Tripplite Alarm is driving me nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a Tripplite Smartpro 550 USB UPS that works as designed. When power
is interrupted, the alarm goes off - even if PC is off. The mute button
will turn off alarm, but then unit resets itself when power returns - and
then alarm sounds again when power is interrupted again, and again. This
happened the other night, in middle of night, during a thunderstorm. I was
ready to throw the thing in my pool. I know you can unplug unit and turn it
off, but that's a pain every night.

I'm handicapped and can not open up UPS myself, but can get a friend or my
wife (if I ask nice) to do it. If I cut speaker wire will that screw up the
UPS? Is there any other way to silence this thing? Any suggestions will be
appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve U.

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 23:32:32 GMT, "KeyBored"
<DELETEMEsurgo@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>I have a Tripplite Smartpro 550 USB UPS that works as designed. When power
>is interrupted, the alarm goes off - even if PC is off. The mute button
>will turn off alarm, but then unit resets itself when power returns - and
>then alarm sounds again when power is interrupted again, and again. This
>happened the other night, in middle of night, during a thunderstorm. I was
>ready to throw the thing in my pool. I know you can unplug unit and turn it
>off, but that's a pain every night.
>
>I'm handicapped and can not open up UPS myself, but can get a friend or my
>wife (if I ask nice) to do it. If I cut speaker wire will that screw up the
>UPS? Is there any other way to silence this thing? Any suggestions will be
>appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Steve U.

On some units the alarm will sound if the battery is in need of
replacement... sometimes removing the terminals from the battery and
then connecting them again will reset the alarm..of course you would
remove the unit from the A/C first...
Glenn M

A GREAT DAY FOR FREEDOM...Pink Floyd