Radeon 9800 pro 128 - AGP slot question + Doom 3

Hi,

Can any of you guys tell me if a Radeon 9800 pro 128mb card is compatible in
a agp 4x slot (albeit slower) ??

My motherboard seems only to support AGP x4 and the card states it is AGP x8

my system at the mo is:

Intel pentium 1.9gig processor
768mb ram
Nvidia geoforce 3 ti 300

I really want a performance boost for Doom 3 and Rome Total war stc

Is it worth going for?????

Thanks for your help

Jimbo

jk

If you are very much into Doom 3, then you should upgrade to an Athlon 64
processor.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7

Once you have that and a new motherboard for it, then you should
get a nice video card. An Athlon64 3000+ and a motherboard for it is
only around $250.

Jim N wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can any of you guys tell me if a Radeon 9800 pro 128mb card is compatible in
> a agp 4x slot (albeit slower) ??
>
> My motherboard seems only to support AGP x4 and the card states it is AGP x8
>
> my system at the mo is:
>
> Intel pentium 1.9gig processor
> 768mb ram
> Nvidia geoforce 3 ti 300
>
> I really want a performance boost for Doom 3 and Rome Total war stc
>
> Is it worth going for?????
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Jimbo

> Can any of you guys tell me if a Radeon 9800 pro 128mb card is compatible in
> a agp 4x slot (albeit slower) ??

As far as I know, ALL 8x AGP cards are 4x compatible, and they will NOT
run any slower in a 4x slot. Some 8x are even 2x compatible. Check the
specs for the card it will tell you right on the box (or web page or
whatever).

jk

A Geforce 6800 Ultra or 6800 GT video card together with an Athlon 64
processor would be great for Doom 3.

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQyLDM=

JK wrote:

> If you are very much into Doom 3, then you should upgrade to an Athlon 64
> processor.
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7
>
> Once you have that and a new motherboard for it, then you should
> get a nice video card. An Athlon64 3000+ and a motherboard for it is
> only around $250.
>
> Jim N wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can any of you guys tell me if a Radeon 9800 pro 128mb card is compatible in
> > a agp 4x slot (albeit slower) ??
> >
> > My motherboard seems only to support AGP x4 and the card states it is AGP x8
> >
> > my system at the mo is:
> >
> > Intel pentium 1.9gig processor
> > 768mb ram
> > Nvidia geoforce 3 ti 300
> >
> > I really want a performance boost for Doom 3 and Rome Total war stc
> >
> > Is it worth going for?????
> >
> > Thanks for your help
> >
> > Jimbo

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 18:57:40 -0400, David Besack
<daveREMOVEbesack@mac.com> wrote:

> As far as I know, ALL 8x AGP cards are 4x compatible, and they will NOT
> run any slower in a 4x slot.

Eh?! You've got half the bus bandwidth, of course its gonna run slower...!

> > As far as I know, ALL 8x AGP cards are 4x compatible, and they will NOT
> > run any slower in a 4x slot.
>
> Eh?! You've got half the bus bandwidth, of course its gonna run slower...!

True that the badwidth is half, but untrue that it will always runs slower.
How many cards actually use of all the bandwidth available to them? It's
like saying 3mbps DSL is faster than 1.5 mbps DSL. Yes, but if all you ever
do is check your e-mail, there is no difference.

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 11:07:22 -0400, David Besack <daveREMOVEbesack@mac.com>
wrote:

>> > As far as I know, ALL 8x AGP cards are 4x compatible, and they will
>> NOT
>> > run any slower in a 4x slot.
>>
>> Eh?! You've got half the bus bandwidth, of course its gonna run
>> slower...!
>
> True that the badwidth is half, but untrue that it will always runs
> slower.
> How many cards actually use of all the bandwidth available to them? It's
> like saying 3mbps DSL is faster than 1.5 mbps DSL. Yes, but if all you
> ever
> do is check your e-mail, there is no difference.

OK, I'm going into the realm of educated guessing now, since I haven't
looked up the technicals on the 9800, but I would have thought that one of
the latest cards like this would use more than the 4x bandwidth.

> OK, I'm going into the realm of educated guessing now, since I haven't
> looked up the technicals on the 9800, but I would have thought that one of
> the latest cards like this would use more than the 4x bandwidth.

I don't know exactly either, but I'm sure some of the latest cards out there
now would definitely prove me wrong :)