Cant get my CD Rom to boot

bernard

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

I have just replaced my dead motherboard with a Albatron KM400 Pro

I have an AMD 2000+ CPU, 2 sticks of DDR 256Mb Ram a CD ROM 40GB HDD GF
MX4000 128MB Graphics

When I try to boot up it wont start XP, (I assume this is because of major
hardware changes),
BUT I can not get the machine to Boot from my CD Rom, I changed the settings
in the BIOS even hit escape during POST but no affect

I cant reinstall XP if I cant boot from CD

HELP

Regards

Bernard

"Bernard" <b.skelton.tigercomaus@bigpond.com> wrote in message

> I cant reinstall XP if I cant boot from CD

Is the XP CD the real XP CD or copied CD?

--

- Tony Sutton
- http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!

Anytime I do anything as major as a motherboard change I back up any
important data then do a "CLEAN" installation of the operating system.

Go into the BIOS and check to see if the hard drive has been
recognized correctly.

Can you change the BIOS to boot from the floppy drive first ? If so
then you could always use a Windows98 boot disk, run FDISK and FORMAT.
( obviously you will lose ALL YOUR DATA )

If you go that path then after running FDISK and FORMAT try setting
the CD Rom as the First Boot Device and reboot.
( with Windows XP in the CD rom )

Post back and let us know of your progress. Good Luck!

"Bernard" <b.skelton.tigercomaus@bigpond.com> wrote in message news:<cf1iu6$k9m$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>...
> I have just replaced my dead motherboard with a Albatron KM400 Pro
>
> I have an AMD 2000+ CPU, 2 sticks of DDR 256Mb Ram a CD ROM 40GB HDD GF
> MX4000 128MB Graphics
>
> When I try to boot up it wont start XP, (I assume this is because of major
> hardware changes),
> BUT I can not get the machine to Boot from my CD Rom, I changed the settings
> in the BIOS even hit escape during POST but no affect
>
> I cant reinstall XP if I cant boot from CD
>
> HELP
>

> Regards
>
> Bernard

jk

Are you sure your cpu and or ram aren't also shot?

Bernard wrote:

> I have just replaced my dead motherboard with a Albatron KM400 Pro
>
> I have an AMD 2000+ CPU, 2 sticks of DDR 256Mb Ram a CD ROM 40GB HDD GF
> MX4000 128MB Graphics
>
> When I try to boot up it wont start XP, (I assume this is because of major
> hardware changes),
> BUT I can not get the machine to Boot from my CD Rom, I changed the settings
> in the BIOS even hit escape during POST but no affect
>
> I cant reinstall XP if I cant boot from CD
>
> HELP
>
> Regards
>
> Bernard

peter

In article <cf1iu6$k9m$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>,
b.skelton.tigercomaus@bigpond.com says...
> I have just replaced my dead motherboard with a Albatron KM400 Pro
>
> I have an AMD 2000+ CPU, 2 sticks of DDR 256Mb Ram a CD ROM 40GB HDD GF
> MX4000 128MB Graphics
>
> When I try to boot up it wont start XP, (I assume this is because of major
> hardware changes),
> BUT I can not get the machine to Boot from my CD Rom, I changed the settings
> in the BIOS even hit escape during POST but no affect
>
> I cant reinstall XP if I cant boot from CD

Does the CD ROM drive show up as a listed IDE device when your computer
boots up? Also check in your BIOS to ensure that IDE detection for your
CD-ROM (depending upon which IDE port it is set up for) is set to AUTO.
--
Pete Ives
Remove ALL_STRESS before sending me an email

bernard

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

Real XP CD not an OEM but Full Version
I have tried other bootable CDs and they don't work either

> Real XP CD not an OEM but Full Version
> I have tried other bootable CDs and they don't work either

Must be your CD-ROM then.... how old it is?

