Thanks for this group's input! + My final configuration :-)

Hello all,

I posted a series of messages on this board asking for advice on my
new system build. I received a lot of responses and they were all
useful in one way or another. It allowed me to hear many different
opinions and helped to fine tune my hardware selection.

I wanted to post this follow up message to let you all know how much I
appreciate the advice that I received and to share my final
configuration with you all.

Are there better components than the ones I ordered? Yes, but I feel
like I spent the money where I needed to.

I would advise against buying any ATI All-In-Wonder card.

Buy this card and software bundle instead:
http://store.freytechnologies.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SOS&Product_Code=STVPVR350&Category_Code=SB

Or just the card itself:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product_jump.asp?sku=10340586&SearchEngine=Froogle&SearchTerm=10340586&Type=PE&Category=Comp&dcaid=17379

The reason is that the ATI card has software encoding/decoding, which
places the burden on the CPU. The Haugepauge card has hardware
encoding/decoding.

Here is my final computer configuration:
http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=802963

I hope my message helps someone else the way you all helped me!

Regards,
Jim

<nospam@domain.com> wrote in message

> Hello all,
>
> I posted a series of messages on this board asking for advice on my
> new system build. I received a lot of responses and they were all
> useful in one way or another. It allowed me to hear many different
> opinions and helped to fine tune my hardware selection.
>
> I wanted to post this follow up message to let you all know how much I
> appreciate the advice that I received and to share my final
> configuration with you all.
>
> Are there better components than the ones I ordered? Yes, but I feel
> like I spent the money where I needed to.
>
> I would advise against buying any ATI All-In-Wonder card.
>
> Buy this card and software bundle instead:

http://store.freytechnologies.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Co
de=SOS&Product_Code=STVPVR350&Category_Code=SB

> Or just the card itself:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product_jump.asp?sku=10340586&SearchEngine=Froogle
&SearchTerm=10340586&Type=PE&Category=Comp&dcaid=17379

> The reason is that the ATI card has software encoding/decoding, which
> places the burden on the CPU. The Haugepauge card has hardware
> encoding/decoding.
>
> Here is my final computer configuration:
> http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=802963
>
> I hope my message helps someone else the way you all helped me!
>
> Regards,
> Jim

Thats a hell of a lot of coinage!!

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

nospam@domain.com wrote:

> I hear what you are saying, which is why I recomended the Sage TV
> software. I'm sure it won't run on Linux, but I run Windows XP Pro.

Thanks for that I'll give it a go, before I got it running on linux I was
about to sell the card and look for something else.

--
Apollo

>Nice low end system their, upgrading next year are we ?

It may not be the best system available, but of course I said that in
my initial post. It suits my needs just fine now and I don't see an
upgrade being necessary in the near future. It goes without saying
that a year from now my system will be obsolete.

Basically you should just save your negative/obvious comments and stop
wasting people's time (including your own).