Which 17" flat screen?

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
August 3, 2004 1:13:35 PM

Need a new screen.

Not a gamer.

Ref choice...I've got my shortlist down to 2:-

LG 1710
Samsung SyncMaster 173P

Any comments - good or bad about either?

Thanks.

Cheers,

John

More about : flat screen

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 3, 2004 1:13:36 PM

"OrmesbyJohn" <NoSpamThanks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Need a new screen.
>
> Not a gamer.
>
> Ref choice...I've got my shortlist down to 2:-
>
> LG 1710
> Samsung SyncMaster 173P
>
> Any comments - good or bad about either?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John

You've got a Samsung for about $600 and a LG for about $400. One has DVI,
one doesn't. Might I suggest a third option? I don't know anything about
the LG, as I've never seen one. But I have seen the Samsung. You can get
better picture quality for less money. Check out the NEC LCD1760NX-1 BK.
The Samsung appears to have slightly better specs., on paper. But I've seen
the Samsung and the NEC side-by-side, and there is no comparison. The NEC
has clearly superior picture quality. It's in the middle of your apparent
price range, and has analog and DVI. It's also great for gaming, even
though you probably don't care about that. -Dave
August 3, 2004 1:13:36 PM

not a gamer......so, what is it? a screen saver runner ? Graphics
surfer music?.....................

you guys always ask about which(peripheral) is better, but never say
what the hell your using the machine for. If your doing graphic work I
wouldn't buy a 17 nor a flat panel as most don't have calibration
profiles. Those that do have accurate profiles, are in the 19' range
and are extremely expensive. IMO the cheaper ones are not worth their
weight.

"OrmesbyJohn" <NoSpamThanks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Need a new screen.
>
> Not a gamer.
>
> Ref choice...I've got my shortlist down to 2:-
>
> LG 1710
> Samsung SyncMaster 173P
>
> Any comments - good or bad about either?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John

Related resources
August 3, 2004 1:13:37 PM

> Check out the NEC LCD1760NX-1 BK.

Ive heard great things abt this unit as well
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 3, 2004 6:16:07 PM

"OrmesbyJohn" <NoSpamThanks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Need a new screen.
>
> Not a gamer.
>
> Ref choice...I've got my shortlist down to 2:-
>
> LG 1710
> Samsung SyncMaster 173P
>
> Any comments - good or bad about either?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John
------------
Or alternative recommendation for an excellent 17"TFT.
Thanks
August 3, 2004 6:24:21 PM

OrmesbyJohn wrote:

> "OrmesbyJohn" <NoSpamThanks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Need a new screen.
>>
>>Not a gamer.
>>
>>Ref choice...I've got my shortlist down to 2:-
>>
>>LG 1710
>>Samsung SyncMaster 173P
>>
>>Any comments - good or bad about either?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>John
>
> ------------
> Or alternative recommendation for an excellent 17"TFT.
> Thanks

About a month before I left my last job, they gave us a 17" BenQ LCD
monitor. Frankly, I was very impressed. When I checked out the price, I
was more impressed. They seem to be a great value. I'd look into them.

Clyde
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 3, 2004 9:05:41 PM

Use = text documents, e-mail, internet surfing, graphics - digicam
display - some simple image editing.

"JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> not a gamer......so, what is it? a screen saver runner ? Graphics
> surfer music?.....................
>

> you guys always ask about which(peripheral) is better, but never say
> what the hell your using the machine for. If your doing graphic work I
> wouldn't buy a 17 nor a flat panel as most don't have calibration
> profiles. Those that do have accurate profiles, are in the 19' range
> and are extremely expensive. IMO the cheaper ones are not worth their
> weight.
>

> "OrmesbyJohn" <NoSpamThanks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Need a new screen.
> >
> > Not a gamer.
> >
> > Ref choice...I've got my shortlist down to 2:-
> >
> > LG 1710
> > Samsung SyncMaster 173P
> >
> > Any comments - good or bad about either?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > John

August 3, 2004 9:33:37 PM

I have a Samsung 171v it is two years old
no dead pixels and running fine. I use it every day
so it is never down for any length of time.
"OrmesbyJohn" <NoSpamThanks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Need a new screen.
>
> Not a gamer.
>
> Ref choice...I've got my shortlist down to 2:-
>
> LG 1710
> Samsung SyncMaster 173P
>
> Any comments - good or bad about either?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 3, 2004 11:53:08 PM

"OrmesbyJohn" <NoSpamThanks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Need a new screen.
>
> Not a gamer.
>
> Ref choice...I've got my shortlist down to 2:-
>
> LG 1710
> Samsung SyncMaster 173P
>
> Any comments - good or bad about either?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John
------------------
TVM for all the comments - appreciated - gotta decide now :-)
John
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2004 5:52:25 AM

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 09:13:35 +0100, "OrmesbyJohn"
<NoSpamThanks@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Need a new screen.
>
>Not a gamer.
>
>Ref choice...I've got my shortlist down to 2:-
>
>LG 1710
>Samsung SyncMaster 173P
>
>Any comments - good or bad about either?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Cheers,
>
>John

I recommend Princeton Graphics. I sell their products (I'm not trying
to sell you one, just give you a recommendation) and I am very happy
with them. Cost, performance, etc. all meet my standards.

---Atreju---
!