Moving info. from old hard drive to new hard drive

I have purchased a new hard drive that I intend to use as my C:\ drive.
Could someone please advise me the best method to transfer my current C:
drive's info., to include the OS to the new drive? I'm open for any advice
or documentation that I may follow. My OS is XP Pro.

I've reviewed the XP file and settings transfer wizard, but I don't know if
that's the route I want to go.
6 answers Last reply
More about moving info hard drive hard drive

    On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 14:05:34 -0500, "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote:

    >I have purchased a new hard drive that I intend to use as my C:\ drive.
    >Could someone please advise me the best method to transfer my current C:
    >drive's info., to include the OS to the new drive? I'm open for any advice
    >or documentation that I may follow. My OS is XP Pro.
    >
    >I've reviewed the XP file and settings transfer wizard, but I don't know if
    >that's the route I want to go.

    Depending on the hard drive you purchased, you may have a utility that
    allows you to copy your old hard drive right on over to the new hard
    drive, thus allowing you to use the new hard drive as your main system
    drive.

    The steps are usually fairly easy to follow (disclaimer, I may have
    omitted some fairly important steps):

    1. Install new hard drive in your system with the jumper setting of
    cable select or slave

    2. Boot from the hard drive utility diskette, following instructions
    on how to set up your new drive (format, copy information from old,
    etc.).

    3. After copy process, power down the machine, swap jumper
    settings/change positions on the cable, (remove old hard drive, etc.)

    4. Your new hard drive should be ready for use, and hopefully Windows
    XP didn't wig out on you causing you to reactivate, or do some other
    strange thing.

    Now, if you didn't get a hard drive utility diskette/CD ROM that
    allows you to perform the above, you either need to use Drive Image,
    Ghost, True Image, or some other program to copy the old hard drive
    contents over to the new, following essentially the same steps noted
    above.

    Lastly, if you are using Serial ATA hard drives, life can be a tad bit
    more tricky as the only program I know that works fairly well with the
    SATA interface is Drive Image 2002, and that version is a tad bit rare
    since Symantec purchased the product from Powerquest.

    Hope that helped,
    Chris

    "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message
    > I have purchased a new hard drive that I intend to use as my C:\ drive.
    > Could someone please advise me the best method to transfer my current C:
    > drive's info., to include the OS to the new drive? I'm open for any advice
    > or documentation that I may follow. My OS is XP Pro.
    >
    > I've reviewed the XP file and settings transfer wizard, but I don't know
    if
    > that's the route I want to go.

    The XP wizard will do nothing to move your disk contents from one drive to
    another and will certainly not move the OS. You need a cloning tool to do
    what you want. There are several free ones out there such as
    http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlpciclone.html . I've never used that one
    but have had good success with EZ Gig II from Apricorn which came along with
    a bit of hardware for cloning one notebook drive to another. Just doing a
    Google search should turn up some ideas. Start searching for "freeware
    transfer drive contents" and refine from there.
    --
    John McGaw
    [Knoxville, TN, USA]

    Check any CD's that came with motherboards you might have, as they often
    include Symantec Ghost.
    I have ghosted dozens of drives, never had a problem. It runs in DOS so you
    will need a boot disk of some kind, floppy or Win98 CD etc
    P.S. if you are using NTFS you need ghost => 2003.

    "Chris" <chris@idontlikeusingmyrealemail.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 14:05:34 -0500, "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote:
    >
    > >I have purchased a new hard drive that I intend to use as my C:\ drive.
    > >Could someone please advise me the best method to transfer my current C:
    > >drive's info., to include the OS to the new drive? I'm open for any
    advice
    > >or documentation that I may follow. My OS is XP Pro.
    > >
    > >I've reviewed the XP file and settings transfer wizard, but I don't know
    if
    > >that's the route I want to go.
    > >

    > Depending on the hard drive you purchased, you may have a utility that
    > allows you to copy your old hard drive right on over to the new hard
    > drive, thus allowing you to use the new hard drive as your main system
    > drive.
    >
    > The steps are usually fairly easy to follow (disclaimer, I may have
    > omitted some fairly important steps):
    >
    > 1. Install new hard drive in your system with the jumper setting of
    > cable select or slave
    >
    > 2. Boot from the hard drive utility diskette, following instructions
    > on how to set up your new drive (format, copy information from old,
    > etc.).
    >
    > 3. After copy process, power down the machine, swap jumper
    > settings/change positions on the cable, (remove old hard drive, etc.)
    >
    > 4. Your new hard drive should be ready for use, and hopefully Windows
    > XP didn't wig out on you causing you to reactivate, or do some other
    > strange thing.
    >
    > Now, if you didn't get a hard drive utility diskette/CD ROM that
    > allows you to perform the above, you either need to use Drive Image,
    > Ghost, True Image, or some other program to copy the old hard drive
    > contents over to the new, following essentially the same steps noted
    > above.
    >
    > Lastly, if you are using Serial ATA hard drives, life can be a tad bit
    > more tricky as the only program I know that works fairly well with the
    > SATA interface is Drive Image 2002, and that version is a tad bit rare
    > since Symantec purchased the product from Powerquest.
    >
    > Hope that helped,
    > Chris

