Weird Wireless Range problem

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
June 29, 2005 11:34:07 AM

Hi, I have a really weird range problem with my wireless network. The best I
can get is a 65% signal at 1 foot away. (When I bring the wireless router
and print server within 1 foot.) When I go about 10 feet away in the same
room it drops to about 32%, and 20 feet away loses the signal altogether.
Now here is the really weird part. If I touch the antennas together and then
move the print server away I get a better than 95%+ signal as far away as 30
feet!!! (The length of my extension cord.) This is through 2 walls and down
a hall.
What should I do? I can't just touch antennas every time there is a power
outage.
I am also having a similar problem with poor connection with another
computer that I want to have on my network. It's about 30' away and it used
to get a really poor signal. For some reason I can't even get a signal
anymore. (After I did some system upgrades.) I haven't tried touching the
antennas because I don't want to try and carry a computer back and forth
with everything attached.
I am using all Dlink equipment.
Dlink DP-G321 Wireless Print Server
Dlink DI-524 Wireless Router
Dlink DWL-G510 Wireless G PCI Adapter (On the 2nd computer that isn't
connecting anymore.)
Thank, Sean
June 29, 2005 11:34:08 AM

I forgot to mention that I am using Windows XP on the computer that is
connected to the router and Windows ME or 98 on the computer that was
working on the network and isn't anymore. (It was ME, I just
reformatted and re-installed with 98 to see if it made any difference).
Sean wrote:
> Hi, I have a really weird range problem with my wireless network. The best I
> can get is a 65% signal at 1 foot away. (When I bring the wireless router
> and print server within 1 foot.) When I go about 10 feet away in the same
> room it drops to about 32%, and 20 feet away loses the signal altogether.
> Now here is the really weird part. If I touch the antennas together and then
> move the print server away I get a better than 95%+ signal as far away as 30
> feet!!! (The length of my extension cord.) This is through 2 walls and down
> a hall.
> What should I do? I can't just touch antennas every time there is a power
> outage.
> I am also having a similar problem with poor connection with another
> computer that I want to have on my network. It's about 30' away and it used
> to get a really poor signal. For some reason I can't even get a signal
> anymore. (After I did some system upgrades.) I haven't tried touching the
> antennas because I don't want to try and carry a computer back and forth
> with everything attached.
> I am using all Dlink equipment.
> Dlink DP-G321 Wireless Print Server
> Dlink DI-524 Wireless Router
> Dlink DWL-G510 Wireless G PCI Adapter (On the 2nd computer that isn't
> connecting anymore.)
> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> Thank, Sean
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 29, 2005 1:52:48 PM

n" <seanold@onelink.ca> wrote in message

> I forgot to mention that I am using Windows XP
on the computer that is
> connected to the router and Windows ME or 98 on
the computer that was
> working on the network and isn't anymore. (It
was ME, I just
> reformatted and re-installed with 98 to see if
it made any difference).
> Sean wrote:
> > Hi, I have a really weird range problem with
my wireless network. The best I
> > can get is a 65% signal at 1 foot away. (When
I bring the wireless router
> > and print server within 1 foot.) When I go
about 10 feet away in the same
> > room it drops to about 32%, and 20 feet away
loses the signal altogether.
> > Now here is the really weird part. If I touch
the antennas together and then
> > move the print server away I get a better than
95%+ signal as far away as 30
> > feet!!! (The length of my extension cord.)
This is through 2 walls and down
> > a hall.
> > What should I do? I can't just touch antennas
every time there is a power
> > outage.
> > I am also having a similar problem with poor
connection with another
> > computer that I want to have on my network.
It's about 30' away and it used
> > to get a really poor signal. For some reason I
can't even get a signal
> > anymore. (After I did some system upgrades.) I
haven't tried touching the
> > antennas because I don't want to try and carry
a computer back and forth
> > with everything attached.
> > I am using all Dlink equipment.
> > Dlink DP-G321 Wireless Print Server
> > Dlink DI-524 Wireless Router
> > Dlink DWL-G510 Wireless G PCI Adapter (On the
2nd computer that isn't
> > connecting anymore.)
> > Any help or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.
> > Thank, Sean

i dont know if this will help, are all your earth
connections ok, in all the mains plugs?

roy
Related resources
June 29, 2005 3:01:52 PM

make sure they are all on the same channel. and try changing the channel,
it may not be signal strength it may be interference from something else.

