CRT vs LCD Monitor

I will be getting a new monitor soon and I have read that CRT monitors
are better for graphics. As I will be using it much of the time for
viewing/processing scanned slides and negs I would like to know how
big the difference is. I will not be using it for games so it is
mainly the still images I am interested in using it for.

Thanks
Mike
6 answers Last reply
More about monitor

    On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 07:20:55 GMT, mmjmm@ozemail.com.au wrote:

    > I will be getting a new monitor soon and I have read that CRT monitors
    > are better for graphics. As I will be using it much of the time for
    > viewing/processing scanned slides and negs I would like to know how
    > big the difference is. I will not be using it for games so it is
    > mainly the still images I am interested in using it for.

    Then CRT is the best for you.

    "Ken" <___ken3@telia.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 07:20:55 GMT, mmjmm@ozemail.com.au wrote:
    >
    > > I will be getting a new monitor soon and I have read that CRT monitors
    > > are better for graphics. As I will be using it much of the time for
    > > viewing/processing scanned slides and negs I would like to know how
    > > big the difference is. I will not be using it for games so it is
    > > mainly the still images I am interested in using it for.
    >
    > Then CRT is the best for you.

    Based on what?
    I find that LCD shows up more vibrant images than a CRT. I have CRT at home
    and LCD at work.

    Scott

    Two problems with lcd monitor use for editing photos. The first is
    that colors tend to change in appearance depending on your
    viewing angle, and most lcd monitors that are 19" have
    a 1280x1024 resolution. The lcd monitors with higher resolution
    are much more expensive. One can get a nice 19" crt monitor
    for only around $250 that will give a high refresh rate at 1600x1200.
    A good 20" 1600x1200 lcd monitor will cost at least $870. I
    didn't see any in 19".

    Scott wrote:

    > "Ken" <___ken3@telia.com> wrote in message
    > > On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 07:20:55 GMT, mmjmm@ozemail.com.au wrote:
    > >
    > > > I will be getting a new monitor soon and I have read that CRT monitors
    > > > are better for graphics. As I will be using it much of the time for
    > > > viewing/processing scanned slides and negs I would like to know how
    > > > big the difference is. I will not be using it for games so it is
    > > > mainly the still images I am interested in using it for.
    > >
    > > Then CRT is the best for you.
    > >

    > Based on what?
    > I find that LCD shows up more vibrant images than a CRT. I have CRT at home
    > and LCD at work.
    >
    > Scott

    It all depends what your priorities are. Since you intend to use it for
    high-end graphics work, I think CRT is the way to go. Both CRTs and LCDs
    support high-resolution (1600x1200), but the photo quality on CRTs just seems
    more realistic to me. The big disadvantage with CRT is that they are analog
    devices, so you wont be able to take advantage of the DVI interface. They also
    are rather heavy and produce a lot of heat.

    LCDs have the advantage of being lightweight and produce little heat. Most of
    them are pure digital displays, so you can take advantage of the DVI interface
    if you have a video card with that connector (most do).

    I still prefer CRT over LCD because of the "price per quality per screen size"
    factor over expensive LCDs. Just basing things on what you intend to do with a
    monitor, I say buy a nice 21" CRT from a reputable manufacturer and enjoy the
    view.

    Happy shopping.....

    <mmjmm@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    > I will be getting a new monitor soon and I have read that CRT monitors
    > are better for graphics. As I will be using it much of the time for
    > viewing/processing scanned slides and negs I would like to know how
    > big the difference is. I will not be using it for games so it is
    > mainly the still images I am interested in using it for.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mike

    On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 12:16:55 +0000 (UTC), "Scott"
    <pawsandclawsremovethis@btconnect.com> wrote:

    >"Ken" <___ken3@telia.com> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 07:20:55 GMT, mmjmm@ozemail.com.au wrote:
    >>
    >> > I will be getting a new monitor soon and I have read that CRT monitors
    >> > are better for graphics. As I will be using it much of the time for
    >> > viewing/processing scanned slides and negs I would like to know how
    >> > big the difference is. I will not be using it for games so it is
    >> > mainly the still images I am interested in using it for.
    >>
    >> Then CRT is the best for you.
    >>

    >Based on what?
    >I find that LCD shows up more vibrant images than a CRT. I have CRT at home
    >and LCD at work.
    >
    >Scott

    LCD's can't come close to the gamma curves of CRT displays.
    That's why CRT displays are used in critical work where color fidelity
    is a must.

    I still prefer a 13" monochrome. :)

Homebuilt LCD Monitor CRT Monitors Systems Product