    Rob,
    seagate , maxtor and western digital all offer tools to
    partition,format and copy the contents of your old drive to the new .
    i used maxtors maxblast for windows to copy my 6 gb bigfoot to my new
    120 gb western digital . i have used wd lifeguard in the past and it
    works about the same . copied everything including my windows 98 .
    hope this helps,
    terry

    ==============

    Sat, 24 Jul 2004 14:05:34 -0500: written by "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net>:

    >I have purchased a new hard drive that I intend to use as my C:\ drive.
    >Could someone please advise me the best method to transfer my current C:
    >drive's info., to include the OS to the new drive? I'm open for any advice
    >or documentation that I may follow. My OS is XP Pro.
    >
    >I've reviewed the XP file and settings transfer wizard, but I don't know if
    >that's the route I want to go.

    This was posted April 15, 2004 in alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt by Jim. I
    tried it and it works great.

    - - - Begin Quote - - -

    Here's one way, and it's FREE:

    1) Download BootIt NG ( http://www.bootitng.com ). Unzip, execute
    bootitng.exe, and create the floppy disk (or ISO and burn it, your
    choice).
    Set aside for now.

    2) Shutdown PC and move old HD to either slave on primary IDE channel,
    or
    primary on secondary IDE channel. Just so long as it becomes the
    subordinate HD (to the new HD).

    3) Boot the BootIt NG floppy (or CD). When the Welcome screen appears,
    hit
    Cancel (to abort the install). Follow the prompts to the desktop, then
    select Partition Work.

    4) Your new HD should be listed as HD0 (and verifiable as such since it
    has
    no partitions). The old HD should be HD1, and all partitions listed
    when
    selected. Simply Copy and Paste your existing partition(s), one by one,
    from HD1 (the old HD) to HD0 (the new HD). Following the Copy of each
    partition, feel free to Resize it (most people are moving to larger HDs,
    so
    this is to be expected).

    5) Once all partitions are copied, make sure HD0 (the new HD) is
    selected
    and hit View MBR. Make sure the bootable partition is listed first
    *and*
    marked active (it normally is, but if not, do so now, manually). Hit
    Std
    MBR, hit Apply, then Close to exit Partition Work. Remove the floppy/CD
    and
    shutdown.

    6) Remove the *old* HD, reboot, and you'll be running off the new HD!

    When XP reloads, it will probably want to reboot (the new HD will be
    seen as
    a new device). Rebooting is not really necessary, but do so if you
    wish. I
    recommend keeping the old HD off the system and untouched for a while
    until
    you feel comfortable that all is well with the new drive. Consider it
    your
    backup! If anything goes wrong, you can always start the whole process
    over
    and try again. The procedures I've outlined are NON-DESTRUCTIVE to your
    original HD and data! Once you feel confident all is OK, you can add
    the
    old HD back, clean it up (use BootIt NG again, if you like), and use it
    for
    data storage, perhaps.

    HTH

    Jim

    - - - End Quote - - -

    On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 14:05:34 -0500, "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote:

    >I have purchased a new hard drive that I intend to use as my C:\ drive.
    >Could someone please advise me the best method to transfer my current C:
    >drive's info., to include the OS to the new drive? I'm open for any advice
    >or documentation that I may follow. My OS is XP Pro.
    >
    >I've reviewed the XP file and settings transfer wizard, but I don't know if
    >that's the route I want to go.

    As for the cloning, get a free trial of BootitNG. With new drive as slave,
    boot the BootitNG floppy, cancel install, go into maintenance/partition
    work, and there's a cloning/drive copy option. Then swap the disks,
    disconnect the old one so that you boot up w/ only the new disk and you
    should be fine, avoiding having the wrong drive letter (PITA).

    Afterwards you can also use BootitNG to resize the clusters before
    converting to NTFS if you want to.

    W/ Ghost, use the option flags -FDSP.

Homebuilt Hard Drives Windows XP Systems