How can you use your PC as a VCR?

I would like to use my PC as a video (VCR) / audio recorder.

There isn't any easy way of automatically turning the PC on and off.

I need some sort of timer that will do this.

The only options I have found are.

1. The RTC Alarm Resume function in the Bios is great for single, weekly and
monthly Auto switch on, no good for multiple events.

2. I have Wake on Lan working, so I can trigger any network computer on at
any time by sending a magic packet.

I'm trying to avoid having any Pc switched on initially.

3. Wake on Modem / Ring works, but this involves me manually ringing my
phone every time I want the PC to switch on, plus the fact it will switch on
when anyone calls.

Is there a way to connect a cheap mobile phone up to the modem to trigger
the PC on ? This would be interesting but it wont solve the problem.

The above options are no good, it would be nice if there was a bios that had
multiple wake up events.

Is there any PCI timer card out there because I haven't found it or some
sort of box which you can program timed events to send a WOL or WOR packets
to the PC.

Anybody have any good answers please let me know.

Thanks

Jim
9 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    How about not turning the PC off ever? Problem solved. There are tons of
    great cards/software packages that work with TITANTV.com, just click
    "record" and its scheduled. As far as powering up and down, like I say,
    don't ever turn it off.

    --Dan

    "Jim" <aqza74@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > I would like to use my PC as a video (VCR) / audio recorder.
    >
    > There isn't any easy way of automatically turning the PC on and off.
    >
    > I need some sort of timer that will do this.
    >

    > The only options I have found are.
    >

    > 1. The RTC Alarm Resume function in the Bios is great for single, weekly
    and
    > monthly Auto switch on, no good for multiple events.
    >

    > 2. I have Wake on Lan working, so I can trigger any network computer on at
    > any time by sending a magic packet.
    >
    > I'm trying to avoid having any Pc switched on initially.
    >

    > 3. Wake on Modem / Ring works, but this involves me manually ringing my
    > phone every time I want the PC to switch on, plus the fact it will switch
    on
    > when anyone calls.
    >
    > Is there a way to connect a cheap mobile phone up to the modem to trigger
    > the PC on ? This would be interesting but it wont solve the problem.
    >

    > The above options are no good, it would be nice if there was a bios that
    had
    > multiple wake up events.
    >

    > Is there any PCI timer card out there because I haven't found it or some
    > sort of box which you can program timed events to send a WOL or WOR
    packets
    > to the PC.
    >

    > Anybody have any good answers please let me know.
    >

    > Thanks
    >

    > Jim

    > There isn't any easy way of automatically turning the PC on and off.
    >
    > I need some sort of timer that will do this.

    If you go into the power options, you can set your computer to go to sleep.
    It will power down the hard drive(s), monitor, and set the CPU into a low
    power mode. However, it will still respond to being woken up by software
    such as your TV recording software.

    I don't know exactly how much power a PC uses when asleep, but it's probably
    not much more than say, an alarm clock.

    "Jim" <aqza74@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > I would like to use my PC as a video (VCR) / audio recorder.
    >
    > There isn't any easy way of automatically turning the PC on and off.
    >
    > I need some sort of timer that will do this.
    >

    > The only options I have found are.

    (snip)

    I use my wife's computer as a VCR. I use a Leadtek brand PCI PVR card with
    Winfast PVR software. What I use it for is to record programs late at night
    so I can watch them the next day. I do this, as all the best shows don't
    start until around the time I fall asleep. I'd have no problem at all
    leaving the wife's computer running 24/7, as it's pretty much on 24/7
    anyway. But the Winfast PVR software will turn the computer off when it's
    done recording, if you check off the box to have it do that.

    You should be aware that you can buy a hard disk recorder now that is NOT
    tied to Tivo or any other paid subscription service. They are a bit pricey
    (about $600, last I checked), but it is a one-time expense.

    If a computer is just on and not doing anything (monitor off), it is really
    not using a lot of electricity . . . probably less than leaving your hallway
    light on. The savings in terms of (electricity) and (wear and tear on
    hardware) will be negligible, even if the computer is off the entire time
    that it is NOT recording anything.

    But if you really want the computer OFF when not recording, it would
    probably be best to get one of the dedicated function boxes, such as the
    following. -Dave

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1074788111642&skuId=6304135&type=product

    If you are curretnly using cable you can build a pvr which works exactly
    like a tivo without paying the monthly charge (at a low cost). It is a
    different story if you are using satelite.

    Take a look at http://www.byopvr.com/ for all the info you need. They have
    step by step procedures and system requirements.

    Why bother? You can buy a 4-head VCR for around $49-$59 dollars, on
    sale.
    Curious....

    "AAA" <artform@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Why bother? You can buy a 4-head VCR for around $49-$59 dollars, on
    > sale.
    > Curious....

    Picture quality. -Dave

    View and record at the same time. Instantly fast forward through minutes
    worth of comercials. May not seem like much until you use it and see how
    much time you can save. Play back at 1.5X with small change in audio. The 2
    can save like 20 min an hour. Plus it's already captured to edit and put on
    disc if desired.

    "AAA" <artform@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Why bother? You can buy a 4-head VCR for around $49-$59 dollars, on
    > sale.
    > Curious....
    >

    > "Jim" <aqza74@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > > I would like to use my PC as a video (VCR) / audio recorder.
    > >
    > > There isn't any easy way of automatically turning the PC on and off.
    > >
    > > I need some sort of timer that will do this.
    > >

    > > The only options I have found are.
    > >

    > > 1. The RTC Alarm Resume function in the Bios is great for single,
    > weekly and
    > > monthly Auto switch on, no good for multiple events.
    > >

    > > 2. I have Wake on Lan working, so I can trigger any network computer
    > on at
    > > any time by sending a magic packet.
    > >
    > > I'm trying to avoid having any Pc switched on initially.
    > >

    > > 3. Wake on Modem / Ring works, but this involves me manually ringing
    > my
    > > phone every time I want the PC to switch on, plus the fact it will
    > switch on
    > > when anyone calls.
    > >
    > > Is there a way to connect a cheap mobile phone up to the modem to
    > trigger
    > > the PC on ? This would be interesting but it wont solve the problem.
    > >

    > > The above options are no good, it would be nice if there was a bios
    > that had
    > > multiple wake up events.
    > >

    > > Is there any PCI timer card out there because I haven't found it or
    > some
    > > sort of box which you can program timed events to send a WOL or WOR
    > packets
    > > to the PC.
    > >

    > > Anybody have any good answers please let me know.
    > >

    > > Thanks
    > >

    > > Jim

    >View and record at the same time. Instantly fast forward through minutes
    >worth of comercials. May not seem like much until you use it and see how
    >much time you can save. Play back at 1.5X with small change in audio. The 2
    >can save like 20 min an hour. Plus it's already captured to edit and put on
    >disc if desired.

    Agreed

    Many many reason to use a hard drive based unit over a
    tape based unit to capture and watch video

    <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > >View and record at the same time. Instantly fast forward through minutes
    > >worth of comercials. May not seem like much until you use it and see how
    > >much time you can save. Play back at 1.5X with small change in audio. The
    2
    > >can save like 20 min an hour. Plus it's already captured to edit and put
    on
    > >disc if desired.
    >
    > Agreed
    >
    > Many many reason to use a hard drive based unit over a
    > tape based unit to capture and watch video

    Something I hadn't thought about till now. That I should be doing. Use ATIs
    ..VCR format to make searchable text documents from the closed captioning.
    Would make searching for specifie topics in some of the shows I burn to disc
    much easier.

    Digital is the way to go!!!!!

Homebuilt Systems