Want cheap ink to refill HP inkjet

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I am surprised at how expensive most dealers are for ink to refill
HP inkjets.

Are there any decent UK suppliers who do not charge an arm and a
leg for a bottle of inkjet ink?
15 answers Last reply
More about want cheap refill inkjet
  1. Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Max -" <max.headroom@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am surprised at how expensive most dealers are for ink to refill
    > HP inkjets.
    >
    > Are there any decent UK suppliers who do not charge an arm and a
    > leg for a bottle of inkjet ink?

    http://www.choicestationery.com/
  2. Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Max -" <max.headroom@microsoft.com> wrote in

    > I am surprised at how expensive most dealers are for ink to refill
    > HP inkjets.
    >
    > Are there any decent UK suppliers who do not charge an arm and a
    > leg for a bottle of inkjet ink?

    See:
    http://forum.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Print
  3. Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:51:36 +0100, "Max -"
    <max.headroom@microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I am surprised at how expensive most dealers are for ink to refill
    >HP inkjets.
    >
    >Are there any decent UK suppliers who do not charge an arm and a
    >leg for a bottle of inkjet ink?

    in the long run youd be far better off ditching it and getting an
    epson.
  4. Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    sam1967@hetnet.nl wrote:

    > in the long run youd be far better off ditching it and getting
    > an epson.

    How is an Epson noticeably cheaper to run than an HP?
  5. Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:30:24 +0100, "Max -"
    <max.headroom@microsoft.com> wrote:

    >> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:51:36 +0100, "Max" wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I am surprised at how expensive most dealers are for ink to
    >>> refill HP inkjets.
    >>>
    >>> Are there any decent UK suppliers who do not charge an arm and
    >>> a leg for a bottle of inkjet ink?
    >

    >sam1967@hetnet.nl wrote:
    >>
    >> in the long run youd be far better off ditching it and getting
    >> an epson.
    >>

    >How is an Epson noticeably cheaper to run than an HP?

    It's not, Epson's are much worse. Utter garbage.
    If you want to go to a different printer try Lexmark if you're
    outputing photo-images etc...
    If printing simple stuff like text get a Canon.

    Have you tried Nujet.com for your ink?
    Also try MIS:

    http://www.missupply.com/store.cgi
  6. Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    gothika wrote:

    > On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:30:24 +0100, "Max -"
    > <max.headroom@microsoft.com> wrote:

    >>sam1967@hetnet.nl wrote:
    >>>
    >>> in the long run youd be far better off ditching it and getting
    >>> an epson.
    >>>

    >>How is an Epson noticeably cheaper to run than an HP?
    >
    > It's not, Epson's are much worse. Utter garbage.
    > If you want to go to a different printer try Lexmark if you're
    > outputing photo-images etc...
    > If printing simple stuff like text get a Canon.

    Lexmark? This is a weird thread... previous comments I've seen on Lexmark
    have related to high prices and mediocre quality.

    As for Epson, my old 740 proved very unreliable. Probably due to the
    compatible carts, which seemed to clog the heads (those silly "cleaning"
    sheets epson produce were no good at all). It also often left white lines
    in photos, even when I was using official ink. I'm currently using a C46,
    but only because I was given it. I've also got a Dell branded Lexmark
    hanging around as a backup, but I'll never be buying any "official" ink
    for it, because they're over £40 for a pair of carts.

    I'll probably go for a Canon next time, but it pains me to buy any
    printer in the current market.

    Dave.
  7. Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    everytime this subject of printers comes up after reading the replies
    you can't buy any brand because somebody somewhere had a bad
    experience with one brand at some time or another. I have had Hp's
    660c - 1230, Epson 777i - C60- 2x Epson large media printers, cannon
    s540, Lexmark 1001
    Lexmark was the worst, never did anything very well. The HP was fine
    but refilling those carts was a PITA. The Epson's run flawlessly, I
    don't refill any of the large media tanks as I need EXACT color
    matching for production work. The S540 is a breeze to refill 4
    separate color tanks, but why bother as the tanks are 6.50$. s540 is
    not a photo printer but DAMN good at it.

    Cheap carts for an HP are hard to come by, especially when the printer
    is a newer model.

    "Max -" <max.headroom@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am surprised at how expensive most dealers are for ink to refill
    > HP inkjets.
    >
    > Are there any decent UK suppliers who do not charge an arm and a
    > leg for a bottle of inkjet ink?
  8. Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:30:24 +0100, "Max -"
    <max.headroom@microsoft.com> wrote:

    >> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:51:36 +0100, "Max" wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I am surprised at how expensive most dealers are for ink to
    >>> refill HP inkjets.
    >>>
    >>> Are there any decent UK suppliers who do not charge an arm and
    >>> a leg for a bottle of inkjet ink?
    >

    >sam1967@hetnet.nl wrote:
    >>
    >> in the long run youd be far better off ditching it and getting
    >> an epson.
    >>

