Canon i950 "defective printhead"

My Canon i950 has stopped functioning. I just get the 7 amber flashes
which translates as a defective printhead error message. I have tried
soaking the printhead in warm water and it looks clean but still
nothing happens.

I have used 3rd party inks in the past, but the error occurred when I
was using canon inks on Ilford Galerie paper there are no drivers so I
had it on the photopaper pro setting. Then an "operator error"
message occurred and the printer just flashes the amber signal.

Does this mean I have to buy a new printer or perhaps even worse value
for money...a new printhead. I fail to see what irreparable damage
could have occurred just by printing a photo.

Any solutions?

"Dave Wallis" <davewallis69@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> My Canon i950 has stopped functioning. I just get the 7 amber flashes
> which translates as a defective printhead error message. I have tried
> soaking the printhead in warm water and it looks clean but still
> nothing happens.
>
> I have used 3rd party inks in the past, but the error occurred when I
> was using canon inks on Ilford Galerie paper there are no drivers so I
> had it on the photopaper pro setting. Then an "operator error"
> message occurred and the printer just flashes the amber signal.
>
> Does this mean I have to buy a new printer or perhaps even worse value
> for money...a new printhead. I fail to see what irreparable damage
> could have occurred just by printing a photo.

A failed printhead error condition would indicate a 'possible' electronic
malfunction with the printhead and is not generally associated with the ink
used. If this printer is still under warranty, then the printhead is covered
and would be replaced at no charge.

Geo

may i ask a question?
The printhead isn't permanent?

geo wrote:
> may i ask a question?
> The printhead isn't permanent?

Generally, yes. But like anything in life, they can go
ahead of their time. Or, like someone suggested, perhaps
this has nothing to do with the print head. The problem
could lie elsewhere.

-Taliesyn

Thanks for the posts. after soaking overnight the printhead worked
again briefly, but a few seconds into the first test print (which was
printing perfectly) I got the same "operator error". I have tried
soaking the head since then and it is completely clean but the
defective printhead error is now permanently flashing amber.

If it is an electronic malfunction will replacing the printhead do the
trick, and why could this have occured? The printer is no longer
under warranty.

thanks again

> A failed printhead error condition would indicate a 'possible' electronic
> malfunction with the printhead and is not generally associated with the ink
> used. If this printer is still under warranty, then the printhead is covered
> and would be replaced at no charge.

The cheapest I can find a new printhead is £81.27 inc uk postage. If
I buy this can I be sure that my printer will start working again?

Also given the cost, would I be better off getting a new printer? The
i965 has replaced the i950 and is now for sale at Jessops for £199, I
presume this would include £50 worth of inks, which means for £70 more
than the printhead I could get a whole new printer. The i965 has the
same printhead as the i950. I would change brands all together but I
have just bought a new set of inks for the canon. It wasn't that long
ago that I bought the i950 and when I bought that it had just replaced
the s900, now it seems the i965 will be replaced, what if the
printhead goes on that? maybe the spare parts will no longer be
available. It also seems that canon printers are 40-50% cheaper in
the US than the UK.

> Thanks for the posts. after soaking overnight the printhead worked
> again briefly, but a few seconds into the first test print (which was
> printing perfectly) I got the same "operator error". I have tried
> soaking the head since then and it is completely clean but the
> defective printhead error is now permanently flashing amber.

My guess is that you were able to get ink at the nozzles to loosen enough
and that the nozzle heater is firing, but that there is a problem prior to
that (preheater, etc)

> If it is an electronic malfunction will replacing the printhead do the
> trick, and why could this have occured? The printer is no longer
> under warranty.

This (as most indication actually) can never be a 100% sure thing. By design
when getting this error replacing the printhead should correct the issue and
clear the error and in 99% of the cases will. There always is going to be
that very slight chance that something else is the cause and is creating a
false error on the control panel.

Going to Canon's website (or calling support) they can supply the names and
tel number for your local authorized service center at no charge. Another
option is Canon's Customer Loyalty Program. I have used this and because my
printer was out of warranty was able to purchase a new (better) printer for
10% off and got free overnight shipping. Turned out to be a good deal for
what I needed.

> The cheapest I can find a new printhead is £81.27 inc uk postage. If
> I buy this can I be sure that my printer will start working again?
>
> Also given the cost, would I be better off getting a new printer? The
> i965 has replaced the i950 and is now for sale at Jessops for £199, I
> presume this would include £50 worth of inks, which means for £70 more
> than the printhead I could get a whole new printer. The i965 has the
> same printhead as the i950. I would change brands all together but I
> have just bought a new set of inks for the canon. It wasn't that long
> ago that I bought the i950 and when I bought that it had just replaced
> the s900, now it seems the i965 will be replaced, what if the
> printhead goes on that? maybe the spare parts will no longer be
> available. It also seems that canon printers are 40-50% cheaper in
> the US than the UK.

Regarding the Customer Loyalty Program, I am in the states and did not
notice you being in the UK.
May want to double check if this offer applies there.

Geo

Have you checked if your printhead is moving freely while printing?