PSU, installing new, Basic Question

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hi,

I am re-casing my PC, including Intel ATX motherboard. The new case comes
with a new PSU and I have a few questions about this.

1. The new PSU is 400W, significantly higher than the old one (which i
believe is 180W). Is this likely to pose any problems?

2. I am under the impression that any PSU has "fixed" voltages for each
of its connectors - so presumably I just need to plug the correct connector
into the correct component? For example I think the motherboard connector
is always 12v, so as long as the motherboard is 12v then this will be ok?

Will the other devices (DVD, CDROM, HDD) also be ok? (They are all less
than 2 years old)

The motherboard is an Intel D845WN, P4 1.4Ghz.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Chris

Chris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am re-casing my PC, including Intel ATX motherboard. The new case
> comes with a new PSU and I have a few questions about this.
>
> 1. The new PSU is 400W, significantly higher than the old one
> (which i believe is 180W). Is this likely to pose any problems?
>
> 2. I am under the impression that any PSU has "fixed" voltages for
> each of its connectors - so presumably I just need to plug the
> correct connector into the correct component? For example I think
> the motherboard connector is always 12v, so as long as the
> motherboard is 12v then this will be ok?
>
> Will the other devices (DVD, CDROM, HDD) also be ok? (They are all
> less than 2 years old)
>
> The motherboard is an Intel D845WN, P4 1.4Ghz.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated,
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris

1. No. Quite the reverse.

2. Yes. Yes.

--
Derek

Many of those 'power supplies with chassis' are missing
essential functions as even required by Intel. Those without
basic power supply knowledge would then say, "It works just
fine. Therefore I don't need those other functions." You are
cautioned that those functions were required even 30 years
ago. But when selling a power supply using only one numerical
specification - dollars - then Asian manufacturers discovered
a lucrative market of the technically naive in N America.
Power supplies without essential functions is very profitable
Power supplies with those essential functions typically sell
for $60+ full retail. Power supplies missing those functions
even required by Intel sell a great profit for maybe $25 or
$35.

Does the manufacturer provide a long list of specs? If not,
then he does not even claim to meet those Intel requirements.

Among the naive assumptions is that more wattage means
higher quality. Classic among those 'dumped' power supplies
is that they cannot output that wattage AND may even self
destruct when being tested for that maximum output. No
acceptable power supply is even damaged when all outputs are
shorted together. And yet the N American market is full of
inferior power supplies because so many computer assemblers
don't even have basic knowledge.

An example of 'dumped' power supplies:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/02q4/021021/powersupplies-15.html