Can't power up

Hi,

I have a system which was abruptly (and inadvertantly) powered off - its
plugged into an outlet controlled by a light switch...

In any case, the system will no longer power up. When the power supply is
turned on, a green "status" LED on the mobo lights, but the power supply fans
fail to come on and there is no system activity. If I connect the PSU to a
tester, the fans come on and the tester indicates the PSU is good.

Anything else I can try/test before I assume the mobo is dead? I don't have
access to multi-meter at this time so I can't confirm the voltages from the
PSU...

Thanks,

Kevin

"Kevin Collins" <spamtotrash@toomuchfiction.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a system which was abruptly (and inadvertantly) powered off - its
> plugged into an outlet controlled by a light switch...
>
> In any case, the system will no longer power up. When the power supply is
> turned on, a green "status" LED on the mobo lights, but the power supply
fans
> fail to come on and there is no system activity. If I connect the PSU to a
> tester, the fans come on and the tester indicates the PSU is good.
>
> Anything else I can try/test before I assume the mobo is dead? I don't
have
> access to multi-meter at this time so I can't confirm the voltages from
the
> PSU...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin

You've probably triggered a protection circuit timer in the power supply.
Assuming this is ATX, turn it off (main power switch on the power supply)
for about a half hour. Then turn it back on and try it again. -Dave

In article <2nihbnF1ciguU1@uni-berlin.de>, Dave C. wrote:

> "Kevin Collins" <spamtotrash@toomuchfiction.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a system which was abruptly (and inadvertantly) powered off - its
>> plugged into an outlet controlled by a light switch...
>>
>> In any case, the system will no longer power up. When the power supply is
>> turned on, a green "status" LED on the mobo lights, but the power supply
> fans
>> fail to come on and there is no system activity. If I connect the PSU to a
>> tester, the fans come on and the tester indicates the PSU is good.
>>
>> Anything else I can try/test before I assume the mobo is dead? I don't
> have
>> access to multi-meter at this time so I can't confirm the voltages from
> the
>> PSU...
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Kevin
>
> You've probably triggered a protection circuit timer in the power supply.
> Assuming this is ATX, turn it off (main power switch on the power supply)
> for about a half hour. Then turn it back on and try it again. -Dave

Well, I doubt that is the case since a) the power supply powers up when
connected to a tester (as mentioned above) and b) I left the system completely
unplugged and switched off for 24 hours with no difference.

I'm suspecting some weirdness in the mobo, since the PSU won't go active when
connected to it, but will on the tester...

And, yes, it is an ATX system

Thanks,

Kevin

A 3.5 digit multimeter takes but seconds, need not remove
power supply, and does what the tester does ... plus more.

The power supply 'system' is PSU, motherboard controller,
and power switch. Using the 3.5 digit multimeter, one can
verify communication lines between PSU to motherboard AND
verify that voltages are in the upper 3/4 limits of specs in
that chart. Tester cannot do this:
"Computer doesnt start at all" in alt.comp.hardware on 10
Jan 2004 at http://tinyurl.com/2t69q or
"I think my power supply is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on 5
Feb 2004 at http://www.tinyurl.com/2musa

In article <4114EB9D.728FBAA@hotmail.com>, w_tom wrote:
> A 3.5 digit multimeter takes but seconds, need not remove
> power supply, and does what the tester does ... plus more.
>
> The power supply 'system' is PSU, motherboard controller,
> and power switch. Using the 3.5 digit multimeter, one can
> verify communication lines between PSU to motherboard AND
> verify that voltages are in the upper 3/4 limits of specs in
> that chart. Tester cannot do this:
> "Computer doesnt start at all" in alt.comp.hardware on 10
> Jan 2004 at http://tinyurl.com/2t69q or
> "I think my power supply is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on 5
> Feb 2004 at http://www.tinyurl.com/2musa

Yes, I agree, but as I said already, I have no multi-meter. Also, does it not
seem suspect that the power supply DOES work when NOT connected to the mobo,
but IS connected to the tester? Does that not seem to indicate a problem with
the mobo?

