wahtz teh danm deel w/ v.100??!

Last response: in Video Games
September 19, 2005 3:32:26 AM

I wonder...
if dev team (may allah keep them well) is so dang-all smartZ...
why teh H3LLolerz is version .99 followed by version .100!?!?
that's just r3t4rd3d. sorry. there's no other way to put it.
how can they be so _brilliant_, yet not understand basic DECIMALS?!?
(I just *know* I must've missed this thread, & for that I am truly
sorry. please point me in the proper direction for ranting against
(s7o0pId(g3nIu5(infinity))), and please forgive if OT &/or old-topic. thx!)
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 5:55:10 AM

Keith in NJ wrote:
> ok. i apologize for that reply.. it's late and my patience is low for the
> kiddies.

Apology accepted and reply forgiven, and I even understand the
frustration behind it.
I'm sorry if I've had an adverse effect on your blood-pressure.

To my shame, I really just think "ha><0r" is funny. I have since I first
saw it used on some long forgotten bbs - accessed through the magic of
my neighbors' C64 and modem. (approx 1baud)

Sadly, I *still* find ha><0r funny, some 20+ years later...
ogodidontwanttohavetoadmittomyselfthatimthisold!

I must admit, I do find I am treated as though I am a lot younger than
my years when I give in to the urge to '1337-5p33|{, and this is good
for my ego, firms my skin, and makes my knees hurt less when I do deep
squats.

I was just being immature, and pestering the "grown ups" by whining and
whinging about a subject that, though it _is_ silly looking, isn't the
slightest bit important, nor relevant to anything important.

(Though, I do really like Sinistar and appreciate MAME.)

--
"I HUNGER! RUN COWARD! AAAUGH!!" -Sinistar
Anonymous

Hi,

> how can they be so _brilliant_, yet not understand basic DECIMALS?!?

A version number is not a decimal number. It just happens to use a
dot as separator.

Ciao, MM
--
Marian Aldenhövel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn. +49 228 624013.
http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de

> A version number is not a decimal number. It just happens to use a
> dot as separator.
>
> Ciao, MM

Someone should really explain this to all of the other developers out
there, as they seem to be as confused as I am... what with their
constantly using wide-spread conventions like decimal places in the
_conventional_ way. (or is this just another case of some damned (l)user
complaining about something that doesn't concern me?(^_^))

oh. and add </snark> to the end of my last post!

(not that I wasn't honestly calling the ".100" label "r3tArD3d," I'd
just rather everyone treat it like a joke, so'z I kn f33l properly
sk00led in peace re: version# vs decimal# over here in the corner,
wearin' my conical kap & crying in exasperation.)

^
/ \
(T_T)

(for reals, this time: </snark>)

_-honest statement alert!-_
I don't really care what it's called, TTTT <to tell the truth>. It's
still cool that MAME is being developed, and I actually apreciate it,
for Sinistar, if nothing else!!

--
ps: that's what part of the alphabet would look like if q & r were
eliminated. -mitch hedberg

Hi,

> Someone should really explain this to all of the other developers out
> there, as they seem to be as confused as I am... what with their
> constantly using wide-spread conventions like decimal places in the
> _conventional_ way.

Oh, you mean like Microsoft where they count 3.1, 95, 98, 98SE, ME, XP?

Or, more generally, ANY version specified in a windows version-resource
(right-click on any file that has one and check the properties). These
are specified as Major.Minor.Revision.Build so one of my system-DLLs
is of Version 5.82.2900.2180. That does not look too decimal to me.

The parts of a version number make up separate numbers. You can increment
them separately. So after 1.0 there may come 1.1, 1.2, followed by 1.9,
1.10 and after 1.99 there's 1.100. Nobody ever starts out at 1.000,
goes to 1.001 and then via 1.099 to 1.100...

So no surprise at all to this here "other developer".

> (or is this just another case of some damned (l)user
> complaining about something that doesn't concern me?(^_^))

I would say so. The version number is the very least thing that concerns
me.

Anectode:

In my own projects I have learned to keep two version numbers, a technical
one and one to print on the package or show in the about-dialog: One of
my applications was sheduled to go from major number 3 to 4. No way! It
is about acupuncture and chinese astrology and number 4 is very unlucky.
It's death. I have sucessfully battled against the simple solution of
jumping to version 5 as this would be boasting. So now it is called version
V. Internally I have just kept counting up from 1, so to me currently we
are at version 342. See?

Ciao, MM
--
Marian Aldenhövel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn. +49 228 624013.
http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de
"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation
with the average voter." - Winston Churchill
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 6:51:12 AM

Marian Aldenhövel wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> how can they be so _brilliant_, yet not understand basic DECIMALS?!?
>

> A version number is not a decimal number. It just happens to use a
> dot as separator.
>
> Ciao, MM

.....and annoyingly ending up at the wrong end of /any/ type of sort is
just an 'undocumented feature'. Yes, we know.

--
Thnik about it, please!
Deadly_Dad

oriel@wagglyj.mil
unpatent@Almohadr.edu
thymetic@phaenologyi.gov
shorn@Branchiatav.com
Vellozia@Tetraodonm.com
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 6:51:13 AM

Deadly_Dad courageously wrote:
> .....and annoyingly ending up at the wrong end of /any/ type of sort is
> just an 'undocumented feature'. Yes, we know.

<very quietly & attempting to draw as little attention as possible>
thanks for seeing my facetiously made point, DD! (^_^)
</vq&atdalaap>

W00T!!1
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 5:03:52 PM

beefhaze wrote:

> Deadly_Dad courageously wrote:
>
>> .....and annoyingly ending up at the wrong end of /any/ type of sort
>> is just an 'undocumented feature'. Yes, we know.
>>

> <very quietly & attempting to draw as little attention as possible>
> thanks for seeing my facetiously made point, DD! (^_^)
> </vq&atdalaap>
>
> W00T!!1

<G>

--