mic does not work

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I am unable to get the microphone to work on a a Win 2k system. The
computer has a Soyo motherboard with onboard audio. I checked all the
software controls to see if they were turned down or muted and they were
ok. I used a couple different mics and a webcam with mic and none
worked.

Next I installed an Aureal soundcard after disabling the onboard audio
in bios. All of the drivers were installed by Win 2k and no problems
showing in device manager.

The external speakers were connected to the soundcard and also the mic
to the same soundcard and still unable to hear the mic!! (The
speakers work when playing audio files).

Please help going crazy.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I had a similar problem with an HP computer and had to send it back to the
factory for them to fix it because I tried everything they suggested. You
have probably done all you can do.
"JonZ" <JZ@aol.com> wrote in message news:4112D50C.D30DD922@aol.com...
> I am unable to get the microphone to work on a a Win 2k system. The
> computer has a Soyo motherboard with onboard audio. I checked all the
> software controls to see if they were turned down or muted and they were
> ok. I used a couple different mics and a webcam with mic and none
> worked.
>
> Next I installed an Aureal soundcard after disabling the onboard audio
> in bios. All of the drivers were installed by Win 2k and no problems
> showing in device manager.
>
> The external speakers were connected to the soundcard and also the mic
> to the same soundcard and still unable to hear the mic!! (The
> speakers work when playing audio files).
>
> Please help going crazy.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 17:47:08 -0700 Being sentient I replied to this
then JonZ <JZ@aol.com> wrote :

>I am unable to get the microphone to work on a a Win 2k system. The
>computer has a Soyo motherboard with onboard audio. I checked all the
>software controls to see if they were turned down or muted and they were
>ok. I used a couple different mics and a webcam with mic and none
>worked.
>
>Next I installed an Aureal soundcard after disabling the onboard audio
>in bios. All of the drivers were installed by Win 2k and no problems
>showing in device manager.
>
>The external speakers were connected to the soundcard and also the mic
>to the same soundcard and still unable to hear the mic!! (The
>speakers work when playing audio files).
>
> Please help going crazy.

Have you,"Muted" the mic on,"Playback"?
You need to do this if you want to record.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply

CK

Distinguished
May 25, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

> I am unable to get the microphone to work on a a Win 2k system. The
> computer has a Soyo motherboard with onboard audio. I checked all the
> software controls to see if they were turned down or muted and they were
> ok. I used a couple different mics and a webcam with mic and none
> worked.
>
> Next I installed an Aureal soundcard after disabling the onboard audio
> in bios. All of the drivers were installed by Win 2k and no problems
> showing in device manager.
>
> The external speakers were connected to the soundcard and also the mic
> to the same soundcard and still unable to hear the mic!! (The
> speakers work when playing audio files).
>
> Please help going crazy.

Check Control Panel -> Sounds & Multimedia -> Audio and make sure that the
Preferred Device in the Sound Recording drop-down menu is a sensible one.

HTH.

CK

ProfGene wrote:

> I had a similar problem with an HP computer and had to send it back to the
> factory for them to fix it because I tried everything they suggested. You
> have probably done all you can do.

Except that he also switched to a separate sound card so it's unlikely to
be an original equipment problem.

Frankly, with the problem occurring on two different sound hardware
configurations it really does seem likely it's some kind of confusion on
how to set up the software in order to 'hear' the microphone or he's using
microphones incompatible with common sound cards.

> "JonZ" <JZ@aol.com> wrote in message news:4112D50C.D30DD922@aol.com...
>
>>I am unable to get the microphone to work on a a Win 2k system. The
>>computer has a Soyo motherboard with onboard audio. I checked all the
>>software controls to see if they were turned down or muted and they were
>>ok. I used a couple different mics and a webcam with mic and none
>>worked.
>>
>>Next I installed an Aureal soundcard after disabling the onboard audio
>>in bios. All of the drivers were installed by Win 2k and no problems
>>showing in device manager.
>>
>>The external speakers were connected to the soundcard and also the mic
>>to the same soundcard and still unable to hear the mic!! (The
>>speakers work when playing audio files).
>>
>> Please help going crazy.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"JonZ" <JZ@aol.com> wrote in message news:4112D50C.D30DD922@aol.com...
> I am unable to get the microphone to work on a a Win 2k system. The
> computer has a Soyo motherboard with onboard audio. I checked all the
> software controls to see if they were turned down or muted and they were
> ok. I used a couple different mics and a webcam with mic and none
> worked.
>
> Next I installed an Aureal soundcard after disabling the onboard audio
> in bios. All of the drivers were installed by Win 2k and no problems
> showing in device manager.
>
> The external speakers were connected to the soundcard and also the mic
> to the same soundcard and still unable to hear the mic!! (The
> speakers work when playing audio files).
>
> Please help going crazy.

What sort of sound setup did you do? When I was putting my last system
together it would support up to surround sound (5 speaker) but the sound
ports were reassigned as to what they did. IE mic is center speaker line in
is right (or front) output is Left (or rear). %.1 standard also changes
settings of ports to. (i use ports as generic description of jacks)

Larry

"ProfGene" <mfevs@winco.net> wrote in message
> I had a similar problem with an HP computer and had to send it back to the
> factory for them to fix it because I tried everything they suggested. You
> have probably done all you can do.
> "JonZ" <JZ@aol.com> wrote in message news:4112D50C.D30DD922@aol.com...
> > I am unable to get the microphone to work on a a Win 2k system. The
> > computer has a Soyo motherboard with onboard audio. I checked all the
> > software controls to see if they were turned down or muted and they were
> > ok. I used a couple different mics and a webcam with mic and none
> > worked.
> >
> > Next I installed an Aureal soundcard after disabling the onboard audio
> > in bios. All of the drivers were installed by Win 2k and no problems
> > showing in device manager.
> >
> > The external speakers were connected to the soundcard and also the mic
> > to the same soundcard and still unable to hear the mic!! (The
> > speakers work when playing audio files).
> >
> > Please help going crazy.

You know it is possible that the mike is bad ?

PWY wrote:

> "ProfGene" <mfevs@winco.net> wrote in message
>
>>I had a similar problem with an HP computer and had to send it back to the
>>factory for them to fix it because I tried everything they suggested. You
>>have probably done all you can do.
>>"JonZ" <JZ@aol.com> wrote in message news:4112D50C.D30DD922@aol.com...
>>
>>>I am unable to get the microphone to work on a a Win 2k system. The
>>>computer has a Soyo motherboard with onboard audio. I checked all the
>>>software controls to see if they were turned down or muted and they were
>>>ok. I used a couple different mics and a webcam with mic and none
>>>worked.
>>>
>>>Next I installed an Aureal soundcard after disabling the onboard audio
>>>in bios. All of the drivers were installed by Win 2k and no problems
>>>showing in device manager.
>>>
>>>The external speakers were connected to the soundcard and also the mic
>>>to the same soundcard and still unable to hear the mic!! (The
>>>speakers work when playing audio files).
>>>
>>> Please help going crazy.
>

> You know it is possible that the mike is bad ?

Could be the wrong type of mic too, especially if he 'borrowed' one from a
cassette recorder but there's no way to know from the description given.