400FSB Intel CPUs

Malcolm

I'm putting together a low cost system based on a Shuttle MB that I've got that
will only take 400FSB parts, but having a lot of trouble finding source of
Pentium 4s with this bus speed. Everyone seems to only sell 800MHz or maybe
533MHz parts these days.

I'm a bit hesitant about getting anything off ebay after getting my fingers
burnt a couple of times with faulty parts, but do you think I should risk ebay
again to get a (probably 2nd hand) P4 or should I go for a Celeron 2.4GHz which
is readily available? What's the performance hit like for the 2.4G Celeron with
its 128K L2 cache compared to say the 1.8GHz (or better) P4 with a 512K cache.

Malcolm (Fantrace).

Be happy.

http://www.pricewatch.com/h/prc.aspx?i=3&a=4674&f=1

"Malcolm" <fantrace@aol.comantispam> wrote in message
> I'm putting together a low cost system based on a Shuttle MB that I've got
that
> will only take 400FSB parts, but having a lot of trouble finding source of
> Pentium 4s with this bus speed. Everyone seems to only sell 800MHz or
maybe
> 533MHz parts these days.
>
> I'm a bit hesitant about getting anything off ebay after getting my
fingers
> burnt a couple of times with faulty parts, but do you think I should risk
ebay
> again to get a (probably 2nd hand) P4 or should I go for a Celeron 2.4GHz
which
> is readily available? What's the performance hit like for the 2.4G Celeron
with
> its 128K L2 cache compared to say the 1.8GHz (or better) P4 with a 512K
cache.

> Malcolm (Fantrace).
>
> Be happy.

TRENDING THREADS