PC won't boot after mother board & cpu upgrade.

Having upgraded my PC today, I decided to transfer the old cpu and mother
board to my daughter's computer, together with a new graphics card and power
supply.

Unfortunately, it now doesn't want to boot. When the power button is
pressed, the CPU fan spins for about a second, then everything dies. I've
double, triple and quadruple-checked the connections, and I've eliminated
the PSU from the equation by trying two others.

Any ideas anyone?

Steve Silverman

Jim

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 21:49:39 +0000 (UTC), "Steve Silverman"
<ssilverm@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>Unfortunately, it now doesn't want to boot. When the power button is
>pressed, the CPU fan spins for about a second, then everything dies. I've
>double, triple and quadruple-checked the connections, and I've eliminated
>the PSU from the equation by trying two others.
>
>Any ideas anyone?
>
>Steve Silverman

Look closely again at where the cpu fan is connected. Often there are
two very similar fan connectors. One for the cpu, the other for the
chassis fan. Easy to get the wrong one.

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 21:49:39 +0000 (UTC) As another one bit the dust
"Steve Silverman" <ssilverm@btopenworld.com> wrote :

>Having upgraded my PC today, I decided to transfer the old cpu and mother
>board to my daughter's computer, together with a new graphics card and power
>supply.
>
>Unfortunately, it now doesn't want to boot. When the power button is
>pressed, the CPU fan spins for about a second, then everything dies. I've
>double, triple and quadruple-checked the connections, and I've eliminated
>the PSU from the equation by trying two others.
>
>Any ideas anyone?
>
>Steve Silverman

Is the mother board shorting to the case?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply

"Shep©" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message

> Is the mother board shorting to the case?

Please forgive the naivete of a novice, but how would I tell?

Steve Silverman

"Jim" <chief_jim@go.nospam.com> wrote in message

> Look closely again at where the cpu fan is connected. Often there are
> two very similar fan connectors. One for the cpu, the other for the
> chassis fan. Easy to get the wrong one.

It's definitely not that. I've transferred a working CPU and mother board
form one PC to another without disconnecting the components.

Steve Silverman

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 22:34:23 +0000 (UTC) As another one bit the dust
"Steve Silverman" <ssilverm@btopenworld.com> wrote :

>"Shep©" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Is the mother board shorting to the case?
>
>Please forgive the naivete of a novice, but how would I tell?
>
>Steve Silverman

Check the mounting screws thru the board are not askew.
Also take the board out and power it up if you can and see if the fan
keeps going ?

--

> Check the mounting screws thru the board are not askew.
> Also take the board out and power it up if you can and see if the fan
> keeps going ?

Bingo! I removed one of the screws that had gone in slightly awkwardly and
it booted up immediately. Many thanks.

Steve Silverman

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 22:57:45 GMT As another one bit the dust Jim
<chief_jim@go.nospam.com> wrote :

>On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 21:49:39 +0000 (UTC), "Steve Silverman"
><ssilverm@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>
>>Unfortunately, it now doesn't want to boot. When the power button is
>>pressed, the CPU fan spins for about a second, then everything dies. I've
>>double, triple and quadruple-checked the connections, and I've eliminated
>>the PSU from the equation by trying two others.
>>
>>Any ideas anyone?
>>
>>Steve Silverman
>>

>Look closely again at where the cpu fan is connected. Often there are
>two very similar fan connectors. One for the cpu, the other for the
>chassis fan. Easy to get the wrong one.

Good call.And on some mother boards putting the CPU fan on wrong
connector/header will cause the fault effect as a protection system as
the BIOS does not detect the CPU fan and thus shuts down the system to
prevent CPU overheating.My,"Asrock" board has this function.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
Free songs to download and,"BURN" :O)

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 23:48:59 +0000 (UTC) As another one bit the dust
"Steve Silverman" <ssilverm@btopenworld.com> wrote :

>"Shep©" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Check the mounting screws thru the board are not askew.
>> Also take the board out and power it up if you can and see if the fan
>> keeps going ?
>
>Bingo! I removed one of the screws that had gone in slightly awkwardly and
>it booted up immediately. Many thanks.
>
>Steve Silverman

BTSTGTTS :p