--

- Tony Sutton
- http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!
The OFFICIAL tagline of the 1996 Olympics!

bernard

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

I have tried known good parts from another computer.
CD rom
HDD
Video,
Memory

The only thing I cant swap is the MB and CPU

> "Bernard" <b.skelton.tigercomaus@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> > Real XP CD not an OEM but Full Version
> > I have tried other bootable CDs and they don't work either
> >

> Must be your CD-ROM then.... how old it is?
>
> --
>
> - Tony Sutton
> - http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!
> The OFFICIAL tagline of the 1996 Olympics!

bernard

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

For additional info

I have tried known good parts from another computer.
CD rom
HDD
Video,
Memory

The only thing I cant swap is the MB and CPU

"Bernard" <b.skelton.tigercomaus@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> I have just replaced my dead motherboard with a Albatron KM400 Pro
>
> I have an AMD 2000+ CPU, 2 sticks of DDR 256Mb Ram a CD ROM 40GB HDD GF
> MX4000 128MB Graphics
>
> When I try to boot up it wont start XP, (I assume this is because of major
> hardware changes),
> BUT I can not get the machine to Boot from my CD Rom, I changed the
settings
> in the BIOS even hit escape during POST but no affect
>
> I cant reinstall XP if I cant boot from CD
>
> HELP
>

> Regards
>
> Bernard

bernard

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

I have tried another stick of RAM but don't have a spare CPU to try.

Can the CPU being frazzled cause this kind of problem

I pinched a HDD out of a computer running ME but it will only start-up in
safe mode and it still wont boot from the CD Rom

Cheers

Bernard

"JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Are you sure your cpu and or ram aren't also shot?
>
> Bernard wrote:
>
> > I have just replaced my dead motherboard with a Albatron KM400 Pro
> >
> > I have an AMD 2000+ CPU, 2 sticks of DDR 256Mb Ram a CD ROM 40GB HDD GF
> > MX4000 128MB Graphics
> >
> > When I try to boot up it wont start XP, (I assume this is because of
major
> > hardware changes),
> > BUT I can not get the machine to Boot from my CD Rom, I changed the boot
sequence settings
> > in the BIOS even hit escape during POST but no affect
> >
> > I cant reinstall XP if I cant boot from CD
> >
> > HELP
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Bernard

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 06:11:14 +1000, "Bernard"

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20010917/

Bernard wrote:

> I have tried another stick of RAM but don't have a spare CPU to try.
>
> Can the CPU being frazzled cause this kind of problem

My first inclination is to say absolutely not, but then I suppose there's
always that residual 1 in a billion chance that applies to just about anything.

> I pinched a HDD out of a computer running ME but it will only start-up in
> safe mode and it still wont boot from the CD Rom

That would be expected. The ME installation isn't right for the motherboard
either and the O.S. has nothing to do with whether the BIOS will boot from
the CD.

I presume you've double checked the CD drive jumpers, that it's properly
set to boot from the CD Drive in BIOS (make it the fist boot device), and
you've tried another IDE cable.

However, some motherboards won't find the CD Drive if it's set to slave
with no master (on the second IDE channel) and some will find it but not
boot from it that way. It's something to try.

Of course, it's also possible the CD Drive is simply defective.

> Cheers
>
> Bernard
>
> "JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
>
>>Are you sure your cpu and or ram aren't also shot?
>>
>>Bernard wrote:
>>

>>>I have just replaced my dead motherboard with a Albatron KM400 Pro
>>>
>>>I have an AMD 2000+ CPU, 2 sticks of DDR 256Mb Ram a CD ROM 40GB HDD GF
>>>MX4000 128MB Graphics
>>>
>>>When I try to boot up it wont start XP, (I assume this is because of
>
> major
>
>>>hardware changes),
>>>BUT I can not get the machine to Boot from my CD Rom, I changed the boot
>
> sequence settings
>
>>>in the BIOS even hit escape during POST but no affect
>>>
>>>I cant reinstall XP if I cant boot from CD
>>>
>>>HELP
>>>
>>>Regards
>>>
>>>Bernard

bernard