Which 17" flat screen?

Need a new screen.

Not a gamer.

Ref choice...I've got my shortlist down to 2:-

LG 1710
Samsung SyncMaster 173P

Any comments - good or bad about either?

Thanks.

Cheers,

John
9 answers Last reply
More about which flat screen

    "OrmesbyJohn" <NoSpamThanks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Need a new screen.
    >
    > Not a gamer.
    >
    > Ref choice...I've got my shortlist down to 2:-
    >
    > LG 1710
    > Samsung SyncMaster 173P
    >
    > Any comments - good or bad about either?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John

    You've got a Samsung for about $600 and a LG for about $400. One has DVI,
    one doesn't. Might I suggest a third option? I don't know anything about
    the LG, as I've never seen one. But I have seen the Samsung. You can get
    better picture quality for less money. Check out the NEC LCD1760NX-1 BK.
    The Samsung appears to have slightly better specs., on paper. But I've seen
    the Samsung and the NEC side-by-side, and there is no comparison. The NEC
    has clearly superior picture quality. It's in the middle of your apparent
    price range, and has analog and DVI. It's also great for gaming, even
    though you probably don't care about that. -Dave

    not a gamer......so, what is it? a screen saver runner ? Graphics
    surfer music?.....................

    you guys always ask about which(peripheral) is better, but never say
    what the hell your using the machine for. If your doing graphic work I
    wouldn't buy a 17 nor a flat panel as most don't have calibration
    profiles. Those that do have accurate profiles, are in the 19' range
    and are extremely expensive. IMO the cheaper ones are not worth their
    weight.

    "OrmesbyJohn" <NoSpamThanks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Need a new screen.
    >
    > Not a gamer.
    >
    > Ref choice...I've got my shortlist down to 2:-
    >
    > LG 1710
    > Samsung SyncMaster 173P
    >
    > Any comments - good or bad about either?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John

    > Check out the NEC LCD1760NX-1 BK.

    Ive heard great things abt this unit as well

    "OrmesbyJohn" <NoSpamThanks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Need a new screen.
    >
    > Not a gamer.
    >
    > Ref choice...I've got my shortlist down to 2:-
    >
    > LG 1710
    > Samsung SyncMaster 173P
    >
    > Any comments - good or bad about either?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John
    ------------
    Or alternative recommendation for an excellent 17"TFT.
    Thanks

    OrmesbyJohn wrote:

    > "OrmesbyJohn" <NoSpamThanks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Need a new screen.
    >>
    >>Not a gamer.
    >>
    >>Ref choice...I've got my shortlist down to 2:-
    >>
    >>LG 1710
    >>Samsung SyncMaster 173P
    >>
    >>Any comments - good or bad about either?
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>
    >>John
    >
    > ------------
    > Or alternative recommendation for an excellent 17"TFT.
    > Thanks

    About a month before I left my last job, they gave us a 17" BenQ LCD
    monitor. Frankly, I was very impressed. When I checked out the price, I
    was more impressed. They seem to be a great value. I'd look into them.

    Clyde

    Use = text documents, e-mail, internet surfing, graphics - digicam
    display - some simple image editing.

    "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
    > not a gamer......so, what is it? a screen saver runner ? Graphics
    > surfer music?.....................
    >

    > you guys always ask about which(peripheral) is better, but never say
    > what the hell your using the machine for. If your doing graphic work I
    > wouldn't buy a 17 nor a flat panel as most don't have calibration
    > profiles. Those that do have accurate profiles, are in the 19' range
    > and are extremely expensive. IMO the cheaper ones are not worth their
    > weight.
    >

    > "OrmesbyJohn" <NoSpamThanks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Need a new screen.
    > >
    > > Not a gamer.
    > >
    > > Ref choice...I've got my shortlist down to 2:-
    > >
    > > LG 1710
    > > Samsung SyncMaster 173P
    > >
    > > Any comments - good or bad about either?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > >
    > > John

    I have a Samsung 171v it is two years old
    no dead pixels and running fine. I use it every day
    so it is never down for any length of time.
    "OrmesbyJohn" <NoSpamThanks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Need a new screen.
    >
    > Not a gamer.
    >
    > Ref choice...I've got my shortlist down to 2:-
    >
    > LG 1710
    > Samsung SyncMaster 173P
    >
    > Any comments - good or bad about either?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John

    "OrmesbyJohn" <NoSpamThanks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Need a new screen.
    >
    > Not a gamer.
    >
    > Ref choice...I've got my shortlist down to 2:-
    >
    > LG 1710
    > Samsung SyncMaster 173P
    >
    > Any comments - good or bad about either?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John
    ------------------
    TVM for all the comments - appreciated - gotta decide now :-)
    John

    On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 09:13:35 +0100, "OrmesbyJohn"
    <NoSpamThanks@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Need a new screen.
    >
    >Not a gamer.
    >
    >Ref choice...I've got my shortlist down to 2:-
    >
    >LG 1710
    >Samsung SyncMaster 173P
    >
    >Any comments - good or bad about either?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >John

    I recommend Princeton Graphics. I sell their products (I'm not trying
    to sell you one, just give you a recommendation) and I am very happy
    with them. Cost, performance, etc. all meet my standards.

    ---Atreju---

Homebuilt Flat Screen Hardware Systems