Weird Wireless Range problem

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Hi, I have a really weird range problem with my wireless network. The best I
can get is a 65% signal at 1 foot away. (When I bring the wireless router
and print server within 1 foot.) When I go about 10 feet away in the same
room it drops to about 32%, and 20 feet away loses the signal altogether.
Now here is the really weird part. If I touch the antennas together and then
move the print server away I get a better than 95%+ signal as far away as 30
feet!!! (The length of my extension cord.) This is through 2 walls and down
a hall.
What should I do? I can't just touch antennas every time there is a power
outage.
I am also having a similar problem with poor connection with another
computer that I want to have on my network. It's about 30' away and it used
to get a really poor signal. For some reason I can't even get a signal
anymore. (After I did some system upgrades.) I haven't tried touching the
antennas because I don't want to try and carry a computer back and forth
with everything attached.
I am using all Dlink equipment.
Dlink DP-G321 Wireless Print Server
Dlink DI-524 Wireless Router
Dlink DWL-G510 Wireless G PCI Adapter (On the 2nd computer that isn't
connecting anymore.)
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank, Sean
9 answers Last reply
More about weird wireless range problem
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    I forgot to mention that I am using Windows XP on the computer that is
    connected to the router and Windows ME or 98 on the computer that was
    working on the network and isn't anymore. (It was ME, I just
    reformatted and re-installed with 98 to see if it made any difference).
    Sean wrote:
    > Hi, I have a really weird range problem with my wireless network. The best I
    > can get is a 65% signal at 1 foot away. (When I bring the wireless router
    > and print server within 1 foot.) When I go about 10 feet away in the same
    > room it drops to about 32%, and 20 feet away loses the signal altogether.
    > Now here is the really weird part. If I touch the antennas together and then
    > move the print server away I get a better than 95%+ signal as far away as 30
    > feet!!! (The length of my extension cord.) This is through 2 walls and down
    > a hall.
    > What should I do? I can't just touch antennas every time there is a power
    > outage.
    > I am also having a similar problem with poor connection with another
    > computer that I want to have on my network. It's about 30' away and it used
    > to get a really poor signal. For some reason I can't even get a signal
    > anymore. (After I did some system upgrades.) I haven't tried touching the
    > antennas because I don't want to try and carry a computer back and forth
    > with everything attached.
    > I am using all Dlink equipment.
    > Dlink DP-G321 Wireless Print Server
    > Dlink DI-524 Wireless Router
    > Dlink DWL-G510 Wireless G PCI Adapter (On the 2nd computer that isn't
    > connecting anymore.)
    > Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    > Thank, Sean
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    n" <seanold@onelink.ca> wrote in message
    news:1120032349.013867.324240@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    >
    > I forgot to mention that I am using Windows XP
    on the computer that is
    > connected to the router and Windows ME or 98 on
    the computer that was
    > working on the network and isn't anymore. (It
    was ME, I just
    > reformatted and re-installed with 98 to see if
    it made any difference).
    > Sean wrote:
    > > Hi, I have a really weird range problem with
    my wireless network. The best I
    > > can get is a 65% signal at 1 foot away. (When
    I bring the wireless router
    > > and print server within 1 foot.) When I go
    about 10 feet away in the same
    > > room it drops to about 32%, and 20 feet away
    loses the signal altogether.
    > > Now here is the really weird part. If I touch
    the antennas together and then
    > > move the print server away I get a better than
    95%+ signal as far away as 30
    > > feet!!! (The length of my extension cord.)
    This is through 2 walls and down
    > > a hall.
    > > What should I do? I can't just touch antennas
    every time there is a power
    > > outage.
    > > I am also having a similar problem with poor
    connection with another
    > > computer that I want to have on my network.
    It's about 30' away and it used
    > > to get a really poor signal. For some reason I
    can't even get a signal
    > > anymore. (After I did some system upgrades.) I
    haven't tried touching the
    > > antennas because I don't want to try and carry
    a computer back and forth
    > > with everything attached.
    > > I am using all Dlink equipment.
    > > Dlink DP-G321 Wireless Print Server
    > > Dlink DI-524 Wireless Router
    > > Dlink DWL-G510 Wireless G PCI Adapter (On the
    2nd computer that isn't
    > > connecting anymore.)
    > > Any help or suggestions would be greatly
    appreciated.
    > > Thank, Sean
    >


    i dont know if this will help, are all your earth
    connections ok, in all the mains plugs?

    roy
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    make sure they are all on the same channel. and try changing the channel,
    it may not be signal strength it may be interference from something else.