"Sean" <seanold@onelink.ca> wrote in message
news:p 9swe.64177$wr.890@clgrps12...
> Hi, I have a really weird range problem with my wireless network. The best
> I can get is a 65% signal at 1 foot away. (When I bring the wireless
> router and print server within 1 foot.) When I go about 10 feet away in
> the same room it drops to about 32%, and 20 feet away loses the signal
> altogether.
> Now here is the really weird part. If I touch the antennas together and
> then move the print server away I get a better than 95%+ signal as far
> away as 30 feet!!! (The length of my extension cord.) This is through 2
> walls and down a hall.
> What should I do? I can't just touch antennas every time there is a power
> outage.
> I am also having a similar problem with poor connection with another
> computer that I want to have on my network. It's about 30' away and it
> used to get a really poor signal. For some reason I can't even get a
> signal anymore. (After I did some system upgrades.) I haven't tried
> touching the antennas because I don't want to try and carry a computer
> back and forth with everything attached.
> I am using all Dlink equipment.
> Dlink DP-G321 Wireless Print Server
> Dlink DI-524 Wireless Router
> Dlink DWL-G510 Wireless G PCI Adapter (On the 2nd computer that isn't
> connecting anymore.)
> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> Thank, Sean

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 29, 2005 3:03:30 PM

Hi
http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Sean" <seanold@onelink.ca> wrote in message

> I forgot to mention that I am using Windows XP on the computer that is
> connected to the router and Windows ME or 98 on the computer that was
> working on the network and isn't anymore. (It was ME, I just
> reformatted and re-installed with 98 to see if it made any difference).
> Sean wrote:
> > Hi, I have a really weird range problem with my wireless network. The best I
> > can get is a 65% signal at 1 foot away. (When I bring the wireless router
> > and print server within 1 foot.) When I go about 10 feet away in the same
> > room it drops to about 32%, and 20 feet away loses the signal altogether.
> > Now here is the really weird part. If I touch the antennas together and then
> > move the print server away I get a better than 95%+ signal as far away as 30
> > feet!!! (The length of my extension cord.) This is through 2 walls and down
> > a hall.
> > What should I do? I can't just touch antennas every time there is a power
> > outage.
> > I am also having a similar problem with poor connection with another
> > computer that I want to have on my network. It's about 30' away and it used
> > to get a really poor signal. For some reason I can't even get a signal
> > anymore. (After I did some system upgrades.) I haven't tried touching the
> > antennas because I don't want to try and carry a computer back and forth
> > with everything attached.
> > I am using all Dlink equipment.
> > Dlink DP-G321 Wireless Print Server
> > Dlink DI-524 Wireless Router
> > Dlink DWL-G510 Wireless G PCI Adapter (On the 2nd computer that isn't
> > connecting anymore.)
> > Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> > Thank, Sean

June 29, 2005 8:20:38 PM

Unfortunately that doesn't work. I have tried a bunch of channels without
success. (1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 10)
Thanks for the suggestion though).
Sean.

"Dave" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> make sure they are all on the same channel. and try changing the channel,
> it may not be signal strength it may be interference from something else.
>
> "Sean" <seanold@onelink.ca> wrote in message
> news:p 9swe.64177$wr.890@clgrps12...
>> Hi, I have a really weird range problem with my wireless network. The
>> best I can get is a 65% signal at 1 foot away. (When I bring the wireless
>> router and print server within 1 foot.) When I go about 10 feet away in
>> the same room it drops to about 32%, and 20 feet away loses the signal
>> altogether.
>> Now here is the really weird part. If I touch the antennas together and
>> then move the print server away I get a better than 95%+ signal as far
>> away as 30 feet!!! (The length of my extension cord.) This is through 2
>> walls and down a hall.
>> What should I do? I can't just touch antennas every time there is a power
>> outage.
>> I am also having a similar problem with poor connection with another
>> computer that I want to have on my network. It's about 30' away and it
>> used to get a really poor signal. For some reason I can't even get a
>> signal anymore. (After I did some system upgrades.) I haven't tried
>> touching the antennas because I don't want to try and carry a computer
>> back and forth with everything attached.
>> I am using all Dlink equipment.
>> Dlink DP-G321 Wireless Print Server
>> Dlink DI-524 Wireless Router
>> Dlink DWL-G510 Wireless G PCI Adapter (On the 2nd computer that isn't
>> connecting anymore.)
>> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>> Thank, Sean

June 29, 2005 8:21:50 PM

Yep, everything is securely plugged in.
Sean.

"Roy Collingwood" <roy@roycollingwood.co.uk> wrote in message
> n" <seanold@onelink.ca> wrote in message
>>
>> I forgot to mention that I am using Windows XP
> on the computer that is
>> connected to the router and Windows ME or 98 on
> the computer that was
>> working on the network and isn't anymore. (It
> was ME, I just
>> reformatted and re-installed with 98 to see if
> it made any difference).
>> Sean wrote:
>> > Hi, I have a really weird range problem with
> my wireless network. The best I
>> > can get is a 65% signal at 1 foot away. (When
> I bring the wireless router
>> > and print server within 1 foot.) When I go
> about 10 feet away in the same
>> > room it drops to about 32%, and 20 feet away
> loses the signal altogether.
>> > Now here is the really weird part. If I touch
> the antennas together and then
>> > move the print server away I get a better than
> 95%+ signal as far away as 30
>> > feet!!! (The length of my extension cord.)
> This is through 2 walls and down
>> > a hall.
>> > What should I do? I can't just touch antennas
> every time there is a power
>> > outage.
>> > I am also having a similar problem with poor
> connection with another
>> > computer that I want to have on my network.
> It's about 30' away and it used
>> > to get a really poor signal. For some reason I
> can't even get a signal
>> > anymore. (After I did some system upgrades.) I
> haven't tried touching the
>> > antennas because I don't want to try and carry
> a computer back and forth
>> > with everything attached.
>> > I am using all Dlink equipment.
>> > Dlink DP-G321 Wireless Print Server
>> > Dlink DI-524 Wireless Router
>> > Dlink DWL-G510 Wireless G PCI Adapter (On the
> 2nd computer that isn't
>> > connecting anymore.)
>> > Any help or suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated.
>> > Thank, Sean
>>