    >How is an Epson noticeably cheaper to run than an HP?

    i can get 12 refill cartridges for my epson c660 for £18 from
    www.britink.co.uk

    try that with a lexmark or an HP,

    they give those printers away because the ink is so dear

    a canon is also a good bet

    with any printer forget about the cost of the hardware and look at the
    cost of the ink.

    the reason the epson and canon refills are so cheap compared with hp
    and lexmark is that the print head is not on the ink cartridge as it
    is with the lexmark and hp.

    just go to www.britink.co.uk and compare the prices for epson, canon,
    hp and lexmark and then ask me the question again.
  9. Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > A friend's got an Epson, was a high end model when she got it. Brilliant
    > printer and yes, cheap as anything to run. But she prints stuff out every
    > other day, so there's never been any problems. I had a 600 though, didn't
    > use it for 2 months whilst moving. now bin fodder.

    Ever searched on the net about it ? - quite often the application of a
    little ammonia to the pad it sits on can sort out the dried out print
    heads :-}

  10. Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On 11 Aug 2004 09:39:17 GMT, Dave Higton <djhigton@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >gothika wrote:

    >>>How is an Epson noticeably cheaper to run than an HP?
    >>
    >> It's not, Epson's are much worse. Utter garbage.
    >> If you want to go to a different printer try Lexmark if you're
    >> outputing photo-images etc...
    >> If printing simple stuff like text get a Canon.
    >
    >Lexmark? This is a weird thread... previous comments I've seen on Lexmark
    >have related to high prices and mediocre quality.
    >
    >As for Epson, my old 740 proved very unreliable. Probably due to the
    >compatible carts, which seemed to clog the heads (those silly "cleaning"
    >sheets epson produce were no good at all). It also often left white lines
    >in photos, even when I was using official ink. I'm currently using a C46,
    >but only because I was given it. I've also got a Dell branded Lexmark
    >hanging around as a backup, but I'll never be buying any "official" ink
    >for it, because they're over £40 for a pair of carts.
    >
    >I'll probably go for a Canon next time, but it pains me to buy any
    >printer in the current market.
    >

    >Dave.

    True the consumer inkjet market is pretty woeful these days.
    We use Lexmarks and get good quality and reliability.
    I DO buy aftermarket ink and refill the cartridges.
    As for the price of cartridges, aren't all brands of inkjet cartridges
    overpriced?\
    I buy new blanks and fill them myself.(one advantage is most brands of
    aftermarket blanks aren't fused so they don't burn out after one or
    two cycles. the printheads will finally go out after 15-20 uses
    though.)
    I also use better quality inks than the oems so they never clog or
    skip.(Pantone fadeproof inks.)
    We do have a couple of Canon's that we use for office work and for
    simple text and graphics and they do very good work and are easy to
    refill as well.(I have A BJC1000 that is a snap to refill, is cheap to
    run and produce very sharp text and line-art.)
    I have a BJC6000 that I picked up very cheap that does fairly good
    color work.(I like it for it's separate ink tanks for each color.)
    For our production runs I have a plotter that you just pour the ink
    into.
  11. Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Gothinka, interesting post. I think you are in the US.

    gothika <Vampyres@nettaxi.com> wrote:

    > True the consumer inkjet market is pretty woeful these days.
    > We use Lexmarks and get good quality and reliability.
    > I DO buy aftermarket ink and refill the cartridges.
    > As for the price of cartridges, aren't all brands of inkjet
    > cartridges overpriced?

    I reckon the replacement ink market is pretty overpriced. £10 for
    two 40 ml bottles in Dixons. OK, so who really goes to Disxons for
    a bargain - no one. However Dixons and such stores help set a
    benchmark price.

    > I buy new blanks and fill them myself.(one advantage is most
    > brands of aftermarket blanks aren't fused so they don't burn
    > out after one or two cycles. the printheads will finally go
    > out after 15-20 uses though.)

    Where do you get aftermarket blank cartridges from?

    I would like to get some which are for HP and are specifically
    designed for refilling by having a hole already in the top.

    > I also use better quality inks than the oems so they never
    > clog or skip.(Pantone fadeproof inks.)

    Where do you buy that Pantone ink from? Google seems to suggest
    that Pantone is for artists. Perhaps your ink is "Pantone
    approved" rather than made by Pantone?
  12. Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:48:00 +0100, Lem <lem@mail.com> wrote:

    >Gothinka, interesting post. I think you are in the US.
    >
    >gothika <Vampyres@nettaxi.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> True the consumer inkjet market is pretty woeful these days.
    >> We use Lexmarks and get good quality and reliability.
    >> I DO buy aftermarket ink and refill the cartridges.
    >> As for the price of cartridges, aren't all brands of inkjet
    >> cartridges overpriced?
    >
    >I reckon the replacement ink market is pretty overpriced. £10 for
    >two 40 ml bottles in Dixons. OK, so who really goes to Disxons for
    >a bargain - no one. However Dixons and such stores help set a
    >benchmark price.
    >

    >> I buy new blanks and fill them myself.(one advantage is most
    >> brands of aftermarket blanks aren't fused so they don't burn
    >> out after one or two cycles. the printheads will finally go
    >> out after 15-20 uses though.)
    >
    >Where do you get aftermarket blank cartridges from?

    www.nujet.com for blanks. Other ink companies sell them as well.

