  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
August 3, 2004 10:33:39 PM

Situation:

My 18 yr old nephew is in Kansas City now...... living at his aunts
house there.

They bought a Linksys wireless router so he could use his desktop PC
upstairs in his room.

The router is downstairs

His signal strength is weak..... maybe one "bar". And it drops out at
times.

Oh...... this is the B version of wireless and he is running Win XP
pro

Having said all that what can be done to increase signal strength?
Obviously they will move the antennas around a bit but that may not
help. And the router and PC cant really be moved much anyway due to
their locations.

Is B wireless just on the weak side and should they have gotten the G
version?

Any devices to let one move or extend the "antennas" on either the
router end or PC end or both?

Advice on what to tell them to do?

Thanks in advance!

More about : weak signal wireless router connection

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2004 8:12:52 PM

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 18:33:39 -0500, me6@privacy.net wrote:

>Situation:
>
>My 18 yr old nephew is in Kansas City now...... living at his aunts
>house there.
>
>They bought a Linksys wireless router so he could use his desktop PC
>upstairs in his room.
>
>The router is downstairs
>
>His signal strength is weak..... maybe one "bar". And it drops out at
>times.
>
>Oh...... this is the B version of wireless and he is running Win XP
>pro
>
>Having said all that what can be done to increase signal strength?
>Obviously they will move the antennas around a bit but that may not
>help. And the router and PC cant really be moved much anyway due to
>their locations.
>
>Is B wireless just on the weak side and should they have gotten the G
>version?
>
>Any devices to let one move or extend the "antennas" on either the
>router end or PC end or both?
>
>Advice on what to tell them to do?
>
>Thanks in advance!

Well, G vs B ... if you got a G device chances are it would be a 2.4
GHz frequency which is a more powerful signal.

You might consider 1 of 2 things:
1. Put a WAP (Wireless Access Point) and configure it as a relay. Set
it up somewhere between the floors, such as on the ceiling of the
stairwell or something like that. This may or may not help.

2. Just bite the bullet and run an ethernet cable.

I always discourage use of the wireless devices unless absolutely
needed. First, there have been health issues linked with all this
radiation and EM activity. Second, you will get a much more secure and
reliable connection with a wire.

---Atreju---
August 4, 2004 8:12:53 PM

>Well, G vs B ... if you got a G device chances are it would be a 2.4
>GHz frequency which is a more powerful signal.

Agreed. I don't know why they went ahead and bought
the B equip. I would have gone for G

>I always discourage use of the wireless devices unless absolutely
>needed.

Agreed as well there

The situation is this. The husband of the aunt he is
living with is an anal type. Kind of a control freak
who does NOT like being told what to do. He doesn't
know as much as he "thinks" he knows.

Soooo......... have to kind of bend around this old
fart when it comes to doing things. For instance... he
refuses to set the router up on top of his desk and
instead has it down on top of the tower in the desk
itself. <sigh>

Anyway...... Im just looking for advice on "options"
before confronting him on how to get a better signal
for my 18 yr old nephew upstairs.

I would have used a wire...... for reasons you
suggest.... but he flat out refused to allow that.

Im like you.....Id ONLY use wireless when no other
option.... or if I wanted to move around with a laptop
August 5, 2004 5:19:12 AM

Well, I'm having connectivity issues with my current setup. I've ordered a
higher gain antenna; I'll post in here if it makes a difference.

Clint

!