Networking XP home with 2000

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b D Laptop
June 27, 2005 6:13:03 PM

I have 2 desktops running XP Home and a laptop running 2000. The laptop is
connected to a domain at my office. I can get on the internet with all 3 and
the 2 desktops can see each other fine. Since I can't change the laptop to
"work groups", I can not see either XP machines. If I upgrade to XP Pro will
I be able to solve my problem and how difficult will it be to set up a domain?

More about : networking home 2000

June 27, 2005 10:50:02 PM

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:13:03 -0700, intelman2015
<intelman2015@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have 2 desktops running XP Home and a laptop running 2000. The laptop is
>connected to a domain at my office. I can get on the internet with all 3 and
>the 2 desktops can see each other fine. Since I can't change the laptop to
>"work groups", I can not see either XP machines. If I upgrade to XP Pro will
>I be able to solve my problem and how difficult will it be to set up a domain?

Upgrading the laptop to XP won't solve the problem by itself. Windows XP Pro
computers can join a domain - but they can't make one, by themselves. Your
problem is that the domain controller that the laptop is getting browser
services from doesn't see the desktops, so neither does the laptop.

Do you mean to say that the laptop is connected to a domain at your office, when
it's at the office? Or is the laptop connecting to the domain when it's at home
too?

If you only need the laptop to be a member of the office domain when it's at the
office, then set it up with 2 configurations.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/have-laptop-will-...;

Or, you could try making the 2 XP computers member of a workgroup with the same
name as the domain.

--
Cheers,
Chuck