How to change HDD in RAID 1 setup?

After a year, one of my Two 80 Gig Hard Drives failed in RAID 1 (mirror)
configuration. I get a warning on Boot-up that says "Incomplete RAID
configuration", I just assume it's a bad HDD.

Anyway, 3 questions:

1. How do I know WHICH of the 2 HDD's are bad?
2. Can I Hot Swap it? Or how to change it?
3. How does it "re-generate" data from the good HDD?

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about change raid setup

    Bill wrote:

    > After a year, one of my Two 80 Gig Hard Drives failed in RAID 1 (mirror)
    > configuration. I get a warning on Boot-up that says "Incomplete RAID
    > configuration", I just assume it's a bad HDD.
    >
    > Anyway, 3 questions:
    >
    > 1. How do I know WHICH of the 2 HDD's are bad?
    > 2. Can I Hot Swap it? Or how to change it?
    > 3. How does it "re-generate" data from the good HDD?
    >
    > Thanks

    I don't know what your RAID controller is but I would have thought it would
    have some status program that would tell you what's working and what's not,
    like my Promise RAID does.

    Anyway, if not, power it down and remove the cable from one of the drives.
    If it boots then that one must be working, right? Power down, switch which
    drive is plugged in and try to boot again. ONE of them should fail to boot
    if it's defective.

    Hot Swapping requires a hot swap cage (I presume you're using IDE) and the
    controller to understand it. Odds are you don't have hot swap capability.

    As for regenerating the data, I would say, yes, as my Promise does that but
    it's through the same status program and since you haven't mentioned having
    one I don't know.
  2. I also have a question about Raid 1.error came up.Bad sector. press F1 to continue,It boots up fine.Could I just take one hdd out and replace it with a new one of the same
    cap/model, will it put all the info on the new one. then put in the 2nd new one and do
    the same. this way I would change out both old HDD's.
    tks
    John

Homebuilt NAS / RAID Configuration Hard Drives Systems