XP SP2 - can't ghost drives

I have a pal who is running a beta of SP2 and he says it makes it so he
can't ghost drives anymore.

syncro

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2004

"ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote in message
> I have a pal who is running a beta of SP2 and he says it makes it so he
> can't ghost drives anymore.

May well be a sp2 issiue, perhaps another ghost or cloning utility may
circumvent this. Assuming it's a ntfs format, I may have some optional ghost
utilities available and they may fuction(fat32, also). I've the sp2 as well
but haven't installed it yet, will when play time permits on one of the
guinia pig comps.
Might suggest Acronis, Casper, or Norton Ghost 2003 (or newer) for ntfs.

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 11:00:14 -0400, ToolPackinMama
<laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote:

>I have a pal who is running a beta of SP2 and he says it makes it so he
>can't ghost drives anymore.

SP2 has reportedly gone gold. If there's an incompatibility issue
with SP2 beta, it really should have been forwarded to the development
team in a bug report so they could fix it.

If your pal can get hold of one of the SP2 betas, he's likely got
access to the SP2 final code. Uninstall the beta and see if the issue
remains in the SP2 final. It's supposed to be available to us mere
mortals in a few days through the update site (assuming MS doesn't get
/.'d)

MCheu

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 11:00:14 -0400, ToolPackinMama
<laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote:

>I have a pal who is running a beta of SP2 and he says it makes it so he
>can't ghost drives anymore.

The sad thing is that an old product, Drive Image 2002 works better
than the newer products as it will let me backup and restore drives on
my SATA controller whereas the newer versions of Drive Image and Ghost
choke on the SATA interface.

Also, DI 2002 works with SP2 RTM with both backing up and restoring.

Lastly, I gave up on Ghost after switching to Windows XP in 2001 due
to their lack of support for writing to NTFS. I believe they have
since changed that, but, I have found Drive Image to work so much
better.

Hope that helps you out,
Chris

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 13:59:28 -0500, Chris
<chris@idontlikeusingmyrealemail.com> wrote:

>Drive Image 2002

Hasn't Symantec bought out Power Quest?

"Louise" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message
> In article <41182BB9.24D76AFD@lauragoodwin.org>, laura@lauragoodwin.org
> says...
SNIP

> However, I find myself nervous about changing AV software - guess I've
> been convinced that Norton and AV are synonymous, which I really know is
> kind of ridiculous.
>
> What AV are you using?
>
> Louise

I am using Sygate and AVG, I ditched Norton way back when it started slowing
my machine down.

regards
Freddie