    "Sean" <seanold@onelink.ca> wrote in message
    news:P9swe.64177$wr.890@clgrps12...
    > Hi, I have a really weird range problem with my wireless network. The best
    > I can get is a 65% signal at 1 foot away. (When I bring the wireless
    > router and print server within 1 foot.) When I go about 10 feet away in
    > the same room it drops to about 32%, and 20 feet away loses the signal
    > altogether.
    > Now here is the really weird part. If I touch the antennas together and
    > then move the print server away I get a better than 95%+ signal as far
    > away as 30 feet!!! (The length of my extension cord.) This is through 2
    > walls and down a hall.
    > What should I do? I can't just touch antennas every time there is a power
    > outage.
    > I am also having a similar problem with poor connection with another
    > computer that I want to have on my network. It's about 30' away and it
    > used to get a really poor signal. For some reason I can't even get a
    > signal anymore. (After I did some system upgrades.) I haven't tried
    > touching the antennas because I don't want to try and carry a computer
    > back and forth with everything attached.
    > I am using all Dlink equipment.
    > Dlink DP-G321 Wireless Print Server
    > Dlink DI-524 Wireless Router
    > Dlink DWL-G510 Wireless G PCI Adapter (On the 2nd computer that isn't
    > connecting anymore.)
    > Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    > Thank, Sean
    >
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Hi
    http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).


    "Sean" <seanold@onelink.ca> wrote in message
    news:1120032349.013867.324240@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    >
    > I forgot to mention that I am using Windows XP on the computer that is
    > connected to the router and Windows ME or 98 on the computer that was
    > working on the network and isn't anymore. (It was ME, I just
    > reformatted and re-installed with 98 to see if it made any difference).
    > Sean wrote:
    > > Hi, I have a really weird range problem with my wireless network. The best I
    > > can get is a 65% signal at 1 foot away. (When I bring the wireless router
    > > and print server within 1 foot.) When I go about 10 feet away in the same
    > > room it drops to about 32%, and 20 feet away loses the signal altogether.
    > > Now here is the really weird part. If I touch the antennas together and then
    > > move the print server away I get a better than 95%+ signal as far away as 30
    > > feet!!! (The length of my extension cord.) This is through 2 walls and down
    > > a hall.
    > > What should I do? I can't just touch antennas every time there is a power
    > > outage.
    > > I am also having a similar problem with poor connection with another
    > > computer that I want to have on my network. It's about 30' away and it used
    > > to get a really poor signal. For some reason I can't even get a signal
    > > anymore. (After I did some system upgrades.) I haven't tried touching the
    > > antennas because I don't want to try and carry a computer back and forth
    > > with everything attached.
    > > I am using all Dlink equipment.
    > > Dlink DP-G321 Wireless Print Server
    > > Dlink DI-524 Wireless Router
    > > Dlink DWL-G510 Wireless G PCI Adapter (On the 2nd computer that isn't
    > > connecting anymore.)
    > > Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    > > Thank, Sean
    >
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Unfortunately that doesn't work. I have tried a bunch of channels without
    success. (1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 10)
    Thanks for the suggestion though).
    Sean.

