HPIIP+ bottom of pages accordion fold - Help please

My HP IIP+ has started accordion-folding the bottom 2 inches of each
page, accompanied by a crunching sound. Printing is all OK. Is there
anyone who can tell me what is the likely cause? And how to go about
fixing it? Thank you! RD2

>My HP IIP+ has started accordion-folding the bottom 2 inches of each
>page, accompanied by a crunching sound. Printing is all OK. Is there
>anyone who can tell me what is the likely cause? And how to go about
>fixing it? Thank you! RD2

It's the last set of rollers that the paper hits as it goes out to the top of
the printer. Try redirecting the paper to come out the front instead, and the
problem is gone. There's a lever for that behind the MP tray.

Raymond

http://fixyourownprinter.com/kkc0.html

On 04 Sep 2004 04:44:08 GMT, quadrajet1@aol.com (Quadrajet1) wrote:

>>My HP IIP+ has started accordion-folding the bottom 2 inches of each
>>page, accompanied by a crunching sound. Printing is all OK. Is there
>>anyone who can tell me what is the likely cause? And how to go about
>>fixing it? Thank you! RD2
>
> It's the last set of rollers that the paper hits as it goes out to the top of
>the printer. Try redirecting the paper to come out the front instead, and the
>problem is gone. There's a lever for that behind the MP tray.
>
>Raymond

Raymond, Yes it looks like you are correct, because the paper does not
pleat up when coming out the front. Do I clean or replace the set of
rollers to correct the problem?? Thank you. RD2

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 11:38:35 +0000 (UTC), retsuhcs@xinap.moc (Mike S.)
wrote:

>In article <41393ee8.21304935@news.nls.net>, RD2 <void@en.com> wrote:
>>My HP IIP+ has started accordion-folding the bottom 2 inches of each
>>page, accompanied by a crunching sound. Printing is all OK. Is there
>>anyone who can tell me what is the likely cause? And how to go about
>>fixing it? Thank you! RD2
>

> http://fixyourownprinter.com/kkc0.html

Mike S, Got the picture, thank you so much. Great website too.
Thanks!. RD2

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 04:04:59 UTC, void@en.com (RD2) wrote:

> My HP IIP+ has started accordion-folding the bottom 2 inches of each
> page, accompanied by a crunching sound. Printing is all OK. Is there
> anyone who can tell me what is the likely cause? And how to go about
> fixing it? Thank you! RD2

Exit rollers have gone hard or smooth.

Try cleaning them if you wish, but the only real solution is to replace
them. Not sure about that model, but on my HP4+ they were about $15 (I
replaced both).

Shop around; some sites that give a lot of help also charge an arm and a
leg.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!

>Raymond, Yes it looks like you are correct, because the paper does not
>pleat up when coming out the front. Do I clean or replace the set of
>rollers to correct the problem?? Thank you. RD2

I usually replace them, but I have cleaned quite a few, and had no problem.

What I usually did was take the roller out of the printer, and take an end
with nothing on it, and put it in a drill. Spin the thing slowly, and use
something like a Scotch pad soaked in alcohol and clean the rollers. With the
Scotch Brite pad, or steel wool, you are also taking the glaze off the rubber.
You want a nice flat black roller color when you are done. Get all of the
grungy gray off the rollers.

Raymond

In article <4139c46a.2773457@news.nls.net>, RD2 <void@en.com> wrote:
>On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 11:38:35 +0000 (UTC), retsuhcs@xinap.moc (Mike S.)
>wrote:
>

>>In article <41393ee8.21304935@news.nls.net>, RD2 <void@en.com> wrote:
>>>My HP IIP+ has started accordion-folding the bottom 2 inches of each
>>>page, accompanied by a crunching sound. Printing is all OK. Is there
>>>anyone who can tell me what is the likely cause? And how to go about
>>>fixing it? Thank you! RD2
>>

>> http://fixyourownprinter.com/kkc0.html
>
>Mike S, Got the picture, thank you so much. Great website too.

you're welcome. I've done this twice on the same LJIIP that won't die :)

Baz

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

Hi all,

I have/had the same problem, but my rollers didn't respond to the cleaning
and roughing, they were too far gone. As a quick and dirty fix, I cut four
pieces of car vacuum hose I had in the garage that had the right inside
diameter to fit tightly on the shaft, and jammed them on. The outside
diameter was too small however so the paper folding was worse than before,
about half the page lenght. Aftert a think, I got some self adhesive felt
material I had lying around and glued strips on each roller until I had the
right diameter to pull the paper through fast enough. In my case I needed
four pieces glued one on top of the other on each roller. The number was
found by trial an error. I kept adding until the roller could keep up with
the fuser output. This could be done with the door open and the paper fed
by hand into the fuser and the appropriate gear rotated by hand.

I still intend to get the proper rollers however, just in case the felt
starts to unstick.

By the way the reason I had the self adhesive felt lying around was from
repairing another problem in the printer, that was the issuing of blank
pages between printed ones from the optional sheet feeder. It seems that
the armatures of the solenoids in the sheetfeeder have a small felt pad or
something cushioning their operation and providing an air gap. They had
disintegrated and the sticky glue was causing timing problems.

Regards
Barry