> Kevin Collins wrote:
>> In article <2nihbnF1ciguU1@uni-berlin.de>, Dave C. wrote:
>>> "Kevin Collins" <spamtotrash@toomuchfiction.com> wrote in message

>>> You've probably triggered a protection circuit timer in the
>>> power supply. Assuming this is ATX, turn it off (main power
>>> switch on the power supply) for about a half hour. Then turn
>>> it back on and try it again. -Dave
>>
>> Well, I doubt that is the case since a) the power supply powers
>> up when connected to a tester (as mentioned above) and b) I left
>> the system completely unplugged and switched off for 24 hours
>> with no difference.
>>
>> I'm suspecting some weirdness in the mobo, since the PSU won't
>> go active when connected to it, but will on the tester...
>>
>> And, yes, it is an ATX system
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Kevin

In article <4114EB9D.728FBAA@hotmail.com>, w_tom wrote:
> A 3.5 digit multimeter takes but seconds, need not remove
> power supply, and does what the tester does ... plus more.
>
> The power supply 'system' is PSU, motherboard controller,
> and power switch. Using the 3.5 digit multimeter, one can
> verify communication lines between PSU to motherboard AND
> verify that voltages are in the upper 3/4 limits of specs in
> that chart. Tester cannot do this:
> "Computer doesnt start at all" in alt.comp.hardware on 10
> Jan 2004 at http://tinyurl.com/2t69q or
> "I think my power supply is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on 5
> Feb 2004 at http://www.tinyurl.com/2musa

By the way, I just read your posts in those threads and they are very
informative. Thanks for the links!

In article <slrnchbl2n.f3.spamtotrash@doom.unix-guy.com>, Kevin Collins wrote:
> In article <4114EB9D.728FBAA@hotmail.com>, w_tom wrote:
>> A 3.5 digit multimeter takes but seconds, need not remove
>> power supply, and does what the tester does ... plus more.
>>
>> The power supply 'system' is PSU, motherboard controller,
>> and power switch. Using the 3.5 digit multimeter, one can
>> verify communication lines between PSU to motherboard AND
>> verify that voltages are in the upper 3/4 limits of specs in
>> that chart. Tester cannot do this:
>> "Computer doesnt start at all" in alt.comp.hardware on 10
>> Jan 2004 at http://tinyurl.com/2t69q or
>> "I think my power supply is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on 5
>> Feb 2004 at http://www.tinyurl.com/2musa
>
> By the way, I just read your posts in those threads and they are very
> informative. Thanks for the links!
>

>> Kevin Collins wrote:

>>> Well, I doubt that is the case since a) the power supply powers
>>> up when connected to a tester (as mentioned above) and b) I left
>>> the system completely unplugged and switched off for 24 hours
>>> with no difference.
>>>
>>> I'm suspecting some weirdness in the mobo, since the PSU won't
>>> go active when connected to it, but will on the tester...
>>>
>>> And, yes, it is an ATX system
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Kevin

Follow-up to the problem: I decided to swap power supply from another system
to help troubleshoot and the system came up clean! So, after reading the links
provided by w_tom, I decided I was going to open up the "bad" PSU and see if
any components looked damaged. Everything appeared fine, but I had to dust it
off before I could tell. On a whim, I decided to hook it up to the computer I
had stolen the other PSU from and to my amazement, that system powered up fine,
too!

Now, I'm wondering if there was just a short or something caused by dust and
the inadvertant shutdown was a red herring?

But I'm too lazy to swap them back and see if everything still works, so I'm
leaving them swapped...