    "Dave" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    news:%23OCZ5nJfFHA.268@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > make sure they are all on the same channel. and try changing the channel,
    > it may not be signal strength it may be interference from something else.
    >
    > "Sean" <seanold@onelink.ca> wrote in message
    > news:P9swe.64177$wr.890@clgrps12...
    >> Hi, I have a really weird range problem with my wireless network. The
    >> best I can get is a 65% signal at 1 foot away. (When I bring the wireless
    >> router and print server within 1 foot.) When I go about 10 feet away in
    >> the same room it drops to about 32%, and 20 feet away loses the signal
    >> altogether.
    >> Now here is the really weird part. If I touch the antennas together and
    >> then move the print server away I get a better than 95%+ signal as far
    >> away as 30 feet!!! (The length of my extension cord.) This is through 2
    >> walls and down a hall.
    >> What should I do? I can't just touch antennas every time there is a power
    >> outage.
    >> I am also having a similar problem with poor connection with another
    >> computer that I want to have on my network. It's about 30' away and it
    >> used to get a really poor signal. For some reason I can't even get a
    >> signal anymore. (After I did some system upgrades.) I haven't tried
    >> touching the antennas because I don't want to try and carry a computer
    >> back and forth with everything attached.
    >> I am using all Dlink equipment.
    >> Dlink DP-G321 Wireless Print Server
    >> Dlink DI-524 Wireless Router
    >> Dlink DWL-G510 Wireless G PCI Adapter (On the 2nd computer that isn't
    >> connecting anymore.)
    >> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >> Thank, Sean
    >>
    >
    >
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Yep, everything is securely plugged in.
    Sean.

    "Roy Collingwood" <roy@roycollingwood.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:uZGdnRHVq81H_V_fRVnysQ@brightview.com...
    > n" <seanold@onelink.ca> wrote in message
    > news:1120032349.013867.324240@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    >>
    >> I forgot to mention that I am using Windows XP
    > on the computer that is
    >> connected to the router and Windows ME or 98 on
    > the computer that was
    >> working on the network and isn't anymore. (It
    > was ME, I just
    >> reformatted and re-installed with 98 to see if
    > it made any difference).
    >> Sean wrote:
    >> > Hi, I have a really weird range problem with
    > my wireless network. The best I
    >> > can get is a 65% signal at 1 foot away. (When
    > I bring the wireless router
    >> > and print server within 1 foot.) When I go
    > about 10 feet away in the same
    >> > room it drops to about 32%, and 20 feet away
    > loses the signal altogether.
    >> > Now here is the really weird part. If I touch
    > the antennas together and then
    >> > move the print server away I get a better than
    > 95%+ signal as far away as 30
    >> > feet!!! (The length of my extension cord.)
    > This is through 2 walls and down
    >> > a hall.
    >> > What should I do? I can't just touch antennas
    > every time there is a power
    >> > outage.
    >> > I am also having a similar problem with poor
    > connection with another
    >> > computer that I want to have on my network.
    > It's about 30' away and it used
    >> > to get a really poor signal. For some reason I
    > can't even get a signal
    >> > anymore. (After I did some system upgrades.) I
    > haven't tried touching the
    >> > antennas because I don't want to try and carry
    > a computer back and forth
    >> > with everything attached.
    >> > I am using all Dlink equipment.
    >> > Dlink DP-G321 Wireless Print Server
    >> > Dlink DI-524 Wireless Router
    >> > Dlink DWL-G510 Wireless G PCI Adapter (On the
    > 2nd computer that isn't
    >> > connecting anymore.)
    >> > Any help or suggestions would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >> > Thank, Sean
    >>
    >
    >
    > i dont know if this will help, are all your earth
    > connections ok, in all the mains plugs?
    >
    > roy
    >
    >
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Thanks for the link. Unfortunately that website does not explain why I get a
    fantastic signal and much greater range after touching the annentas.
    I could understand requiring range extenders, repeaters and extra routers if
    I got a complete drop off in signal after 20 feet (and absolutely no
    connection), and nothing could be done about it. But when I get a fantastic
    signal after 30 feet and a good strong connection with good transfer speed
    just after touching the antennas, it seems to me that there is another
    problem.
    Sean.
    "Jack (MVP)" <Jack(MVP)@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
    news:OMJ8VuLfFHA.2392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Hi
    > http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    >
    > "Sean" <seanold@onelink.ca> wrote in message
    > news:1120032349.013867.324240@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    >>
    >> I forgot to mention that I am using Windows XP on the computer that is
    >> connected to the router and Windows ME or 98 on the computer that was
    >> working on the network and isn't anymore. (It was ME, I just
    >> reformatted and re-installed with 98 to see if it made any difference).
    >> Sean wrote:
    >> > Hi, I have a really weird range problem with my wireless network. The
    >> > best I
    >> > can get is a 65% signal at 1 foot away. (When I bring the wireless
    >> > router
    >> > and print server within 1 foot.) When I go about 10 feet away in the
    >> > same
    >> > room it drops to about 32%, and 20 feet away loses the signal
    >> > altogether.
    >> > Now here is the really weird part. If I touch the antennas together and
    >> > then
    >> > move the print server away I get a better than 95%+ signal as far away
    >> > as 30
    >> > feet!!! (The length of my extension cord.) This is through 2 walls and
    >> > down
    >> > a hall.
    >> > What should I do? I can't just touch antennas every time there is a
    >> > power
    >> > outage.
    >> > I am also having a similar problem with poor connection with another
    >> > computer that I want to have on my network. It's about 30' away and it
    >> > used
    >> > to get a really poor signal. For some reason I can't even get a signal
    >> > anymore. (After I did some system upgrades.) I haven't tried touching
    >> > the
    >> > antennas because I don't want to try and carry a computer back and
    >> > forth
    >> > with everything attached.
    >> > I am using all Dlink equipment.
    >> > Dlink DP-G321 Wireless Print Server
    >> > Dlink DI-524 Wireless Router
    >> > Dlink DWL-G510 Wireless G PCI Adapter (On the 2nd computer that isn't
    >> > connecting anymore.)
    >> > Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >> > Thank, Sean
    >>
    >
    >
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Hi

