MB to fit proprietary dell cases?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Does anyone make these? I bought a very cheap PC for brother a short
while ago only to find out its sans AGP slot. Everything else in there
is fairly new, but it doesnt look like a standard case. Any ideas?

--
Mike
Block Banner Ads Now
http://everythingisnt.com/hosts.html
9 answers Last reply
More about proprietary dell cases
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Mike245 <user245_hotmail.com@ignorethis.com> said:

    > Does anyone make these? I bought a very cheap PC for brother a short
    > while ago only to find out its sans AGP slot. Everything else in there
    > is fairly new, but it doesnt look like a standard case. Any ideas?
    >

    Look for motherboards of the 4xxx or 8400 series
    (i.e. 4500, 4550, 4600, 8400). Some of the older 8xxx series used RAMBUS
    memory.

    http://search.ebay.com/dimension-motherboard

    --
    Mac Cool
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    it's not worth the effort and the psu they use is just barely enough for the
    system. get a new case and psu.

    "Mike245" <user245_hotmail.com@ignorethis.com> wrote in message
    news:ht6Oc.190311$JR4.132066@attbi_s54...
    > Does anyone make these? I bought a very cheap PC for brother a short
    > while ago only to find out its sans AGP slot. Everything else in there
    > is fairly new, but it doesnt look like a standard case. Any ideas?
    >
    > --
    > Mike
    > Block Banner Ads Now
    > http://everythingisnt.com/hosts.html
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Dell cases are proprietary. That means that ONLY motherboards made by Dell
    fit it.

    --
    DaveW


    "Mike245" <user245_hotmail.com@ignorethis.com> wrote in message
    news:ht6Oc.190311$JR4.132066@attbi_s54...
    > Does anyone make these? I bought a very cheap PC for brother a short
    > while ago only to find out its sans AGP slot. Everything else in there
    > is fairly new, but it doesnt look like a standard case. Any ideas?
    >
    > --
    > Mike
    > Block Banner Ads Now
    > http://everythingisnt.com/hosts.html
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    gothika <Vampyres@nettaxi.com> said:

    >>Does anyone make these? I bought a very cheap PC for brother a short
    >>while ago only to find out its sans AGP slot. Everything else in there
    >>is fairly new, but it doesnt look like a standard case. Any ideas?

    > It IS a lot work tho'. I start by cutting out the proprietary back
    > panel and putting in one of my own design.

    All he has to do is buy a Dell 4500 or 4550 motherboard ($30-50 ebay) to
    replace the 2400 his friend has now. He should be able to reuse everything
    and gain the AGP slot he desires. No cutting, no PS problems, no hassle
    and cheap.
    --
    Mac Cool
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 02:30:18 GMT, Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote:

    >gothika <Vampyres@nettaxi.com> said:
    >
    >>>Does anyone make these? I bought a very cheap PC for brother a short
    >>>while ago only to find out its sans AGP slot. Everything else in there
    >>>is fairly new, but it doesnt look like a standard case. Any ideas?
    >
    >> It IS a lot work tho'. I start by cutting out the proprietary back
    >> panel and putting in one of my own design.
    >
    >All he has to do is buy a Dell 4500 or 4550 motherboard ($30-50 ebay) to
    >replace the 2400 his friend has now. He should be able to reuse everything
    >and gain the AGP slot he desires. No cutting, no PS problems, no hassle
    >and cheap.

    My neighbor has a dell dimension (43??). It's a p4 1.6g, 845 chipset
    motherboard. Looks like it uses 133mhz sdram and a 400mhz fsb.
    (DDR ??)

    Is the ram proprietary too ? They've only got 256M and are trying to
    run XP with that anaemic 1.6G P4. My PIII667 BX motherboard runs
    win2k LOTS faster.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 23:26:32 -0700, neighbor wrote:


    >motherboard. Looks like it uses 133mhz sdram and a 400mhz fsb.
    >(DDR ??)
    >
    >Is the ram proprietary too ?

    oops... I believe that should be:

    It's 133mhz infineon chips running at 100mhz with a 400mhz fsb.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    neighbor said:

    > Is the ram proprietary too ?

    no

    --
    Mac Cool
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    In article <s9emg0dnq2g2i2f7ds9rjq76lrahg7ak3i@4ax.com>,
    neighbor says...
    > Is the ram proprietary too ? They've only got 256M and are trying to
    > run XP with that anaemic 1.6G P4. My PIII667 BX motherboard runs
    > win2k LOTS faster.

    Fortunately not... you can hit the Kingston website to
    find expansion memory. We usually end up buying it from
    the Dell store anyway since their prices are
    competitive. (Not sure what you need to do to see the
    "discount" price other then creating a login account.)

    Get the part number from Kingston, get a price from
    BizRate.com, and then check Dell's memory prices.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 09:57:37 -0400, Toshi1873 <toshi1873@nowhere.com>
    wrote:

    >In article <s9emg0dnq2g2i2f7ds9rjq76lrahg7ak3i@4ax.com>,
    >neighbor says...
    >> Is the ram proprietary too ? They've only got 256M and are trying to
    >> run XP with that anaemic 1.6G P4. My PIII667 BX motherboard runs
    >> win2k LOTS faster.
    >
    >Fortunately not... you can hit the Kingston website to
    >find expansion memory. We usually end up buying it from
    >the Dell store anyway since their prices are
    >competitive. (Not sure what you need to do to see the
    >"discount" price other then creating a login account.)
    >
    >Get the part number from Kingston, get a price from
    >BizRate.com, and then check Dell's memory prices.


    Any good cpu upgrades for the dell dimension 4300 (845 chipset) ?

    Any problems with the cpu voltages, etc ?
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Hardware Cases Dell Systems