Kevin

Kevin Collins wrote:

> In article <slrnchbl2n.f3.spamtotrash@doom.unix-guy.com>, Kevin Collins wrote:
>
>>In article <4114EB9D.728FBAA@hotmail.com>, w_tom wrote:
>>
>>> A 3.5 digit multimeter takes but seconds, need not remove
>>>power supply, and does what the tester does ... plus more.
>>>
>>> The power supply 'system' is PSU, motherboard controller,
>>>and power switch. Using the 3.5 digit multimeter, one can
>>>verify communication lines between PSU to motherboard AND
>>>verify that voltages are in the upper 3/4 limits of specs in
>>>that chart. Tester cannot do this:
>>>"Computer doesnt start at all" in alt.comp.hardware on 10
>>>Jan 2004 at http://tinyurl.com/2t69q or
>>>"I think my power supply is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on 5
>>>Feb 2004 at http://www.tinyurl.com/2musa
>>
>>By the way, I just read your posts in those threads and they are very
>>informative. Thanks for the links!

> Follow-up to the problem: I decided to swap power supply from another system
> to help troubleshoot and the system came up clean! So, after reading the links
> provided by w_tom,

You should forget the hysterics, hyperbole, and slander in w_tom's posts,
meaning about 90% of it.

> I decided I was going to open up the "bad" PSU and see if
> any components looked damaged. Everything appeared fine, but I had to dust it
> off before I could tell. On a whim, I decided to hook it up to the computer I
> had stolen the other PSU from and to my amazement, that system powered up fine,
> too!
>
> Now, I'm wondering if there was just a short or something caused by dust and
> the inadvertant shutdown was a red herring?

Could be a short but more likely a bad connection somewhere, perhaps from
dust/dirt getting into the connectors or a slight oxidization/corrosion.

> But I'm too lazy to swap them back and see if everything still works, so I'm
> leaving them swapped...
>
> Kevin

Rarely does a damaged power supply component look damaged.
Typically not possible to fix electronics by visual
inspection. Again, the 3.5 digit multimeter is something
everyone needs to solve electrical problems. A tool as
necessary as a screwdriver. Alternative is to just keep
swapping things until something appears to work. 'Not having
a meter' is not a valid excuse because multimeters are so
inexpensive and because the human cannot either see electrons
nor remove screws using teeth. Get the meter.

In the meantime, caution: Capacitors inside a power supply
that can shock with over 300 volts (if the discharge resistors
have failed - and yes I have seen or suffered same because
those resistors do sometimes fail). Power supplies are sealed
for good reason.

Without a meter or an oscilloscope, in most every case, you
are not going to fix the power supply.

If purchasing another supply, do not use watts as an
indication of quality. In fact, often those inferior power
supplies (that don't provide a long list of numerical
specifications) cannot even output the required wattage. In
those other posts (if I remember) are many necessary functions
that as missing in power supplies sold to bean counters.
Power supplies that only provide one valid numerical spec -
the price. A typically acceptable power supply is about $60
full retail. For example, one missing function called OVP can
result in damage to everything else inside the computer.
"Bean counter' supplies are routinely missing OVP. A failed
power supply must never cause other damage; as was defacto
standard even 30 years ago.

Dust rarely causes a problem - including overheating - in a
properly designed machine. But many only see dust - don't see
the electrons - and are quick to blame dust. A more likely
possibility is an intermittent connector. Again, with that
multimeter and not yet removing cables, one can see a problem
which may still exist and later become intermittent. Only
time
will tell.

Connectors are self cleaning. By breaking and making a
connection, you may have cleaned a connector contact. If the
problem happens again, don't fix or disconnect anything. Use
the multimeter. Even a power supply that works on the power
supply tester can still be defective. That suspect power
supply could have excessive ripple which is why it works
sometimes and not others. Ripple induced problems may not be
obvious except with a multimeter and the numbers - voltages
that
are in the lower 1/4 of limits or less. That meter provides
much
more information that even a swapped power supply does.

IOW just because a power supply works today does not mean it
is working properly - which is again why the meter is so
informative. Is the power supply sufficiently sized for the
load? System would still work normally most of the time even
is power supply was marginal. But meter would identify a
marginal power supply.

So, good luck with the solution. But should symptoms
return, get the so inexpensive and useful meter (sold even in
Sears, Home Depot, and Radio Shack).