first LCD!! help!!..

oymd

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
i'm planning on getting a Digital LCD these next couple of days....my options at the local store are:

VIEWSONIC - VG150 15"
VIEWSONIC - VE150 15"
SONY - M51B 15"
i know they are not so great...but a little help could help me locate a better one within the same price range...

i have a radeon 64MBDDRVIVO...and i'm perfectly happy with it....but it has no DVI output....so i have to change the card....but i cant find another with VIVO features ....and the 8500 DV is too expensive i guess...and i think the GeForce cards are not as good as ATi in TV out and VIVO ( if any card even has all those together ), GeForces are superior in speed ..but i bought my radeon for its VIVO features.....i guess my option would be the old Radeon All In Wonder...but it's only 32MBDDR so i'll lose performance in games!!!
so what can i do.....is'nt there some kind of adaptor for my VGA output to DVI...???..there must be...
then there is DVI-I and DVI-D? what's the difference and what's in it for me to watch out for ..and oh...analog versus digital LCDs....???.will analog allow me to use my existing radeon???...but then i wont be enjoying digital ???right??

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Hehe, calm down. Asus sells GF cards that have vivo, they're teh deluxe series. Suggest those. Also, what ur max price for an LCD? Oh, and about the DVI thing- vid cards come w/ standard DVI, which supports all the rest.

What if your life moved.....2 inches to the left?

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Vivo on GF cards doesn't suck. That's yet another dumb myth. Dude, my Quadro DCC has TV-Out, and it's great, and a few of my freinds have GF2 w/ vivo, and they're great. Unless u need something pro, in which case, get a matrox, and/or something professional, the GF series vivo will be fine. As for the LCD- if u can spare $645, u can get urself a very, very nice LCD- the Compaq TFT5030. I am assuming that u'll be doing video work and playing games on this computer?

oymd

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
yeah....i guess it's a good choice...i read the other threads about MVA and your thread with GOSHARKS....
but what about my current RADEON 64DDRVIVO...i love it man....isnt there some way to use an adapter or something for the digital LCD...i'd hate buying an analog LCD..

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Thing is, if u convert analog to digital type sognal, it's actually analog, therefore meaning that picture will be further degraded by teh conversion. Change ur vid card man- I'm telling you, the GF series are very nice.

sakattack

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2001
Just buy a TFT with both analog(VGA) and digital(DVI) inputs.
Use analog input with your card and you can buy a new card with DVI output later. (Look up my Eizo L365 post).

TRENDING THREADS