Can the VIA KT133 chipset do a 133 FSB?

I have an old motherboard running VIA's KT133 chipset doing 100 FSB on a
Duron 1.3. I'd like to put in a much faster chip, but I don't think the
KT133 can handle a 133 FSB. Has anyone gotten this to work? Sisoft
Sandra suggests it can do a 133 FSB but I don't think that's correct. It
was the KT133A that could do the 133 FSB.

Looks like the fastest chip this can handle is a 1.4mhz Athlon
thunderbird with a 200fsb(2x100fsb). This old chip retails at over one
hundred dollars! Must be in demand for this chipset.

Is the difference between a 1.3 Duron and a 1.4 Athlon pretty trivial in
terms of gaming, video encoding, and overall system performance goes?

--
Mike
Block Banner Ads Now

Check the mobo manual to locate the 100/133 jumper. It may also be a BIOS
setting.

--

Lenny Vaz

"Mike245" <user245_hotmail.com@ignorethis.com> wrote in message
> I have an old motherboard running VIA's KT133 chipset doing 100 FSB on a
> Duron 1.3. I'd like to put in a much faster chip, but I don't think the
> KT133 can handle a 133 FSB. Has anyone gotten this to work? Sisoft
> Sandra suggests it can do a 133 FSB but I don't think that's correct. It
> was the KT133A that could do the 133 FSB.
>
> Looks like the fastest chip this can handle is a 1.4mhz Athlon
> thunderbird with a 200fsb(2x100fsb). This old chip retails at over one
> hundred dollars! Must be in demand for this chipset.
>
> Is the difference between a 1.3 Duron and a 1.4 Athlon pretty trivial in
> terms of gaming, video encoding, and overall system performance goes?
>
> --
> Mike
> Block Banner Ads Now
> http://everythingisnt.com/hosts.html

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

The KT133 chipset can run at 133 - that's what the 133 of KT133 stands for!
There should be a jumper on the mobo to select 100 or 133.
I run an Athlon 2ghz on my KT133 PC, I think that's about as fast as it can
take.

"Mike245" <user245_hotmail.com@ignorethis.com> wrote in message
> I have an old motherboard running VIA's KT133 chipset doing 100 FSB on a
> Duron 1.3. I'd like to put in a much faster chip, but I don't think the
> KT133 can handle a 133 FSB. Has anyone gotten this to work? Sisoft
> Sandra suggests it can do a 133 FSB but I don't think that's correct. It
> was the KT133A that could do the 133 FSB.
>
> Looks like the fastest chip this can handle is a 1.4mhz Athlon
> thunderbird with a 200fsb(2x100fsb). This old chip retails at over one
> hundred dollars! Must be in demand for this chipset.
>
> Is the difference between a 1.3 Duron and a 1.4 Athlon pretty trivial in
> terms of gaming, video encoding, and overall system performance goes?
>
> --
> Mike
> Block Banner Ads Now
> http://everythingisnt.com/hosts.html

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003

"GTS" <gts123NOSPAM@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> The KT133 chipset can run at 133 - that's what the 133 of KT133 stands
for!

Some mobos with it could but not all e.g. the original ASUS A7V couldn't -
same as KT400 officially doesn't support 400fsb CPU but KT400A does.

Mike245 <user245_hotmail.com@ignorethis.com> astounded us with:

Correct, 100Mhz Fsb is the limit, although you can run the memory @ 133Mhz

> Looks like the fastest chip this can handle is a 1.4mhz Athlon
> thunderbird with a 200fsb(2x100fsb). This old chip retails at over one
> hundred dollars! Must be in demand for this chipset.
>
> Is the difference between a 1.3 Duron and a 1.4 Athlon pretty trivial in
> terms of gaming, video encoding, and overall system performance goes?

Yep, a Duron has half the L2 cache of the Athlon, that's the only difference.