IDE to Serial ATA Bridge - how can I use 1 IDE drive and 1..

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 28, 2004 4:15:48 PM

I recently purchased a WD Raptor Serial ATA drive. My Intel motherboard does
not support the serial drive, so I had to purchase an adapter that would
allow me to use the serial drive. The packaging states very plainly that you
can use an IDE drive and a serial drive with the adapter. But, the adapter
has to be plugged in to an IDE slot on the motherboard and a serial cable is
then used from the adapter to the serial hard drive. I can't figure out how
in the world I can do that and still use my existing IDE drive. If I use the
slot for the serial drive there is no where to plug in the cable of the IDE
hard drive. Does anyone have an idea of what I need to do? Other than scrap
the whole computer and start over, LOL.

Many thanks in advance, Rob.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
July 28, 2004 9:37:25 PM

"Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message news:bbRNc.4$ML1.2@okepread01...
> I recently purchased a WD Raptor Serial ATA drive. My Intel motherboard
does
> not support the serial drive, so I had to purchase an adapter that would
> allow me to use the serial drive. The packaging states very plainly that
you
> can use an IDE drive and a serial drive with the adapter. But, the adapter
> has to be plugged in to an IDE slot on the motherboard and a serial cable
is
> then used from the adapter to the serial hard drive. I can't figure out
how
> in the world I can do that and still use my existing IDE drive. If I use
the
> slot for the serial drive there is no where to plug in the cable of the
IDE
> hard drive. Does anyone have an idea of what I need to do? Other than
scrap
> the whole computer and start over, LOL.
>
> Many thanks in advance, Rob.

What adaptor did you buy?
You can use an EIDE drive on these adaptors if you buy an converter that
fits in the back of the EIDE drive. HighPoint calls theirs "Rocket Head
Converter". This converter plugs into the drive and connects to the adaptor
via a SATA cable.
JPS
July 29, 2004 12:22:26 AM

What kind of adapter did you buy?

One would usually purchase a PCI SATA card (such as
one by SIIG), plug this into a PCI slot, and use a SATA serial
cable from the PCI card to the hard drive.

There are adapters that plug into the usual parallel ATA Hard Drive,
and from these adapters one runs a SATA serial cable to the PCI SATA card.

I am not aware of any such adapter which you have described, so
I would be interested in any info you can provide.

Gene

"Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message news:bbRNc.4$ML1.2@okepread01...
> I recently purchased a WD Raptor Serial ATA drive. My Intel motherboard
does
> not support the serial drive, so I had to purchase an adapter that would
> allow me to use the serial drive. The packaging states very plainly that
you
> can use an IDE drive and a serial drive with the adapter. But, the adapter
> has to be plugged in to an IDE slot on the motherboard and a serial cable
is
> then used from the adapter to the serial hard drive. I can't figure out
how
> in the world I can do that and still use my existing IDE drive. If I use
the
> slot for the serial drive there is no where to plug in the cable of the
IDE
> hard drive. Does anyone have an idea of what I need to do? Other than
scrap
> the whole computer and start over, LOL.
>
> Many thanks in advance, Rob.

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
July 30, 2004 9:24:07 PM

"Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote...
> I recently purchased a WD Raptor Serial ATA drive. My Intel motherboard
does
> not support the serial drive, so I had to purchase an adapter that would
> allow me to use the serial drive. The packaging states very plainly that
you
> can use an IDE drive and a serial drive with the adapter. But, the adapter
> has to be plugged in to an IDE slot on the motherboard and a serial cable
is
> then used from the adapter to the serial hard drive. I can't figure out
how
> in the world I can do that and still use my existing IDE drive. If I use
the
> slot for the serial drive there is no where to plug in the cable of the
IDE
> hard drive.

Most computers with IDE slots have 2 of them. Does yours?

Does the adapter fit a slot on a standard 2-port IDE cable, instead of
directly into the MB slot?

Putting a Raptor on an adapter like that is a waste of $$. You'll never get
close to its SATA performance. You'll be better off with a new MB that
directly supports SATA.
July 31, 2004 9:45:39 AM

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 17:24:07 GMT, "John R Weiss"
<jrweiss98155@.comNOSPAMcast.net> wrote:

>Putting a Raptor on an adapter like that is a waste of $$. You'll never get
>close to its SATA performance. You'll be better off with a new MB that
>directly supports SATA.

time ago I saw test of Raptor, the difference between directly
connected to SATA interface or Abit adapter (IDE2SATA) was barely a
1-2% max .
--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##