Good Source for Inkjet ink and Paper Information?

I'm about to buy a new home inkjet printer (probably Canon MP730).
I'd like to find a reasonably unbaised source of "consumable"
evaluations and recommendations. I'd appreciate suggestions of web
sites that provide both general and specific advice.

From what I've read it seems as though the manufacturer's inks are
generally advisable, particularly if I'm interested in longer life for
the prints and minimal clogging problems - I'm referencing a PCWorld
article on this.

I haven't found anybody making equivlaent recommendations about
papers. Are third-party papers such as those from Red River Papers in
fact as good or am I wise to stick with the printer manufacturer?

Thanks

Jim Mitchell wrote:
> I'm about to buy a new home inkjet printer (probably Canon MP730).
> I'd like to find a reasonably unbaised source of "consumable"
> evaluations and recommendations. I'd appreciate suggestions of web
> sites that provide both general and specific advice.
>
> From what I've read it seems as though the manufacturer's inks are
> generally advisable, particularly if I'm interested in longer life for
> the prints and minimal clogging problems - I'm referencing a PCWorld
> article on this.
>
> I haven't found anybody making equivlaent recommendations about
> papers. Are third-party papers such as those from Red River Papers in
> fact as good or am I wise to stick with the printer manufacturer?

I really don't worry or waste my time finding unbiased reviews or
listening to manufacturers suggestions. How would I possibly know
an unbiased review if I saw one ;-).

What it comes down to is, printers are basically cheaper than ink
these days. I use high quality compatible bulk inks, not cheap
compatible cartridges (there's a difference!) because, as far as I can
tell in side by side prints, my printouts are identical to ones made
with brand inks. And because I refuse to pay about $125 CDN for 5
genuine cartridges when I can get the same printed result with a
complete home refill costing me about $5.

Longer lasting prints? Haven't noticed any difference in fading.

Worried about clogs?... No, never had any with Canon. Epson, yes,
but it clogged with Epson inks too. Last year I estimate I saved well
over a $1000 by not buying genuine cartridges. With the money I DIDN'T
spend I bought a new printer instead and have enough ink on hand for
about two years worth of printing. I print out full page (8.5 x 11) test
photo prints at the highest quality. It's not costing me anything -
my dollar store was selling 10 full page sheets high gloss for $1.00!

Paper?... Lots of quality paper available in stores and eBay. I try
many different sources, some work better than others. No brand, not
even Canon paper is perfect. Some give identical results to Canon at
a fraction of the price. Trouble is, each printer model gives different
results with different papers. So don't expect to hear any names of
absolute true best papers, there isn't any. Don't even ask me. Simply
try, try, try...

Yes, from what I've read, Red River sells papers every bit as good as
Canon's. But for me in Canada, shipping, customs fees and currency
exchange cancel any savings benefits. I've been lucky enough to find
really affordable paper I liked on eBay, especially if the seller
was in Canada. From past bad experience with some trolls, just looking
for trouble, I'll let you find your own eBay sellers. But for all my ink
I always buy from atlanticinkjet.com

-Taliesyn