geek :p

I did 3dmark2001 and 2003 no probs, if i do get errors they are not
bothering me enough to crash or lockup :)

Then again i might run memtest tonight and see if their are any errors
just ten times would be enough.

Thanks.

Yes i am a geek, I CAN"T FIGHT IT :)

"David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
: no_spam wrote:
: > On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:01:54 GMT, me!! <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
: >
: >
: >>Is it worth upgrading to a amd64 2800+ from a xp3200+?
: >>
: >>
: >
: >
: > I've got a 2800 and K8T800 motherboard, and it's about the same as an
: > XP3100 ;)
:
: What are you using to 'measure' this?

The level of bioelectricity in his butt fluff

HTH

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 18:44:15 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
wrote:

>no_spam wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:01:54 GMT, me!! <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>>>Is it worth upgrading to a amd64 2800+ from a xp3200+?
>>>

>> I've got a 2800 and K8T800 motherboard, and it's about the same as an
>> XP3100 ;)
>
>What are you using to 'measure' this?

Ok 3100, 3300. Is there a difference in real life ? I'm being
gracious since the guy already owns a XP3200.

I suspect some people read Anand's amd64 2800 review and didn't notice
the athlon XP cpu tested was a XP 3000 running with a 333mhz FSB.
That's good marketing, eh ?

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2038

A slightly more comparable review with an XP3200 is at

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=33

The 2800 wins some benchmarks over a xp3200 but loses enough that a
prudent person wouldn't get overly excited about it. An overclocked
mobile 2600 would probably smoke them both on a lot of tests.