    Given certain lucky parameters touching the Antenna is creating a bigger Antenna and
    improves signal propagation.

    That leads to two options.

    1. Hire someone to standby and touch the Antenna when you are using the Wireless.;)

    2. Buy a better Antenna, and or more hardware as suggested in the pages that I linked
    before.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).


    "Sean" <seanold@onelink.ca> wrote in message news:c0Awe.115239$on1.5870@clgrps13...
    > Thanks for the link. Unfortunately that website does not explain why I get a
    > fantastic signal and much greater range after touching the annentas.
    > I could understand requiring range extenders, repeaters and extra routers if
    > I got a complete drop off in signal after 20 feet (and absolutely no
    > connection), and nothing could be done about it. But when I get a fantastic
    > signal after 30 feet and a good strong connection with good transfer speed
    > just after touching the antennas, it seems to me that there is another
    > problem.
    > Sean.
    > "Jack (MVP)" <Jack(MVP)@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
    > news:OMJ8VuLfFHA.2392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > > Hi
    > > http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html
    > > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    > >
    > >
    > > "Sean" <seanold@onelink.ca> wrote in message
    > > news:1120032349.013867.324240@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    > >>
    > >> I forgot to mention that I am using Windows XP on the computer that is
    > >> connected to the router and Windows ME or 98 on the computer that was
    > >> working on the network and isn't anymore. (It was ME, I just
    > >> reformatted and re-installed with 98 to see if it made any difference).
    > >> Sean wrote:
    > >> > Hi, I have a really weird range problem with my wireless network. The
    > >> > best I
    > >> > can get is a 65% signal at 1 foot away. (When I bring the wireless
    > >> > router
    > >> > and print server within 1 foot.) When I go about 10 feet away in the
    > >> > same
    > >> > room it drops to about 32%, and 20 feet away loses the signal
    > >> > altogether.
    > >> > Now here is the really weird part. If I touch the antennas together and
    > >> > then
    > >> > move the print server away I get a better than 95%+ signal as far away
    > >> > as 30
    > >> > feet!!! (The length of my extension cord.) This is through 2 walls and
    > >> > down
    > >> > a hall.
    > >> > What should I do? I can't just touch antennas every time there is a
    > >> > power
    > >> > outage.
    > >> > I am also having a similar problem with poor connection with another
    > >> > computer that I want to have on my network. It's about 30' away and it
    > >> > used
    > >> > to get a really poor signal. For some reason I can't even get a signal
    > >> > anymore. (After I did some system upgrades.) I haven't tried touching
    > >> > the
    > >> > antennas because I don't want to try and carry a computer back and
    > >> > forth
    > >> > with everything attached.
    > >> > I am using all Dlink equipment.
    > >> > Dlink DP-G321 Wireless Print Server
    > >> > Dlink DI-524 Wireless Router
    > >> > Dlink DWL-G510 Wireless G PCI Adapter (On the 2nd computer that isn't
    > >> > connecting anymore.)
    > >> > Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    > >> > Thank, Sean
    > >>
    > >
    > >
    >
    >
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    If when you say "touching" you mean physically touching the antenna, that
    would lead me to believe you were dissipating some type of static charge.
    An earlier poster suggested making sure you had a good ground. Can you
    touch just the router and get the same results? If you only get the signal
    while you are in contact with the antenna, you are probably making yourself
    one.

