Ping Arthur Entlich, lint from paper towels, cotton swabs,..

On the net and in your manual I read about using such items as paper
towels and cotton swabs in cleaning print heads. In a few cases you
recommend either a high quality paper towel or a blue shop towel and
in another case a foam rubber cosmetic swab. Can lint be a problem?
Are the shop towels lint-free or nearly so? Can I use foam rubber
cosmetic swabs exclusively? Also, I have a box of Kimwipes (KimMark
disposable wipers) could those be used? Should I drink some hops tea,
relax, and then "just do it" as they say in the Nike commercials?
Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.

Hi Bill,

All reasonable questions.

Regarding paper towels:

As you know, paper towels come in many qualities, from generic, abrasive
ones that look like they are made from chipped wood to some that are
silky smooth, from some that turn into a mass of fibers on the first
hint of water, to the type that can hold a small child even when wet ;-)

Since you will be wetting the paper or shop towels and then rubbing the
head surface on them to remove the dried ink accumulation, you neither
want paper towels which will be abrasive or which will fall apart.

That is why I suggest the blue disposable shop towels, if you can find
them. They are somewhat more costly than paper types, BUT, they are
very durable, can barely be torn (you really need to use a scissors to
cut them) they are very absorbent and non-abrasive. They are so
durable, you can literally rinse them and reuse them if you are so inclined.

Second best is a high quality type. Usually, these are name brand ones
that boast their strength in their ads. Ones that tend to fall apart
when wet may very well leave part of them under the head, and that is
not a pretty sight.

Regarding cotton buds or swabs:

My experience with many of these has been they shed fibers of cotton or
nylon wool and this can contaminate things, and although I use them, I
make sure they are brands that hold together, and that they are wet
enough not to begin to shed and unravel. This can become a real problem
is you are cleaning a rubberized wheel while the printer is on or placed
in motion to clean the full surface and the fibers get pulled into the
printer. The foam cosmetic ones are usually more durable and don't tend
to unravel.

So, in both cases, the recommendations have a purpose, but there is no
quick and fast rule. The poorer quality cleaning products may lead to
further complications. In all cases, the risks involved exist and you
can choose to take them or not.

Art

Bill Haught wrote:

> On the net and in your manual I read about using such items as paper
> towels and cotton swabs in cleaning print heads. In a few cases you
> recommend either a high quality paper towel or a blue shop towel and
> in another case a foam rubber cosmetic swab. Can lint be a problem?
> Are the shop towels lint-free or nearly so? Can I use foam rubber
> cosmetic swabs exclusively? Also, I have a box of Kimwipes (KimMark
> disposable wipers) could those be used? Should I drink some hops tea,
> relax, and then "just do it" as they say in the Nike commercials?
> Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.

Cotton swabs are used extensively TV and Audio recording studios for
cleaning tape heads and rollers. I have some I bought at an Electronics
store. They are mounted on long wooden stems, and are very durable,
long lasting and don't leave fibers.

Bob

"Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
> [...]
| quick and fast rule. The poorer quality cleaning products may lead to
| further complications. In all cases, the risks involved exist and you
| can choose to take them or not.
|
| Art
|

| Bill Haught wrote:
|
| > On the net and in your manual I read about using such items as paper
| > towels and cotton swabs in cleaning print heads. In a few cases you
| > recommend either a high quality paper towel or a blue shop towel and
| > in another case a foam rubber cosmetic swab. Can lint be a problem?
| > Are the shop towels lint-free or nearly so? Can I use foam rubber
| > cosmetic swabs exclusively? Also, I have a box of Kimwipes (KimMark
| > disposable wipers) could those be used? Should I drink some hops
tea,
| > relax, and then "just do it" as they say in the Nike commercials?

Thanks for the reply, Arthur. By the way, the Kimwipes I mention seem
to be similar to coffee filters and toilet paper, except that they are
as thin as tp but more course with visible holes. For some
applicaions they may be better than paper towels and some toilet
papers (less lint as long as you don't stess them too much) so I guess
in this case I need something stronger.

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Arthur Entlich wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> All reasonable questions.
>
> Regarding paper towels:
>
> As you know, paper towels come in many qualities, from generic, abrasive
> ones that look like they are made from chipped wood to some that are
> silky smooth, from some that turn into a mass of fibers on the first
> hint of water, to the type that can hold a small child even when wet ;-)
>
> Since you will be wetting the paper or shop towels and then rubbing the
> head surface on them to remove the dried ink accumulation, you neither
> want paper towels which will be abrasive or which will fall apart.
>
> That is why I suggest the blue disposable shop towels, if you can find
> them. They are somewhat more costly than paper types, BUT, they are
> very durable, can barely be torn (you really need to use a scissors to
> cut them) they are very absorbent and non-abrasive. They are so
> durable, you can literally rinse them and reuse them if you are so
> inclined.
>
> Second best is a high quality type. Usually, these are name brand ones
> that boast their strength in their ads. Ones that tend to fall apart
> when wet may very well leave part of them under the head, and that is
> not a pretty sight.
>
> Regarding cotton buds or swabs:
>
> My experience with many of these has been they shed fibers of cotton or
> nylon wool and this can contaminate things, and although I use them, I
> make sure they are brands that hold together, and that they are wet
> enough not to begin to shed and unravel. This can become a real problem
> is you are cleaning a rubberized wheel while the printer is on or placed
> in motion to clean the full surface and the fibers get pulled into the
> printer. The foam cosmetic ones are usually more durable and don't tend
> to unravel.
>
> So, in both cases, the recommendations have a purpose, but there is no
> quick and fast rule. The poorer quality cleaning products may lead to
> further complications. In all cases, the risks involved exist and you
> can choose to take them or not.
>
> Art

If you want a cotton wipe thats good why not try Eclipse optical
cleaning system this contains a solution of alcohol 2 oz and 10 wipes
4" sq. lint free etc - more details here at BH Photo.

<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=B9HWmsLscJ!-785234280?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=127525&is=REG>

watch the wrap!

It may solve all of the above.

rm

> Bill Haught wrote:
>
>> On the net and in your manual I read about using such items as paper
>> towels and cotton swabs in cleaning print heads. In a few cases you
>> recommend either a high quality paper towel or a blue shop towel and
>> in another case a foam rubber cosmetic swab. Can lint be a problem?
>> Are the shop towels lint-free or nearly so? Can I use foam rubber
>> cosmetic swabs exclusively? Also, I have a box of Kimwipes (KimMark
>> disposable wipers) could those be used? Should I drink some hops tea,
>> relax, and then "just do it" as they say in the Nike commercials?
>> Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.

Thanks for this further clarification. I do have and use some of this
type myself, and they do seem to be more durable and reliable (better
glue, too).

Art