Will Old HD Work With New MB?

jeff

Hello,

I have a Windows 2000 Server box that I'm thinking of upgrading my old
motherboard with an Asus and an Intel P4 processor.

I have data on my current hard drive. Will I be able to just plug my old
hard drive in and see the OS and data, or will I have to repartition, etc.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a Windows 2000 Server box that I'm thinking of upgrading my old
> motherboard with an Asus and an Intel P4 processor.
>
> I have data on my current hard drive. Will I be able to just plug my old
> hard drive in and see the OS and data, or will I have to repartition, etc.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

You'll need to do a 'repair' reinstall of Windows so it detects and
rebuilds the hardware abstraction layer.

I'm going to be doing the same thing too, but with XP. You'll probably have
to do a repair install of windows,
something about the Hardware Abstraction Layer.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, heh.