CD drive no longer shows up

On Asus P4GE-V with w2k OS, a Lite On cd r/w just stopped showing up.
It was the only drive on the secondary IDE connector. I put the drive in an
other puter and it shows fine. In my Asus, it ejects and has power. I
replaced
ribbon cable with known good and tried changing jumper from cs to master.
I of course uninstalled the drivers from Device Mgr, but as soon as the
computer
turns on it rebuilds the driver to no avail. The drive doesn't show in the
BIOS
either so it is unusable to boot from.
I have done several virus scans with no show of problems.
What else can I try?
TIA

---
More about drive longer shows

    'IDE set to auto detect?

    have you tried resetting the cmos?

    "Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > On Asus P4GE-V with w2k OS, a Lite On cd r/w just stopped showing
    up.
    > It was the only drive on the secondary IDE connector. I put the
    drive in an
    > other puter and it shows fine. In my Asus, it ejects and has power.
    > replaced
    > ribbon cable with known good and tried changing jumper from cs to
    master.
    > I of course uninstalled the drivers from Device Mgr, but as soon as
    the
    > computer
    > turns on it rebuilds the driver to no avail. The drive doesn't show
    in the
    > BIOS
    > either so it is unusable to boot from.
    > I have done several virus scans with no show of problems.
    > What else can I try?
    > TIA
    >

    > ---

    see if it runs on the primary ide as a slave drive

    "Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    On Asus P4GE-V with w2k OS, a Lite On cd r/w just stopped showing up.
    It was the only drive on the secondary IDE connector. I put the drive in an
    other puter and it shows fine. In my Asus, it ejects and has power. I
    replaced
    ribbon cable with known good and tried changing jumper from cs to master.
    I of course uninstalled the drivers from Device Mgr, but as soon as the
    computer
    turns on it rebuilds the driver to no avail. The drive doesn't show in the
    BIOS
    either so it is unusable to boot from.
    I have done several virus scans with no show of problems.
    What else can I try?
    TIA

    ---

    That's a good idea. I currently have two harddrives on the primary but I
    can
    rearrange things and that is the next easiest step I guess. Thanks for the
    idea.

    "Andrew" <Andrew@aserversomewhere.calm> wrote in message
    > see if it runs on the primary ide as a slave drive
    >
    > "Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > On Asus P4GE-V with w2k OS, a Lite On cd r/w just stopped showing up.
    > It was the only drive on the secondary IDE connector. I put the drive in
    an
    > other puter and it shows fine. In my Asus, it ejects and has power. I
    > replaced
    > ribbon cable with known good and tried changing jumper from cs to master.
    > I of course uninstalled the drivers from Device Mgr, but as soon as the
    > computer
    > turns on it rebuilds the driver to no avail. The drive doesn't show in
    the
    > BIOS
    > either so it is unusable to boot from.
    > I have done several virus scans with no show of problems.
    > What else can I try?
    > TIA
    >

    > ---

    ---

    On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 22:37:36 -0400, "Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net>
    wrote:
    <Begin Snip>
    >That's a good idea. I currently have two harddrives on the primary but I
    >can
    >rearrange things and that is the next easiest step I guess. Thanks for the
    >idea.

    <End Snip>

    This is just a thought, but, I wonder if your Secondary IDE went out?
    I know the chances of this happening should be somewhere between slim
    and none, but, anything "could" happen. The only reason I am thinking
    this is because you said that the drive isn't even recognized in the
    BIOS. If it isn't recognized in the MB Bios, that could spell
    trouble.

    I guess we shall see after you rearrange things in the machine.

    It doesn't show as slave on primary - and yet it does show and work in
    another computer.

    "Andrew" <Andrew@aserversomewhere.calm> wrote in message
    > see if it runs on the primary ide as a slave drive
    >
    > "Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > On Asus P4GE-V with w2k OS, a Lite On cd r/w just stopped showing up.
    > It was the only drive on the secondary IDE connector. I put the drive in
    an
    > other puter and it shows fine. In my Asus, it ejects and has power. I
    > replaced
    > ribbon cable with known good and tried changing jumper from cs to master.
    > I of course uninstalled the drivers from Device Mgr, but as soon as the
    > computer
    > turns on it rebuilds the driver to no avail. The drive doesn't show in
    the
    > BIOS
    > either so it is unusable to boot from.
    > I have done several virus scans with no show of problems.
    > What else can I try?
    > TIA
    >

    > ---

    ---

    IDE is set to auto detect. Remember, it was working yesterday and today it
    is not.
    I haven't tried resetting the cmos. How do I do that??
    Thanks JAD!

    "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
    > 'IDE set to auto detect?
    >
    > have you tried resetting the cmos?
    >

    > "Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > > On Asus P4GE-V with w2k OS, a Lite On cd r/w just stopped showing
    > up.
    > > It was the only drive on the secondary IDE connector. I put the
    > drive in an
    > > other puter and it shows fine. In my Asus, it ejects and has power.
    > > replaced
    > > ribbon cable with known good and tried changing jumper from cs to
    > master.
    > > I of course uninstalled the drivers from Device Mgr, but as soon as
    > the
    > > computer
    > > turns on it rebuilds the driver to no avail. The drive doesn't show
    > in the
    > > BIOS
    > > either so it is unusable to boot from.
    > > I have done several virus scans with no show of problems.
    > > What else can I try?
    > > TIA
    > >

    > > ---

    ---

    My next thought is,,
    See how much you can get for it on Ebay <s>

    It doesn't show as slave on primary - and yet it does show and work in
    another computer.