    Last time I checked MIS associates sold blanks as well.

    http://www.inksupply.com/

    http://www.inksupply.com/index.cfm?source=html/cartridges.html

    >I would like to get some which are for HP and are specifically
    >designed for refilling by having a hole already in the top.
    You can use a small drill bit to cut a hole.
    Others have used a hot nail to melt a hole in their HP cartridges,
    advantage of not having any shavings to contend with.(I've always
    drilled mine very slowly, the shaving then stays in one piece outside
    the cartridge.)
    Most refill kits come with a tool for making the hole in HP's as well.
    At any rate try the links.

    >> I also use better quality inks than the oems so they never
    >> clog or skip.(Pantone fadeproof inks.)
    >
    >Where do you buy that Pantone ink from? Google seems to suggest
    >that Pantone is for artists. Perhaps your ink is "Pantone
    >approved" rather than made by Pantone?

    Pantone is a standard reference. and while there IS a company by that
    name the only thing I've ever purchased from them was reference charts
    and actual offset inks.
    If an ink is referred to as being "pantone" it simply means that it is
    a reference match ink that meets the pantone standards.(Industry
    standard for the graphic arts/offset printing industry.)
    Pantone inks are used for precision color matching in the graphic arts
    industry.
    Pantone inks used in inkjets allow you to make reference quality
    proofs for the offset printers to match, ensuring no suprises when you
    you get the production work back from the printers.
    Using pantones designed for photographic work enable one to produce
    copy from an inkjet that matches actual photographic paper tones and
    colors.
    I get the pantone ink I use from a local printshop that a friend of
    mine has.(He uses a brand from Germany, I go in halves and cut my cost
    by buying high volume wholesale.)
    You shouldn't need Pantone unless you're in the pre-press/graphics
    business.(They do allow better control of color matching though.)

    Try this link:
    http://www.vansonink.com/inkjet/index.html

    Here's a link for Pantone, but their inks are very pricey:

    http://www.pantone.com/aboutus/aboutus.asp?idArticle=393&idPressRelease=177

    Here's a link for a London based company:

    http://www.designsupply.com/

    Here's a link that sheds some light on why Epsons piezio printhead
    printers are fatally flawed.
    Good article on the basics of correct ink type matching also.
    http://www.screenweb.com/inks/cont/inkstrategy.html

    For blanks try this link:

    http://www.weink.com/ecom/catalog/cartridge_empties_and_blanks_325005_products.htm
  13. Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 02:28:28 -0500, gothika <Vampyres@nettaxi.com>
    wrote:

    >Here's a link that sheds some light on why Epsons piezio printhead
    >printers are fatally flawed.
    ..........??
    >Good article on the basics of correct ink type matching also.
    >http://www.screenweb.com/inks/cont/inkstrategy.html

    A missing link? Now I am curious. May I ask you for it?
    Thanks.

    Geo
  14. Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:57:42 GMT, "GEO" Me@home.here wrote:

    >On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 02:28:28 -0500, gothika <Vampyres@nettaxi.com>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>Here's a link that sheds some light on why Epsons piezio printhead
    >>printers are fatally flawed.
    >.........??
    >>Good article on the basics of correct ink type matching also.
    >>http://www.screenweb.com/inks/cont/inkstrategy.html
    >
    > A missing link? Now I am curious. May I ask you for it?
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Geo

    Follow the link it mentions the reason early Epson printers had so
    many clog problems.
    >http://www.screenweb.com/inks/cont/inkstrategy.html

    Here's the paragraph:

    The ink must also be compatible with the plumbing that delivers it to
    the printhead. After the introduction of one early solvent-system
    piezo inkjet model, it was discovered that the ink corroded the supply
    lines to the printhead, creating metal fragments that chewed up the
    printheads when they got there. This was an expensive lesson for both
    the manufacturer and its customers.
  15. Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 00:39:32 -0500, gothika <Vampyres@nettaxi.com>
    wrote:

    >>http://www.screenweb.com/inks/cont/inkstrategy.html
    >
    >Here's the paragraph:
    >
    >The ink must also be compatible with the plumbing that delivers it to
    >the printhead. After the introduction of one early solvent-system
    >piezo inkjet model, it was discovered that the ink corroded the supply
    >lines to the printhead, creating metal fragments that chewed up the
    >printheads when they got there. This was an expensive lesson for both
    >the manufacturer and its customers.

    Thank you.

    Geo

Homebuilt Hewlett Packard Inkjet Systems