ATA 66/100/133 question

Hackworth

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

Assume the following:

* A motherboard or add-in card (like the Promise Ultra ATA series) offers
ATA 66/100/133.
* The hard disk drive supports ATA 66/100/133.
* An 80-conductor IDE ribbon cable connects the disk drive to the
motherboard or controller card.

Question: If the user explicitly sets the disk drive maser/slave
configuration via a jumper on the drive, does it matter whether or not the
drive is connected to the black (end) or gray (middle) connector of the IDE
cable?

In the "old days" when 40-conductor IDE cables were the norm and no one
used/trusted cable select (CS) anyhow, one could set the drives to be master
or slave and then connect them to whatever IDE cable connector was most
convenient. (At least I did many times and it worked fine.) Someone at work
asked me if that behavior was still the same with 80-conductor IDE cable
and, although I suspect it is, I wasn't sure what to tell him.

BigJim

doesn't matter once you set the slave and master