wahtz teh danm deel w/ v.100??!

I wonder...
if dev team (may allah keep them well) is so dang-all smartZ...
why teh H3LLolerz is version .99 followed by version .100!?!?
that's just r3t4rd3d. sorry. there's no other way to put it.
how can they be so _brilliant_, yet not understand basic DECIMALS?!?
(I just *know* I must've missed this thread, & for that I am truly
sorry. please point me in the proper direction for ranting against
(s7o0pId(g3nIu5(infinity))), and please forgive if OT &/or old-topic. thx!)
7 answers Last reply
More about wahtz danm deel

    Keith in NJ wrote:
    > ok. i apologize for that reply.. it's late and my patience is low for the
    > kiddies.

    Apology accepted and reply forgiven, and I even understand the
    frustration behind it.
    I'm sorry if I've had an adverse effect on your blood-pressure.

    To my shame, I really just think "ha><0r" is funny. I have since I first
    saw it used on some long forgotten bbs - accessed through the magic of
    my neighbors' C64 and modem. (approx 1baud)

    Sadly, I *still* find ha><0r funny, some 20+ years later...
    ogodidontwanttohavetoadmittomyselfthatimthisold!

    I must admit, I do find I am treated as though I am a lot younger than
    my years when I give in to the urge to '1337-5p33|{, and this is good
    for my ego, firms my skin, and makes my knees hurt less when I do deep
    squats.

    I was just being immature, and pestering the "grown ups" by whining and
    whinging about a subject that, though it _is_ silly looking, isn't the
    slightest bit important, nor relevant to anything important.

    (Though, I do really like Sinistar and appreciate MAME.)

    --
    "I HUNGER! RUN COWARD! AAAUGH!!" -Sinistar

    Hi,

    > how can they be so _brilliant_, yet not understand basic DECIMALS?!?

    A version number is not a decimal number. It just happens to use a
    dot as separator.

    Ciao, MM
    --
    Marian Aldenhövel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn. +49 228 624013.
    http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de

    > A version number is not a decimal number. It just happens to use a
    > dot as separator.
    >
    > Ciao, MM

    Someone should really explain this to all of the other developers out
    there, as they seem to be as confused as I am... what with their
    constantly using wide-spread conventions like decimal places in the
    _conventional_ way. (or is this just another case of some damned (l)user
    complaining about something that doesn't concern me?(^_^))

    oh. and add </snark> to the end of my last post!

    (not that I wasn't honestly calling the ".100" label "r3tArD3d," I'd
    just rather everyone treat it like a joke, so'z I kn f33l properly
    sk00led in peace re: version# vs decimal# over here in the corner,
    wearin' my conical kap & crying in exasperation.)

    ^
    / \
    (T_T)

    (for reals, this time: </snark>)

    _-honest statement alert!-_
    I don't really care what it's called, TTTT <to tell the truth>. It's
    still cool that MAME is being developed, and I actually apreciate it,
    for Sinistar, if nothing else!!

    --
    ps: that's what part of the alphabet would look like if q & r were
    eliminated. -mitch hedberg

    Hi,

    > Someone should really explain this to all of the other developers out
    > there, as they seem to be as confused as I am... what with their
    > constantly using wide-spread conventions like decimal places in the
    > _conventional_ way.

    Oh, you mean like Microsoft where they count 3.1, 95, 98, 98SE, ME, XP?

    Or, more generally, ANY version specified in a windows version-resource
    (right-click on any file that has one and check the properties). These
    are specified as Major.Minor.Revision.Build so one of my system-DLLs
    is of Version 5.82.2900.2180. That does not look too decimal to me.

    The parts of a version number make up separate numbers. You can increment
    them separately. So after 1.0 there may come 1.1, 1.2, followed by 1.9,
    1.10 and after 1.99 there's 1.100. Nobody ever starts out at 1.000,
    goes to 1.001 and then via 1.099 to 1.100...

    So no surprise at all to this here "other developer".

    > (or is this just another case of some damned (l)user
    > complaining about something that doesn't concern me?(^_^))

    I would say so. The version number is the very least thing that concerns
    me.

    Anectode:

    In my own projects I have learned to keep two version numbers, a technical
    one and one to print on the package or show in the about-dialog: One of
    my applications was sheduled to go from major number 3 to 4. No way! It
    is about acupuncture and chinese astrology and number 4 is very unlucky.
    It's death. I have sucessfully battled against the simple solution of
    jumping to version 5 as this would be boasting. So now it is called version
    V. Internally I have just kept counting up from 1, so to me currently we
    are at version 342. See?

    Ciao, MM
    --

    Marian Aldenhövel wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    >> how can they be so _brilliant_, yet not understand basic DECIMALS?!?
    >

    > A version number is not a decimal number. It just happens to use a
    > dot as separator.
    >
    > Ciao, MM

    .....and annoyingly ending up at the wrong end of /any/ type of sort is
    just an 'undocumented feature'. Yes, we know.

    --
    Thnik about it, please!
    Deadly_Dad

    oriel@wagglyj.mil
    unpatent@Almohadr.edu
    thymetic@phaenologyi.gov
    shorn@Branchiatav.com
    Vellozia@Tetraodonm.com

    Deadly_Dad courageously wrote:
    > .....and annoyingly ending up at the wrong end of /any/ type of sort is
    > just an 'undocumented feature'. Yes, we know.

    <very quietly & attempting to draw as little attention as possible>
    thanks for seeing my facetiously made point, DD! (^_^)
    </vq&atdalaap>

    W00T!!1

    beefhaze wrote:

    > Deadly_Dad courageously wrote:
    >
    >> .....and annoyingly ending up at the wrong end of /any/ type of sort
    >> is just an 'undocumented feature'. Yes, we know.
    >>

    > <very quietly & attempting to draw as little attention as possible>
    > thanks for seeing my facetiously made point, DD! (^_^)
    > </vq&atdalaap>
    >
    > W00T!!1

    <G>

    --