> i dont know if this will help, are all your earth
> connections ok, in all the mains plugs?
>
> roy

June 29, 2005 8:30:00 PM

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately that website does not explain why I get a
fantastic signal and much greater range after touching the annentas.
I could understand requiring range extenders, repeaters and extra routers if
I got a complete drop off in signal after 20 feet (and absolutely no
connection), and nothing could be done about it. But when I get a fantastic
signal after 30 feet and a good strong connection with good transfer speed
just after touching the antennas, it seems to me that there is another
problem.
Sean.
"Jack (MVP)" <Jack(MVP)@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
news:o MJ8VuLfFHA.2392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi
> http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Sean" <seanold@onelink.ca> wrote in message
>>
>> I forgot to mention that I am using Windows XP on the computer that is
>> connected to the router and Windows ME or 98 on the computer that was
>> working on the network and isn't anymore. (It was ME, I just
>> reformatted and re-installed with 98 to see if it made any difference).
>> Sean wrote:
>> > Hi, I have a really weird range problem with my wireless network. The
>> > best I
>> > can get is a 65% signal at 1 foot away. (When I bring the wireless
>> > router
>> > and print server within 1 foot.) When I go about 10 feet away in the
>> > same
>> > room it drops to about 32%, and 20 feet away loses the signal
>> > altogether.
>> > Now here is the really weird part. If I touch the antennas together and
>> > then
>> > move the print server away I get a better than 95%+ signal as far away
>> > as 30
>> > feet!!! (The length of my extension cord.) This is through 2 walls and
>> > down
>> > a hall.
>> > What should I do? I can't just touch antennas every time there is a
>> > power
>> > outage.
>> > I am also having a similar problem with poor connection with another
>> > computer that I want to have on my network. It's about 30' away and it
>> > used
>> > to get a really poor signal. For some reason I can't even get a signal
>> > anymore. (After I did some system upgrades.) I haven't tried touching
>> > the
>> > antennas because I don't want to try and carry a computer back and
>> > forth
>> > with everything attached.
>> > I am using all Dlink equipment.
>> > Dlink DP-G321 Wireless Print Server
>> > Dlink DI-524 Wireless Router
>> > Dlink DWL-G510 Wireless G PCI Adapter (On the 2nd computer that isn't
>> > connecting anymore.)
>> > Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>> > Thank, Sean

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 29, 2005 8:30:01 PM

Hi

Given certain lucky parameters touching the Antenna is creating a bigger Antenna and
improves signal propagation.

That leads to two options.

1. Hire someone to standby and touch the Antenna when you are using the Wireless.;)

2. Buy a better Antenna, and or more hardware as suggested in the pages that I linked
before.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Sean" <seanold@onelink.ca> wrote in message news:c0Awe.115239$on1.5870@clgrps13...
> Thanks for the link. Unfortunately that website does not explain why I get a
> fantastic signal and much greater range after touching the annentas.
> I could understand requiring range extenders, repeaters and extra routers if
> I got a complete drop off in signal after 20 feet (and absolutely no
> connection), and nothing could be done about it. But when I get a fantastic
> signal after 30 feet and a good strong connection with good transfer speed
> just after touching the antennas, it seems to me that there is another
> problem.
> Sean.
> "Jack (MVP)" <Jack(MVP)@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
> news:o MJ8VuLfFHA.2392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > Hi
> > http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html
> > Jack (MVP-Networking).
> >

> > "Sean" <seanold@onelink.ca> wrote in message
> >>
> >> I forgot to mention that I am using Windows XP on the computer that is
> >> connected to the router and Windows ME or 98 on the computer that was
> >> working on the network and isn't anymore. (It was ME, I just
> >> reformatted and re-installed with 98 to see if it made any difference).

June 29, 2005 10:47:09 PM

If when you say "touching" you mean physically touching the antenna, that
would lead me to believe you were dissipating some type of static charge.
An earlier poster suggested making sure you had a good ground. Can you
touch just the router and get the same results? If you only get the signal
while you are in contact with the antenna, you are probably making yourself
one.

Some routers have a way to adjust the antenna internally for a better
signal, does yours have that? Do you have the antenna perpendicular to the
signal travel?

Did you put the antenna on, and have you checked to make sure you weren't
missing a washer or some other type of small insulator?

There may be a bad connection in the path. If it is actually in the
antenna, you could replace them, but if it is in the box, you probably need
to exchange it.

Clark

There may be a bad connection or capacitor inside the box which could cause
this type of problem.

!