    "Andrew" <Andrew@aserversomewhere.calm> wrote in message
    > see if it runs on the primary ide as a slave drive
    >
    > "Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > On Asus P4GE-V with w2k OS, a Lite On cd r/w just stopped showing up.
    > It was the only drive on the secondary IDE connector. I put the drive in
    an
    > other puter and it shows fine. In my Asus, it ejects and has power. I
    > replaced
    > ribbon cable with known good and tried changing jumper from cs to master.
    > I of course uninstalled the drivers from Device Mgr, but as soon as the
    > computer
    > turns on it rebuilds the driver to no avail. The drive doesn't show in
    the
    > BIOS
    > either so it is unusable to boot from.
    > I have done several virus scans with no show of problems.
    > What else can I try?
    > TIA
    >

    > ---

    ---

    Correction. It still doesn't show in My Computer but it now shows in the
    BIOS. I even
    used the OS boot cd to boot and do a fast repair, but still no luck. Now
    what??
    Thanks to all for your help!!!!

    > IDE is set to auto detect. Remember, it was working yesterday and today
    it
    > is not.
    > I haven't tried resetting the cmos. How do I do that??
    > Thanks JAD!
    >

    > "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
    > > 'IDE set to auto detect?
    > >
    > > have you tried resetting the cmos?
    > >

    > > "Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > > > On Asus P4GE-V with w2k OS, a Lite On cd r/w just stopped showing
    > > up.
    > > > It was the only drive on the secondary IDE connector. I put the
    > > drive in an
    > > > other puter and it shows fine. In my Asus, it ejects and has power.
    > > > replaced
    > > > ribbon cable with known good and tried changing jumper from cs to
    > > master.
    > > > I of course uninstalled the drivers from Device Mgr, but as soon as
    > > the
    > > > computer
    > > > turns on it rebuilds the driver to no avail. The drive doesn't show
    > > in the
    > > > BIOS
    > > > either so it is unusable to boot from.
    > > > I have done several virus scans with no show of problems.
    > > > What else can I try?
    > > > TIA
    > > >

    > > > ---
    > > >

    > ---

    ---

    I haven't tested my other harddrive on the secondary yet to see if it shows.
    But it is now
    late and I have to get up very early. So I will make that test tomorrow.
    I'll let you know.
    Obviously, that will tell us if the secondary IDE is working.

    > My next thought is,,
    > See how much you can get for it on Ebay <s>
    >

    > "Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > It doesn't show as slave on primary - and yet it does show and work in
    > another computer.
    >

    > "Andrew" <Andrew@aserversomewhere.calm> wrote in message
    > > see if it runs on the primary ide as a slave drive
    > >
    > > "Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > > On Asus P4GE-V with w2k OS, a Lite On cd r/w just stopped showing up.
    > > It was the only drive on the secondary IDE connector. I put the drive
    in
    > an
    > > other puter and it shows fine. In my Asus, it ejects and has power. I
    > > replaced
    > > ribbon cable with known good and tried changing jumper from cs to
    master.
    > > I of course uninstalled the drivers from Device Mgr, but as soon as the
    > > computer
    > > turns on it rebuilds the driver to no avail. The drive doesn't show in
    > the
    > > BIOS
    > > either so it is unusable to boot from.
    > > I have done several virus scans with no show of problems.
    > > What else can I try?
    > > TIA
    > >

    > > ---
    > >

    > ---

    ---

    Try TweakUI
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx it
    can make drives appear and disappear in windows.

    > Correction. It still doesn't show in My Computer but it now shows in the
    > BIOS. I even
    > used the OS boot cd to boot and do a fast repair, but still no luck. Now
    > what??
    > Thanks to all for your help!!!!
    >

    > "Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > > IDE is set to auto detect. Remember, it was working yesterday and today
    > it
    > > is not.
    > > I haven't tried resetting the cmos. How do I do that??
    > > Thanks JAD!
    > >

    > > "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > 'IDE set to auto detect?
    > > >
    > > > have you tried resetting the cmos?
    > > >

    > > > "Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > > > up.
    > > > drive in an
    > > > master.
    > > > the
    > > > in the

    > > ---
    > >

    > ---

    Have you recently installed nero after having used adaptec/roxio to burn
    CDs.

    If so, check on the nero site for help as it is a registry entry that is
    screwing your system up.

    Really easy to fix, delete on registry entry.

    the_GNOME

    "Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > On Asus P4GE-V with w2k OS, a Lite On cd r/w just stopped showing up.
    > It was the only drive on the secondary IDE connector. I put the drive in
    an
    > other puter and it shows fine. In my Asus, it ejects and has power. I
    > replaced
    > ribbon cable with known good and tried changing jumper from cs to master.
    > I of course uninstalled the drivers from Device Mgr, but as soon as the
    > computer
    > turns on it rebuilds the driver to no avail. The drive doesn't show in
    the
    > BIOS
    > either so it is unusable to boot from.
    > I have done several virus scans with no show of problems.
    > What else can I try?
    > TIA
    >

    > ---

    I got tweak ui and all the drives are checked. So it isn't that.

    "Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote in message
    > Try TweakUI
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx it
    > can make drives appear and disappear in windows.

    ---

    That was it Gnome!!!. I got a driver conflict and reg cleaner from Nero and
    much to my
    amazement, it worked. It removed 5 conflicts (I have no idea where they
    came from).
    The items removed were CDRAL.DLL, CDR4_2K.SYS, CDRALW2K.SYS,
    Service:CDR_2K, and Service:CDRALW2K. Then I ran the reg cleaner and it
    fixed
    an error (didn't say what). Presto, magico, done. Thanks Gnome!!!

    "the gnome" <news-replies@at.copperstream.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Have you recently installed nero after having used adaptec/roxio to burn
    > CDs.
    >
    > If so, check on the nero site for help as it is a registry entry that is
    > screwing your system up.
    >
    > Really easy to fix, delete on registry entry.

    ---

Homebuilt Systems