Follow up on Moving info. from old hard drive to new hard ..

First I'm most grateful for all the advice submitted by you folks. Thank you
much......

Now for my bad news, my new hard drive is a Western Digital, 10,000 rpm
Raptor. I cannot seem to find a place to plug it in on my motherboard. The
hard drive is OEM and did not have any literature with it. It appears the
connection is a serial connection. Which I do not have a serial cable on the
motherboard to hook up to. In a nutshell I don't even know if my motherboard
supports this newest technology or if perhaps I just need a particular cable
or....... My motherboard is an Intel(R) Desktop Boards - D850EMV2
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/mv2/

I would certainly welcome any further advice or ideas. As before, thanks
again and take care....Rob
5 answers Last reply
More about follow moving info hard drive hard

    >First I'm most grateful for all the advice submitted by you folks. Thank you
    >much......
    >
    >Now for my bad news, my new hard drive is a Western Digital, 10,000 rpm
    >Raptor. I cannot seem to find a place to plug it in on my motherboard. The
    >hard drive is OEM and did not have any literature with it. It appears the
    >connection is a serial connection. Which I do not have a serial cable on the
    >motherboard to hook up to. In a nutshell I don't even know if my motherboard
    >supports this newest technology or if perhaps I just need a particular cable
    >or....... My motherboard is an Intel(R) Desktop Boards - D850EMV2
    >http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/mv2/
    >
    >I would certainly welcome any further advice or ideas. As before, thanks
    >again and take care....Rob

    Get a serial to parallel ATA adapter at any decent PC store.

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 13:44:04 -0500, Rob <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote:

    > First I'm most grateful for all the advice submitted by you folks. Thank
    > you
    > much......
    >
    > Now for my bad news, my new hard drive is a Western Digital, 10,000 rpm
    > Raptor. I cannot seem to find a place to plug it in on my motherboard.
    > The
    > hard drive is OEM and did not have any literature with it. It appears the
    > connection is a serial connection. Which I do not have a serial cable on
    > the
    > motherboard to hook up to. In a nutshell I don't even know if my
    > motherboard
    > supports this newest technology or if perhaps I just need a particular
    > cable
    > or....... My motherboard is an Intel(R) Desktop Boards - D850EMV2
    > http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/mv2/
    >
    > I would certainly welcome any further advice or ideas. As before, thanks
    > again and take care....Rob

    Your motherboard doesn't support that drive, you need a board that
    supports Serial ATA (SATA). You will also need a special cable, but this
    should come with a new motherboard anyway (hopefully)

    Your motherboard will NOT take a serial harddrive. You will have to either
    upgrade your motherboard to a newer one, or get a PCI SATA card as an
    add-on.

    --
    DaveW

    "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message
    > First I'm most grateful for all the advice submitted by you folks. Thank
    you
    > much......
    >
    > Now for my bad news, my new hard drive is a Western Digital, 10,000 rpm
    > Raptor. I cannot seem to find a place to plug it in on my motherboard. The
    > hard drive is OEM and did not have any literature with it. It appears the
    > connection is a serial connection. Which I do not have a serial cable on
    the
    > motherboard to hook up to. In a nutshell I don't even know if my
    motherboard
    > supports this newest technology or if perhaps I just need a particular
    cable
    > or....... My motherboard is an Intel(R) Desktop Boards - D850EMV2
    > http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/mv2/
    >
    > I would certainly welcome any further advice or ideas. As before, thanks
    > again and take care....Rob

    Thanks Dave.

    If I used a PCI to SATA card, I would still need a cable to connect from the
    card to the hdd, wouldn't I?

    Is there any performance loss by using this configuration as opposed to
    having the motherboard that supports SATA without any add ons, etc?

    Thank you again my friends, Rob.

    > Your motherboard will NOT take a serial harddrive. You will have to
    either
    > upgrade your motherboard to a newer one, or get a PCI SATA card as an
    > add-on.
    >
    > --
    > DaveW
    >

    > "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message
    > > First I'm most grateful for all the advice submitted by you folks. Thank
    > you
    > > much......
    > >
    > > Now for my bad news, my new hard drive is a Western Digital, 10,000 rpm
    > > Raptor. I cannot seem to find a place to plug it in on my motherboard.
    The
    > > hard drive is OEM and did not have any literature with it. It appears
    the
    > > connection is a serial connection. Which I do not have a serial cable on
    > the
    > > motherboard to hook up to. In a nutshell I don't even know if my
    > motherboard
    > > supports this newest technology or if perhaps I just need a particular
    > cable
    > > or....... My motherboard is an Intel(R) Desktop Boards - D850EMV2
    > > http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/mv2/
    > >
    > > I would certainly welcome any further advice or ideas. As before, thanks
    > > again and take care....Rob

Homebuilt Hard Drives Motherboards Systems