    Some routers have a way to adjust the antenna internally for a better
    signal, does yours have that? Do you have the antenna perpendicular to the
    signal travel?

    Did you put the antenna on, and have you checked to make sure you weren't
    missing a washer or some other type of small insulator?

    There may be a bad connection in the path. If it is actually in the
    antenna, you could replace them, but if it is in the box, you probably need
    to exchange it.

    Clark

    There may be a bad connection or capacitor inside the box which could cause
    this type of problem.
    "Sean" <seanold@onelink.ca> wrote in message
    news:c0Awe.115239$on1.5870@clgrps13...
    > Thanks for the link. Unfortunately that website does not explain why I get
    > a fantastic signal and much greater range after touching the annentas.
    > I could understand requiring range extenders, repeaters and extra routers
    > if I got a complete drop off in signal after 20 feet (and absolutely no
    > connection), and nothing could be done about it. But when I get a
    > fantastic signal after 30 feet and a good strong connection with good
    > transfer speed just after touching the antennas, it seems to me that there
    > is another problem.
    > Sean.
    > "Jack (MVP)" <Jack(MVP)@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
    > news:OMJ8VuLfFHA.2392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >> Hi
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >>
    >> "Sean" <seanold@onelink.ca> wrote in message
    >> news:1120032349.013867.324240@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    >>>
    >>> I forgot to mention that I am using Windows XP on the computer that is
    >>> connected to the router and Windows ME or 98 on the computer that was
    >>> working on the network and isn't anymore. (It was ME, I just
    >>> reformatted and re-installed with 98 to see if it made any difference).
    >>> Sean wrote:
    >>> > Hi, I have a really weird range problem with my wireless network. The
    >>> > best I
    >>> > can get is a 65% signal at 1 foot away. (When I bring the wireless
    >>> > router
    >>> > and print server within 1 foot.) When I go about 10 feet away in the
    >>> > same
    >>> > room it drops to about 32%, and 20 feet away loses the signal
    >>> > altogether.
    >>> > Now here is the really weird part. If I touch the antennas together
    >>> > and then
    >>> > move the print server away I get a better than 95%+ signal as far away
    >>> > as 30
    >>> > feet!!! (The length of my extension cord.) This is through 2 walls and
    >>> > down
    >>> > a hall.
    >>> > What should I do? I can't just touch antennas every time there is a
    >>> > power
    >>> > outage.
    >>> > I am also having a similar problem with poor connection with another
    >>> > computer that I want to have on my network. It's about 30' away and it
    >>> > used
    >>> > to get a really poor signal. For some reason I can't even get a signal
    >>> > anymore. (After I did some system upgrades.) I haven't tried touching
    >>> > the
    >>> > antennas because I don't want to try and carry a computer back and
    >>> > forth
    >>> > with everything attached.
    >>> > I am using all Dlink equipment.
    >>> > Dlink DP-G321 Wireless Print Server
    >>> > Dlink DI-524 Wireless Router
    >>> > Dlink DWL-G510 Wireless G PCI Adapter (On the 2nd computer that isn't
    >>> > connecting anymore.)
    >>> > Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >>> > Thank, Sean
    >>>
    >>
    >>
    >
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Wireless Wireless Networking